Bussiness in a mess!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joannesnails

Reaction score
Hi girls havent been on here in a while! My bussiness is in a real mess at the moment at first i was so busy till it reached May and its just dead i have about one client a week sometimes not even that. Ive put ads on the internet, im in the yellow pages and all i get it people ringing asking for waxing which i dont even do. Im not even sure if its worth continuing because it seems like its going nowhere i had regular clients coming every few weeks, now i havent even heard from them for about 2 months and ive sent promotion texts too them ive lost about 4 clients. Its nothing im doing wrong because they seem to love there nailsand was really regular clients.

any help would be appreicated x

aww bless ya, i havnt got any advice as im only just going to start up myself except good luck for the future.Im sire someone on here will give you some sound advice. xx

I haven't got my own salon but have you checked around your area to see if any other salons have opened up and there prices?

It seems strange that a large group of people have left your salon, I would check out your competition.. good luck x x

Sorry it is not going well for you. This must be soooo disheartening. Have you tried to find out why your clients are not coming back? You mention that they are happy with the work you do, but there must be a reason why they are not coming back, especially if they were regular clients.

Have they found somewhere less expensive? Has the credit crunch hit so hard that having beauty treatments is now just a luxury or is there a therapist in your area who is enticing business away from you etc......? xx

I really feel for you. as mentioned I think you need to do a bit of research
as to what has happened, maybe someone else has started up and offering
treatments cheaper and with the credit crunch people are choosing this technician.
Maybe a quick phone call to your old regulars asking how things are only you
haven't heard from them in a while and was checking everything was o.k. and telling them what great offers you have coming up or dropping a note through thier door. just an idea! i hope things pick up for you:hug:

could you get a friend or family member to ring people on your behalf?

write them a little script:

"Hello I'm ringing on behalf of Joanne just to check that everything has been Ok with your treatments."

"As she is a small business we are just compiling some market research to help build up her business, would you mind asking a few quick questions, this will only take under 5 minutes?"

"Would you say her treatments are
a) value for money b) an affordable necessity c) for a special occasion/treat?"

etc, etc, etc.

I did this in my salon after I noticed loads of clients were not returning!

It was scary hearing the truth, some hated my salon layout (one hated the colour of one of the walls which was aubergine -weird but true!). The majority hated a member of staff that worked for me stating reasons such as not waxing properly and leaving hears, her having BO and also what she talked about etc.

Sacked member of staff, changed the things the clients hated about my set up and sent a letter to the clients to state the new changes and my business improved greatly. Clients returned and new ones gained.

Give it a go its scary buy it can solve a multitude of problems.

Kate x

i am sure it all work out for you, dont give up!! Maybe give your shop a change! With new treatments, and offers!! cheap... they all be running back!!!

My mum said to me she goes for the price, and staff!!! More than the looks of the shop!!

but good luck chick :)

My hubs tells me that one of the most important things in business is client feedback.

Clients wont tell you what they dont like if you dont ask them.

Trish xxxxxxxxxx

Maybe try a really "wow" window display - try something all in one colour really bold that will get potential customers wondering whats going on... It might sound tacky but it works!

People are nosy and will want to find out more... once they begin to enquire hit them with some offers they can't refuse.

half your prices for one week and advertise, this may seem silly, but as long as you are covering the cost of product, it will keep you busy, enthusiastic, stop boredom and will lead to some business

Hi girls havent been on here in a while! My bussiness is in a real mess at the moment at first i was so busy till it reached May and its just dead i have about one client a week sometimes not even that. Ive put ads on the internet, im in the yellow pages and all i get it people ringing asking for waxing which i dont even do. Im not even sure if its worth continuing because it seems like its going nowhere i had regular clients coming every few weeks, now i havent even heard from them for about 2 months and ive sent promotion texts too them ive lost about 4 clients. Its nothing im doing wrong because they seem to love there nailsand was really regular clients.

any help would be appreicated x

Hi Joanne you said you do internet advertsing does this include a website? If so what is the address we could all have a look at it and perhaps offer a little advice on that as well as we can't actually see your salon. Keep your chin up we'll get you there!!
Love Fin

Hi hunny, sorry to hear business is not too good.

Some good advice on this thread already re: offers, window etc. Are you salon based or home based/mobile?

I work from home, I've noticed over the last 2 months that things are a little quieter, luckily I'm still pretty busy but I would say 10-20% down on the months before. I think some of it is definitely people pulling their horns in and not spending where they don't absolutely have to.

You mentioned you get calls for waxing. Could you do a waxing course so that you can oblige them? (I know, it all costs money doesn't it) Just wondered though.

Good luck, keep your chin up, I'm sure you'll get through this.

Hi hun

don't give up.....

Try what the others have suggested ie.... phoning previous clients, (if you have thier address send them a gift voucher) window display, check out your competition. and offer your neighbours (other shops near you) a discount for booking with you... i am just strating out and i am offering all new clients free polish and mini hand massage.
Change the salon around and have an open night.

unfortunatley with this credit crunch business is going to be slower as people have less money due to the change in tax bandwiths... fuel prices going up, and food being more expensive.
some people see haveing their nails done as a luxury they need to see it's a necessity.

Good luck babes... keep your chin you have worked hard to get where you are don't let it all go. :hug: :hug:

IMO you need to find out WHY clients aren't returning to you, the best way to get the info from them is to phone them personally, not via text message, but by picking up the phone and asking them, when you know the facts you can begin on making new foundations in order for them to return.

Hi Guys! Sorry i haven replied sooner my internet went down :mad:

I am home based i used to be mobile but then changed to home based which was fine with my regulars they come often so on.

I havent actualy asked any of them as to why they havent come back and i think thats a job that i need to do today. I think ive just been wimping out of it for a while. One of my clients who hasnt booked in ages she does allot of studying and is a very busy woman which i think may be a problem. But the thing is i had one lady come to me since i started the bussiness she stopped coming in begining of March and that last time she come she brought her mother with her and lets say her mother is very very very posh and i seem to have it stuck in my head that she didnt want her daughter in my house, as that week i was re-decorating the room so obviously things were a little upside down not too much though .
But today i am going to ask them why?

I do think i need to do a bit more advertising as where is been slow is sort of made me think whats the point it wont work anyway. Which i know is a bad attitude towards it but cant help but feel that way.

I think my prices are on average before i set up i checked all my local salons and slightly undercut them but not too much. So i dont think they could complain of price. I have tried several times with special offers knocking £5 off my treatments but nada nothing.

Thanks for all your support girls & guys xxxx

Latest posts

Back