Cancellation policy do you actually charge ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a no show policy. I ask for 12 hours notice, i also text them 24 hours before the appointment and i ask in the text to text back within 12 hours if they cant make it or they will be charged (though i dont often enforce it).

I always give a 1st no show the benefit of the doubt, after that if they do it again, I leave them a card saying i have been, and ask them to call to me . when they do I point to out the cancellation charge and I agree to waive it if they have a genuine reason.

But, I wont book them in again unless they pay a deposit via a cheque posted to me ( I am not going to drive to them again!) . I am mobile and live rurally, I cant be driving around north wales for clients that cant be bothered to be in . I have only had to sack one client.

I open the salon in 4 ish weeks and then i will revise the policy, we will be taking a small deposit for all bookings except from my regular ladies who have been with me from the start.

I don't think this is good for business. People usually have a good reason for cancelling their appointment and most I think respect the fact of having to give you a bit of notice to book someone else in their place.
I usually keep my eye on the clients that do have a habbit of cancelling and will say to them that this is the only appointment for a while now and they do usually stick to it. And hey if they really do annoy me then i'm just faaaar to busy to fit them in ;)

I don't think this is good for business. People usually have a good reason for cancelling their appointment and most I think respect the fact of having to give you a bit of notice to book someone else in their place.
I usually keep my eye on the clients that do have a habbit of cancelling and will say to them that this is the only appointment for a while now and they do usually stick to it. And hey if they really do annoy me then i'm just faaaar to busy to fit them in ;)

It seems most of us who do charge are for the no-showers rather than the last minute cancellers. It's actually the no-showers who are not good for business.

The timing of this thread is very useful!

I for one am very grateful for this thread, as a couple of recent last-minute cancellations have driven me mad. Reading all your posts has made me realise that of course people have genuine reasons for last-minute cancellations and they're not necessarily abusing my good nature(!). Being mobile, I really am unable to either enforce a cancellation policy or take many deposits as I get a few last-minute bookings, but what I'll definitely do from now on is to take a deposit for any party bookings. This thread has made me accept that last-minute cancellations and perhaps the odd no-show are part and parcel of the business and it's very reassuring that everyone - salons and mobiles - experiences these let-downs every now and then. In the words of that annoying pink-haired contestant on Big Brother a couple of years ago, I'll just have to "deal with it". Thanks all xx

To be honest, cancellations are fairly rare and as 99% of my clients are hardcore regulars, when something happens to stop them coming, I'm not going to penalise them for it, because there's usually a reason. If I was a loyal and regular client for a number of months/years I think I'd be a bit miffed at being charged.

Mainly, no-shows are first timers and then I just shrug and think well if that's an example of what they're like, maybe its just as well they didn't come.

As someone said on this thread, its virtually impossible to chase them up anyway, you send an invoice, they don't pay, then what? Not worth the trouble.

I prefer to put my energies into something positive. :hug:

I had a table at a place where most of my business was passing trade, and not the em.. most socially adept side of society. The no shows were horrific, up until I started charging a deposit, suddenly everyone either phoned to change their appointment or actually turned up:eek:
And it gave me the perfect opening for getting them to rebook. I'd say, would you like to carry your deposit forward to you next appointment?
Saved me a lot of high blood pressure moments:lol:

I have one but just to deter the useless ones that might not show up. Seems to work.....:)

I never used to charge until one day I had five no shows and that really annoyed me so now I say I will charge and do charge. All my clients know about it and my genuine clients totally understand that I am running a business and will pay 50% of the treatment cost if they miss their appointment.

I take deposits on all longer appointments and use vouchers on appointments too, especially new clintes as these are the ones who tend to just not show up.

I do make allowances for people that are ill etc, but no shows are just rude it doesnt take a minute to phone and cancel. i am not pushy when it comes to rebooking so it is completely their choice if they want an appointment.

The way I see it is that they are paying for my time if they no longer want the appointment they they only have to make a quick phonecall to tell me. you wouldnt go into a shop and take something without paying for it.

I tend to get a lot of no shows so have had to do this I undertand if you very rarely get them, and I have maybe lost a few clients because of this but if they were not turning up them I dont really want them as clients anyway.

Latest posts

Back