Can clients skin be resistant to spray tan???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddi

Reaction score
When I was first practising my spray tanning I was testing out various solutions on different victims err volunteers and asking them to give honest feedback about how the tan took, what it looked like, smells, patchiness, fading etc etc so I could see how different tans were.

Anyway I sprayed my sister with the darker of the fake bakes (cant remember its name) while I did other sister and nieces and son/daughter etc in other tans. Most came out ok, some where lighter than expected, but was all good as at least I had an indication of what the different % where like etc..

However my sisters tan did not show up at all!! She followed all the aftercare advice to the letter - I gave them all a copy and made sure they knew it was important to follow as it was to help me etc.. So I said, ok then fake bakes not for you i will tan you again with something else..

Anyway I had already used my 20% OMG solution on a couple of other girls who were darker skinned and each time it came out a lovely dark brown. So I thought right - I will use this one on her - she HAS to go brown now!! She kept her big knickers on lol so we had a nice big white area to compare with... I saw her today (sprayed her yesterday teatime) and she has got a slight tan, you can tell by looking at her white bits! but not a 20% tan more of a 10% tan!!

Help!!! Why has her skin not taken again!! She didn't exfoliate this time, and had some patches on her legs - though I did say she might be patchy there as her skin was dry, so was expecting that, but why hasn't the tan taken properly?? Do you think she has awkward skin!!?? :rolleyes: haha

I dont want this happening to a paying client.

maybe its something she is putting on her skin before the tan that is causing a barrier? not necessarily moisturiser but maybe a highly moisturising shower gel? sea salt scrub (very oily) or similar?

I would ask her to just exfoliate with plain soap and water and see if that makes a difference?

Thanks, will find out what she is using!

Can be she is on medication that can affect the tan?

ooohh Sarah - I know she is on HRT, could this affect the skin?? hmm got me thinking now!! :idea: <<< thats me thinking by the way!! haha hormones affects the skins pH balance doesn't it?? Is that right or am I way off track?

I know she doesn't really use shower gels and doesn't touch soaps as she has quite sensitive skin...

Yes HRT increases the collagen and moisture in the skin and strengthens the barrier. Sebum production also increases.

Ahh!! Thanks for that hun!! That would explain the 'diluted' tan then! She said they did notice at work she was tanned, but like she said it should of been a lot darker with being a 20% it was more of a nice shade of 10-12% :rolleyes:

At least I now know this is something I should be aware of! This is one question for the consultation card me thinks!!

And thanks again - you have just saved me from a midnight search of HRT and how it affects the skin! x
Though I will more than likely have a quick research tomorrow!! ;)

Latest posts

Back