Calling All Prep-Perfectionists - Recommendations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelloCloe

Reaction score
Hey Girlys!

I'm Cloe, I've been reading the threads on this forum for ages so I figured it's time I posted something!

So, I noticed some of you are incredibly vigilant when it comes to prep...as am I! With that...what are some of your tips? Your favourite prep products? Things you couldn't do with out when prepping? Do's and don'ts?

Everyones opinions are different, but I'm incredibly interested to hear what you'd recommend! :)

I use to clip the cuticals on everyone after pushing them back but I came across an alarming artical and now I never clip them, its unnessasary and I havent noticed a difference in anyone so I will not clip inless the cutical is extreamly long or on myself. here is the artical if you are curious :)
Woman Gets $3.1M in Herpes Manicure Case - ABC News

I couldnt live without my curette.

I, personally always dry prep and use a curette to remove every last trace of dead tissue from the nail and the side walls in particular. After that I use a nail brush with cleanser (whichever brand you use is fine) to scrub away any last bit of dust and debris.

I actually really enjoy prep now. Before I had always a bit of lifting but not since! :green:

I use to clip the cuticals on everyone after pushing them back but I came across an alarming artical and now I never clip them, its unnessasary and I havent noticed a difference in anyone so I will not clip inless the cutical is extreamly long or on myself. here is the artical if you are curious :)
Woman Gets $3.1M in Herpes Manicure Case - ABC News

You are very misinformed, my dear.

Yes, some people cut the true cuticle. As long as you are trained and insured to do so, it is perfectly fine to trim the NON-LIVING tissue that we sometimes find after pushing back the cuticles and using a curette.

There is a lot of CRAP in that article ie bringing your own implements. I would NEVER do a manicure on a client who brought their own implements. I don't know what they're made out of, and I certainly will not be putting them in my own disinfecting solution. They are most certainly going to be below par quality-wise and I'm not taking a chance when it's my own reputation on the line.

They also call fungus under artificial nails "infections", which it is not. It is also possible this client had the virus on her hands, and the poorly trained tech cut her cuticle and provided a vehicle of transmission for the virus.

Girls, if we believe everything we read, we might as well pack up and hide in nuclear bunkers. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, and consider that there is always two sides to a story. This woman seems to be a bit of a moaner saying "I can't live a normal life". Yes, getting herpes DOES suck. Yes, I know people who HAVE it. Yes, they live perfectly normal lives and NO they did not sue the people who gave it to them.

Obviously the tech still ends up being at fault, but if we are trimming the proper tissue, this wont happen.

And that is the end of my rant.

I could not live without my NSI cuticle dissolve or curette x

I completely understand the paranoia of a consumer who wishes to bring her own clippers etc. Pre CND's arrival in my country proper implement sanitation was almost non existent. When I was a consumer of nail tech services, many techs would not even prep a client and would wipe or wash tools with bleach or Dettol and re-use those tools on the next client. I remember asking one particular nail tech if she practised universal sanitation. She said no and told me that I should trust the nail tech to know what she was doing. Proper prep and sanitation is still not practised by many techs here. I am glad that I waited until CND came to my country to study nail technology. I empathise with client paranoia as it is is often well founded. I myself am striving to become a prep geek.

I completely understand the paranoia of a consumer who wishes to bring her own clippers etc. Pre CND's arrival in my country proper implement sanitation was almost non existent. When I was a consumer of nail tech services, many techs would not even prep a client and would wipe or wash tools with bleach or Dettol and re-use those tools on the next client. I remember asking one particular nail tech if she practised universal sanitation. She said no and told me that I should trust the nail tech to know what she was doing. Proper prep and sanitation is still not practised by many techs here. I am glad that I waited until CND came to my country to study nail technology. I empathise with client paranoia as it is is often well founded. I myself am striving to become a prep geek.

Yes, that's nice and all. But just because previously poor techniques were in place, doesn't mean someone should apply that to today. I would never use someone's own implements. And any tech that does is jeopardizing their reputation and their client's safety.

Curette!!
+ ScrubFresh!!!

My curette, my NSI Vanish (cuticle disolver) and NSI Nail Pure Plus to help dehydrate temporarily and I'm one happy tech with happy clients.

I don't know I ever survived without the curette before....Oh! hang on yes I do:) I had heaps of lifting:cry: and here I was thinking I was doing it thoroughly, HA! What a joke that was.

Sorry to jump in - what's curette please? X

Hi all
Reading about most people's love of curettes I've just ordered one to see what they are like. .. Qu is how to use it in a dry prep.. Do I push cuticles back using cuticle pusher then use curette in small circular motions? Then clean off dust and debris?
Thanks

A curette is a great tool, it has like a small scoop (sort of looks like a very tiny icecream scoop) on one end and it can very as the other end depending on what brand.
Go to The FingernailFixer you tube site and check out her video on correct prep and you will see why we all love them so much.

As for a dry prep, yes I would use cuticle pusher to gently push back or you can use the edge of the curette I sometimes use this and then just use curette as normal, then yes just wipe of all dust really well.

Can I say though, from what I have seen, if it's a new set and new client, it is always best to use some form of cuticle dissolve, the reason why is it helps to breakdown the natural cement that keeps the cuticle attached and without it, I don't see how you could ever remove all the cuticle thoroughly.
After the first service or 2 and after it's all removed and they get regular rebalances/mani's, then I find there is no need to use any product cause it doesn't get a chance to grow back in time.

This video is a MUST-WATCH for a thorough prep of the nails Removing Cuticle....the real cuticle - YouTube I love it :D

Still need the curette though but even since getting a proper cuticle pusher the lifting has improved 100%!!!

Thank u Wooshka
I was wondering if I needed the cuticle dissolve on rebalances so thanks for letting me know the cuticle dissolve should be used just on new clients.

Great video thanks

Last edited:
Thanks EmilyS good vid x

A curette is a great tool, it has like a small scoop (sort of looks like a very tiny icecream scoop) on one end and it can very as the other end depending on what brand.
Go to The FingernailFixer you tube site and check out her video on correct prep and you will see why we all love them so much.

As for a dry prep, yes I would use cuticle pusher to gently push back or you can use the edge of the curette I sometimes use this and then just use curette as normal, then yes just wipe of all dust really well.

Can I say though, from what I have seen, if it's a new set and new client, it is always best to use some form of cuticle dissolve, the reason why is it helps to breakdown the natural cement that keeps the cuticle attached and without it, I don't see how you could ever remove all the cuticle thoroughly.
After the first service or 2 and after it's all removed and they get regular rebalances/mani's, then I find there is no need to use any product cause it doesn't get a chance to grow back in time.

I have never had to use any kind of product to dissolve any tissue. I have had lots of new clients and new nails and have had no problems with lifting or anything else. I have been in this industry a very long time so maybe this is the reason I can remove everything without any problems. With clients who have thicker skin then I do it gently and in stages. :)

You are very misinformed, my dear.

Yes, some people cut the true cuticle. As long as you are trained and insured to do so, it is perfectly fine to trim the NON-LIVING tissue that we sometimes find after pushing back the cuticles and using a curette.

There is a lot of CRAP in that article ie bringing your own implements. I would NEVER do a manicure on a client who brought their own implements. I don't know what they're made out of, and I certainly will not be putting them in my own disinfecting solution. They are most certainly going to be below par quality-wise and I'm not taking a chance when it's my own reputation on the line.

They also call fungus under artificial nails "infections", which it is not. It is also possible this client had the virus on her hands, and the poorly trained tech cut her cuticle and provided a vehicle of transmission for the virus.

Girls, if we believe everything we read, we might as well pack up and hide in nuclear bunkers. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, and consider that there is always two sides to a story. This woman seems to be a bit of a moaner saying "I can't live a normal life". Yes, getting herpes DOES suck. Yes, I know people who HAVE it. Yes, they live perfectly normal lives and NO they did not sue the people who gave it to them.

Obviously the tech still ends up being at fault, but if we are trimming the proper tissue, this wont happen.

And that is the end of my rant.

I dont really care if its untrue, if there is a chance that could happen I would never risk anything like that. Im as clean as possible, I never use the same sanding bits of zebra files on anybody, and im very carful! So I noticed clipping cuticals isnt needed for my clients. Noone has any lifting, and I feel more confortable when doing their nails. oh and I would never use someone impliments ont hem either... I know where mine have been.

scrubfresh,pushie and the probe:D

Latest posts

Back