Calling all previously smoking geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florriedee

Reaction score
Hi All

I have just given up smoking and its going well so far. During the day is fine mainly, although I do sometimes reach for my cigarettes when I'm in the car but I put another polo in my mouth and off I go. My problem is after supper. I REALLY want a cigarette at that point and polos are not cutting the mustard there! I need something to have instead that is as much of a reward as a cigarette if you understand what I mean. I really enjoyed smoking and now I feel that one of my hobbies has been taken away. I need something else to look forward to and I need your help with ideas. Ideally it won't make me fat either! Did anyone else have similar problems and if so how did you deal with it? I know I can do it but I want it to be more fun if you understand, I want something to look forward to. And just saving £5 a day for a big treat isn't working either - I've tried that one!

Any ideas greatfully received!

The way i gave up was firstly, keeping busy and secondly, changing every part of my daily routine around. I found getting in the car to go home after a day at work the worst one for me to miss so i changed my working hours, made plans to go out straight from work or had a favorite cd to sing along to for taking my mind of it- i love a good belter to put me in a good mood so this worked great for me!
For the after dinner one i ate out often instead of at home, had a lighter dinner that i would pick at rather then sit down to eat or have a nice big pudding instead 9but that didnt work as welll as i'd often want one after pud!)
One of my 'techniques' was to put it off- i'd think to myself "i'll have one in a minute if i still want one that bad", i done quite well with that one as i have the memory of a fish and often just forgot.
For me it was the routine that i was used to rather then a physical need for a cigarette.
I also found i was pregnant though so that was the final nail in the coffin for my habit.
Good luck!

Watch your toes guys as my halo is about to slip. :lol:

I know I look far too innocent to smoke but I did a few years ago and the above advice from Kayley is really good. I was lucky that work got so busy I never had time for a lunch break at all so no ciggies (which helped).
I also found changing every part of my daily routine made it that much easier as it's more habit isn't it.

I don't know if it will help but I had a go on one of those fake ciggies, inhalators I think they're called and it was just like having a fag! but I assume you are looking for something non ciggie related yes?

I will have a damn good think for you.

P.s wrote in pink just cause!!:lol:

It is at the end of the day all about what has already been advised. Change your habits so that you don't associate what you are doing with a ciggie. I know after tea is a hard one but you said supper?

Some peeps call tea supper so not sure what time of day you are referring to. If it is that you eat something later on at night, then don't do it change it and do something else.

Good luck though with your quest, it is four years since I gave up and I have saved a fortune. I would never have been able to give up working in an office and setting up my own business if I was still a smoker, I just couldn't have afforded it.

Set yourself a goal to go for, like a fantastic holiday, etc.

You do have to change your routines. I WAS a three pack a day smoker...how awful is that?!? Anyway, the best thing to do is go for a walk after supper. It'll change your routine and your mindset.

I went to a hypnotist to quit and every time I wanted a ciggie, I said to myself, "I will not smoke, I will not smoke". It really did help.

Best of luck to you! :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I did mean tea when I said supper - or I think I did, I meant the last main meal of the day. Today I found some nicotine gum stuff which I bought a while ago and it is great! It really makes me not want to kill everyone (always nice for the family) and I think I might have a go at Stephen's inhaling thing - I'll see if I can find a pharmacist tomorrow. I was on anti-smoking drugs but they started making me feel sick, even when I had eaten, which they hadn't been before so I stopped taking them and I was fine for about 3 days and then it hit me! It's not true what the gum packet says about the craving only lasting a few minutes - I had it for an hour before I found the gum. I was seriously tempted to buy some ciggarettes at one point. I think I will give the gum and the inhaler a try and see what happens! Thanks for the advice all - perhaps I'll try hypnosis too just for the belt and braces effect! Only thing is I will then have to wean myself off the nicotine replacement! Nightmare!Lol Lx

Firsty - bloody well done...............

i gave up a few times, the last time i managed 4 months (champix) but i put too much weight on. dieting dont work for me as i dont eat enough as it is, so when i try to lose weight with diets they dont work.

i would recommend the champix tho. they worked for me, till i put too much weight on, and that for me was the trigger to wmoke again, but by god i so wish it hadnt, it would have been a year for me now if i had not been so bloody hung up on my weight.

get some champix flower, from the smoking clinics, they will get you thro the hardest part.

very well done again

:hug:

Latest posts

Back