Calgel vs Young nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonailtech

Reaction score
at the moment i am a calgel user but i am not 100% happy with or comfortable using it, i have a few problems with it, my biggest one being that nearly all my clients go for the french tips or french overlay, and the white goes discoloured for basicly anything as it is porous, you cant even put hands in poket if you are wearing a dark coat, and yes i know that clients should be doing there aftercare but lets face it not everyone is willing to fork out more money for the aftercare products after paying to have there nails done!
anyway im thinking of doing a young nails conversion course using there acrylic, and i have a few questions: is acrylic easier to apply than gel?
do you young nail users have problems with your white getting discoloured??
is young nails customer service good can you ring them for advice or problems?
i have never used acrylic and one thing that is scaring me is that it is a file off and i am used to soak off which is sooo easy..
i am sorry for going on i just cant decide whether to stick with calgel or go for the young nails acrylic system?????

Hi :hug:

I use YN acrylic, I havent tried calgel so can't compare, but I can tell you what I think of YN :)

I have never experienced any discolouration at all, the colours are perfect, and the clear is my fave, it embeds art like nothing else, its so clear its perfect! And the white stays white for as long as it stays on the nail.
I find acrylic much easier than gel, but thats just me, it is probably different for everyone, but its definately less mucking around (no lights to cure etc)
For acrylic systems the only aftercare that they will need to buy is a small bottle of cuticle oil, which you could even include in your price for a full set so they dont feel like they are paying extra for it.
In my experience their customer service is good, but im in a different country so thats pretty irrelevant to you.
You can soak off acrylic... in acetone, and YN acrylic is quite good to soak off.
Hope this helps you in your decision :hug:

i dont really get any probs with my white gel and i use calgel are you putting a coat of calcrystal on when you finish and capping the edges etc? seem a shame to give it up why dont you give them a ring to see if they can help?

i dont really get any probs with my white gel and i use calgel are you putting a coat of calcrystal on when you finish and capping the edges etc? seem a shame to give it up why dont you give them a ring to see if they can help?

ya i am hon it does not happen to my own nails when i do them as i do my aftercare and it doesnt happen all clients, and i know it is because the clients are not doing aftercare but i have already lost clients because of it and i cant afford for this to keep happening, i really like using calgel, and i spoke to someone from calgel and were helpfull and are sending me some stuff on how to prevent this.. but i am still interested in acrylic regardless and i dont plan on giving up calgel completely but it would be nice to be able to do both xx

glad calgel are trying to help you out!
i do L&P too aswell as gel i do mine with nsi and it is definately been worth my while offering both but most of my clients that come back to me/my regulars come back because of the calgel!!!
i wouldnt say L&P is easier or harder to apply than gel just very different!
i love doing both!
good luck!
oh and L&P generally is soak off too (correct me if im wrong someone!)
so no worries about filing it off!

glad calgel are trying to help you out!
i do L&P too aswell as gel i do mine with nsi and it is definately been worth my while offering both but most of my clients that come back to me/my regulars come back because of the calgel!!!
i wouldnt say L&P is easier or harder to apply than gel just very different!
i love doing both!
good luck!
oh and L&P generally is soak off too (correct me if im wrong someone!)
so no worries about filing it off!

thanks hon, i am def gonna stick with the calgel for awhile anyway im new to nails so i have to give it a chance some of my probs could be that im doing something wrong..... i didnt realise most l&p is soak off when i spoke to young nails rep she said it was file off but i did not ask her if you could soak off also, i think another thing thats annoying me abouth calgel is that i cant order from england and they have more products than you can get here (well i could prob get anything if i made a request) and also its alot more expensive here (along with every bloody thing else) xx

Hi
Theres some good news for you.
Young Nails do a soak off gel!
Its called Mani Q (which if this is what your used to and what you wish to continue with - could be the answer)
Call Young Nails in Ireland and Im sure they'd be happy to help you.
If they, as we in the UK, have samples then it would be a great introduction for you
Hope this helps
Lisa x

at the moment i am a calgel user but i am not 100% happy with or comfortable using it, i have a few problems with it, my biggest one being that nearly all my clients go for the french tips or french overlay, and the white goes discoloured for basicly anything as it is porous, you cant even put hands in poket if you are wearing a dark coat, and yes i know that clients should be doing there aftercare but lets face it not everyone is willing to fork out more money for the aftercare products after paying to have there nails done!
anyway im thinking of doing a young nails conversion course using there acrylic, and i have a few questions: is acrylic easier to apply than gel?
do you young nail users have problems with your white getting discoloured??
is young nails customer service good can you ring them for advice or problems?
i have never used acrylic and one thing that is scaring me is that it is a file off and i am used to soak off which is sooo easy..
i am sorry for going on i just cant decide whether to stick with calgel or go for the young nails acrylic system?????

Hi
I am trained with calgel but got fed up with the discolouring, loved the coloured gel tho.
Would you still rather use a gel ? I switched to Le Chat and have never looked back, white stays white, its a soak off, its stronger than Calgel and you can even get a gel top coat to use on heavier handed clients

Hi
I am trained with calgel but got fed up with the discolouring, loved the coloured gel tho.
Would you still rather use a gel ? I switched to Le Chat and have never looked back, white stays white, its a soak off, its stronger than Calgel and you can even get a gel top coat to use on heavier handed clients

i dont really mind whether its gel or l&p altho i would prefer to try l&p just to have both, is le chat gel or l&p?? it sounds good anyway im totally sick of the discolouring i have lost loads of clients over it, yes the coloured gel is great i have to agree

the lechat lilly refers too is lechats nobility soak off gel. i find it very successful. and it applies in much the same manner as the system you are using.you'll find it very favourably priced too.
see some examples of lechat work on my website and blogspot as well as some tutorials.

id say applying liqiud and powder acrylic is quite a bit more difficult to apply than a soak off gel.it takes qiute some time to get to a standard that you can offer to clients.

the other thing to consider is a harder non soak gel. as this will incorporate techniques you are more familiar with, you'd get to grips with it more quickly.

there is also a l/p system from lechat, its called nail architecture.

I have little experience of soak offs tho I do use a paint on Christrio soak off occasionally and it is completely different to a buff off system. Young Nails gels are fantastic, I've never tried mani-q as I no longer use Young gels as I use Brisa But I will say it is a fantastic product and the l&p is also brilliant for beginners and works like a dream. I find its too slow for me now so use moxie.
Young Ireland are lovely to work with and have great courses and back up. i have recently received this years training dates so give Liz a call on 018991200 and get her to send them onto you.
I would wait until the IPBA show and see it demo'd in action before I invested which is only a few weeks away

I am a Calgel user. I find it is the clear that discolours not the white, when the clear is over the white in French. It shows up more over the white.
I buy the big pot and decant into small pot so the big pot is not exposed to the sunlight. It stays lovely when I see clients for infils.

I also use other gels with Calgel. ie. I use Brisa paint on white over calgel for a bright white french. You have to remove the sticky layer and buff before you put Calgel on top (so neither gel touch each other wet).

I'm sure any paint on white would work, Ibd do both buff off and soak off
and I use and love both.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back