Calgel users, do you use full well tips or well less tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pippadoodle

Reaction score
Im confused, and would just like to sort this out in my head.

Here goes, why is it, some educators i.e Calgel do not cut out the well in their full well tips, i.e applying the tip with full well to the nail and blending.

Other educators, mostly all I have trained with, have the well already cut out.

I use both methods, but would just like to know

do you Calgel users use the full well tips and which is your preferred method.

I am not a gel user but the smaller the contact area the more of the nail plate is exposed ,therefore the product adheres mainly the the natural nail rather than the tip hth's x

hi, like you i was trained to cut the well out or blend it out. so when i went to do the calgel training i was like urgh !!!! anyway i was told that for their purposes you have to do it their way but after initial training i could go back to my way. I also questioned the sawing action with the filing as i was told by them to do one direction only. i queried this as doug shoon said that as long as it was a 240 grit file it was ok to do it this way.

i am also looking in to doing their diamond assesment and have been told by them that i have to do the tip application the full well way and blend so i am a little hesitant at the moment as i dont see the point in doing it that way and would rather do it the way i was originally trainined.

but to be honest all companies do things different ways just like us techs so ultimately if the end result is the same should it matter !!!!

Im like you Tracey, I want to do the Diamond training and was told I would have to blend using the full well, I have always used Creative velocity and just love them.

I have been using the Calgel full well tips the last week and have just got used to blending the full well and using the resin instead of Creative Gel bond.

Just confuses me, but then that doesnt take much:lol:

I still think you are supposed to trim it down if it covers more than a third of the nail plate though, i did this on training.

I have used well less tips to because i had some and they have been fine and i have also put the gel over white tips and they have stayed put.

I didnt like the idea of the full well tips Calgel use So I will carry on using the ones I use now, which is a mixture of CND and pro imprerssions.

Hi, Calgels training is that you gel the nailbed where the tip is to go just a bit further up than the well would reach then apply the tip so you blend in without damage to the nail as the gel is in the way. Well thats the training obviously you would do what you prefer. If following Calgels way you would still take off some of the full well but not to a very thin well as you do for acrylic. Personally I preblend a tip and do not apply gel first and have about one third of the well left to put onto the nail. HTH pippadoodle

I was trained at college to blend the full tip, I love the Calgel way of doing this especially with the gel layer prior to applying the tip and before blending, there is far less a chance of damaging the nail plate doing it this way.

Joan

I was taught the same as Debbie, but also to trim down the well if necessary as Gillian said. As for filing in one direction - I again was told to file in both with a gel sculpt or a tip. Maybe different trainers have a slightly different angle on things.

Calgel do train you to apply gel first and then adhere the tip over this and blend. Once you are a bit more experienced and confident at this, then I'm sure you can cut the well back.

I am almost certain you could still apply the tip directly to the nail plate if you are confident with your blending technique. When I first trained with Pronails we were taught using full well tips as this is best for newbies to nails. But personally I prefer a smaller well now that I have had some experience.

Those who use tips, (some all of the time, and some only when they feel sculpting is not an option) should be trying to get as close to a sculpted nail as possible. To do this, it is necessary to blend away the tip well area (for clarity) and to thin the rest of the tip (for strength).
The product is always stronger than a tip so thinning out the tip is important so that the most product can go on top of the tip and still have it look thin and beautiful. In other words, you are only using your tip as a foundation or a 'canvas' for the product to cling to.

This may help .

It apllies to l+p and gel of any brand hth's x

Latest posts

Back