Can anyone recommend a good 'mattifying' face cream or gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BotoxBoy

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I used to use Triaktilane cream to mattify my forehead as it gets really oily, especially after having my botox done but the company has stopped trading!

I have tried the Dermalogica Medibac Clearing Mattifier which is good but quite expensive at £30-40...

Does anyone know of any other products out there from some of the other brands like Eve Taylor or Environ?!

Anyone know the costs?

Adam

Decleor do one called AROMA PURETÉ – MATT FINISH SKIN FLUID, which is about £22.

Thanks! Going to try and find some samples before I buy!

I really like the dermalogica clearing mattifier...but another one thats really good is Murad Oil Control Mattifier.....Neals yard also do a good one but it can look a little powdery...cant for the life of me remember what its called though...or if you want really effective but really cheep try Phillips Milk of Magnesia.....i swear, its the best...google it..look on makeupally for reviews or on youtube...its amazing...basically all the high end oil control mattifiers contain...magnesium.

I really like the dermalogica clearing mattifier...but another one thats really good is Murad Oil Control Mattifier.....Neals yard also do a good one but it can look a little powdery...cant for the life of me remember what its called though...or if you want really effective but really cheep try Phillips Milk of Magnesia.....i swear, its the best...google it..look on makeupally for reviews or on youtube...its amazing...basically all the high end oil control mattifiers contain...magnesium.
is it the pore minimiser from Neal's Yard bagpuss?

I use gerard's rebalance and it has stopped me having oily skin so am sure it would work but is probably as expensive as the first two mentioned.

Dermalogica clearing matifier - get some samples from the salon its excellent!

Decleor do one called AROMA PURETÉ – MATT FINISH SKIN FLUID, which is about £22.

This is the moisturiser I use and it is fantastic value for money, lasts for ages to.

i use the body shop seaweed moisturiser for oily combination skin and find this really helps. I also bought an asda young skin mattifying moisturiser thats about £1 when i had forgotten to pack mine when i went to visit my sister.

It is absolutely fantastic but i find it it too controlling for my skin as it isn't very oily.

I use the body shop seaweed moisturiser... And love it. Ive tried loads before but would deffo recommened the body shop. If u go to the shop you can sample it also.

Sent from my GT-I5801 using SalonGeek

Darphin Skin mat! You can purchase Darphin 'Skin mat balancing serum' which you can put underneath any moisturiser to matify excess oil on the skin. Or 'Skin mat moisturiser' which again reduces oil on the skin while keeping the correct moisture balance the skin needs. x

Academie normalising fluid which matifys and moisturises

Adam, do you not have an account with Wigmore or MedFx, there are many cosmeceutical products which you could purchase from them. I would contact them and ask for some samples. SkinCeuticals or AgeraRx to name a couple.

Urban Decay de-slick in a tube! its about £18 xx

Neal's Yard Wild Rose SPF 30 Daily moisture gives a lovely matte finish to skin, makes it look really flawless! However it feels quite greasey/bit gritty when applying, which takes a bit of getting use to. Once it's on it's great though, however i would only recommend it for oily skin as it can be quite drying on normal/drier skin types.

I've also tried primers from Arbonne and No7 to mattify my skin. They are for use over your moisturiser and can be worn under your make-up, but can also be worn without make up. I don' t wear foundation, but don't like the shiny look either and find some mattifying moisturisers a bit drying so have found a primer perfect to wear over my normal moisturiser to even out imperfections and avoid the unsighlty shine! :)

Almost forgot prices... Neal's Yard - £23.50, No7 under £10 and Arbonne £25ish

hey !

I have oily skin and have been using Eminence Pink Grapefruit C-Gel. It moisturizing and leaves no shine on the skin whatsoever ! And controls the oil throughout the day ! It is moderately priced but a little goes a long way !

Just a couple of other thoughts:

Think about your moisturiser application; make sure you don't wallop (technical term!) it onto your forehead first.
Consider whether hair products are impacting on your forehead skin.

I mention these as a male friend was helped by these tips.

Clarins do a great mattifying range! The consultants on counter are usually very helpful and will let you have some samples to try.;)

Out of interest BotoxBoy, how did you get on?

Ive got the most oily skin imaginable.......... ive tried everything, even milk of magnesia which everyone swears by but it doesnt work for me.
the best thing ive tried is a product called nanoblur. (can buy in boots for £19.99) This product is said to take 10 years off you instantly by creating a 'blurred' effect on the skin........ like soft focus. So thats a load of cr*p, it definately doesnt make me look 10 years younger but my god its matte! very very matte! you can wear it with no make up as its a clear cream but i use it under my mineral powder foundation and my face looks amazing.
To sum it up, the product doesnt do exactly what it says, you wont look 10 years younger but it does make your skin look amazing and completely matte! and for that its well worth the money!

claire x

Out of interest BotoxBoy, how did you get on?

I've still got plenty of triaktiline and dermalogica left but when I run out I'll re invest...

However I find the triaktiline gives me horrible spots whereas the dermalogica doesn't so have ditched the triaktiline anyway!

Latest posts

Back