Cancellation policy do you actually charge ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyP

Reaction score
I have done some looking round on the site regarding cancellation policies and most people seem to say have them, however do you actually charge people if they don't show ? and secondly do those people then rebook ?

My staff are actually asking me to implement a policy and i am nervous as if it was me and someone threatened to charge me for cancelling an appointment I may be tempted to look for another salon.

Finally when do you charge them, on their next visit or before you book another appointment for them ?

Many thanks

Think positive !!

There's a lot of talk of this but in all honesty I can't see how it works.
Someone fails to attend.....you send them a bill....they don't pay it...what then??
You don't see them again for dust.
Taking a non returnable deposit is a winner though.

I find this really interesting, as I have seen it many times on Mobile Beauty therapists websites, and wondered how they get the charge out of the client, and how they can make them pay any charge for cancelling last minute or for not being in when appointment is due.

If it was a new client and they did this, they probably wouldn't book with the therapist again after failing to meet an appointment, so how would any therapist get the charge from the client.

I have had 1 or 2 clients (new) not be in when I have called and they didnt have the decency to inform me nor get back in touch again later. I wouldn't put any charge to them for it as I wouldn't get it. I think it is all part of being in business, you have to take the rough with the smooth. You loose money but you gain it also.

If they cancel last minute and make a habit of it or fail to turn up then they are clients we can do without IMO.

I never charge (I just mumble obcenities LOL).

If I was charged for a missed appointment, |I wouldn't go back and I would tell everyone what they did.

Bad business move. Cancellations are usually genuine and no shows are rare. xxx

There's a lot of talk of this but in all honesty I can't see how it works.

Same here

The majority of clients who don't turn up or cancel last minute in my salon tend to be new customers, who we only have a name and contact number for, so we wouldn't even have anywhere to send a bill!

Mobile therapists maybe able to implement it a little bit easier though, as they would have the address of the client anyway

Same here

The majority of clients who don't turn up or cancel last minute in my salon tend to be new customers, who we only have a name and contact number for, so we wouldn't even have anywhere to send a bill!

Mobile therapists maybe able to implement it a little bit easier though, as they would have the address of the client anyway

Yes but even so.....what would you do? Go round and DEMAND the money...HELL knows where you're going or who could be there!!
Write it off and put it down to experience.:hug:
Life's way too short.

DO keep a blacklist though!!!

In my price list I state a charge may be made although I never have purely because most of the clients that do cancel last minute or don't turn up are new and then never rebook so would be impossible to get the money off them.

However I did have one client that used to mess me about loads, she would book a treatment virtually every week then more often than not miss the appointment without phoning. She would then call the following week and re-book then tell me how she hadn't been able to make it because she had to go food shopping, visit a friend etc !!! The last time she did it I advised her that if she missed another appointment without giving suitable notice I would have to charge her in advance for all future appointments. She hasn't been back since !! Some would probably say this backfired on me but I have worked out it has actually saved me money as she was missing on average 2 appointments per month and only turning up for cheaper treatments like eyebrow shapes and file & polish so the money I lost was more than what I made from her.

If I had a big salon then rather than enforce a cancellation policy I would be tempted to just ask for a deposit on treatments over an hour.

Yes but even so.....what would you do? Go round and DEMAND the money...HELL knows where you're going or who could be there!!
Write it off and put it down to experience.:hug:
Life's way too short.

DO keep a blacklist though!!!

You could either send a bill in the post and await a reply (if any!) or as you suggested, keep a blacklist x

I never charge (I just mumble obcenities LOL).

If I was charged for a missed appointment, |I wouldn't go back and I would tell everyone what they did.

Bad business move. Cancellations are usually genuine and no shows are rare. xxx

Totally agree Kim - in our salon of 10 staff we have an average of one to two 'no shows' per week, usually new or irregular clients and not worth worrying about unless they do it more than twice, then they need a word in their ear:lol:

I would never go back to somewhere that had made a fuss of my mistake or charged me for it!!!! It would normally be a genuine mistake and if it was treated subtly, I would continue to use the salon.

You could either send a bill in the post and await a reply (if any!) or as you suggested, keep a blacklist x

Defo a blacklist.
Fred and Rose West..they looked soooo nice didn't they?:lol: Such a family life..... and couple?
I'll stick to the blacklist:)

I've had two same-day cancellations in the last 2 weeks from regular clients, both of whom apologised greatly. They emailed me their cancellations and I was devastated, but I was adamant I wasn't going to respond with "oh don't worry, no problem" yet didn't know really how to respond in suitably sympathetic yet disappointed (for them and me) tone - any suggestions for a general response?

You could always put something like this on your website/pricelists:-

Cancellations or No Shows

Here at Salon X, we understand that pipes burst and kids get sick so we don't charge for cancellations or no shows. However this is how we make our living, so please be understanding and give as much notice as possible.

Hi Andy,

May I ask why you are considering implementing a cancellation policy? what has happened to trigger this thought?

I have a 100% cancellation policy on my price list and clients are reminded at time of booking. I have never charged anyone to date. If their reason is genuine and the client reschedules then I waive the fee. Other times, after discussion with the client, somehow miraculously they can make the appointment :)

I also tell them that if I can fill their appointment slot then no fee will be charged.

I have also had NO SHOWS (new clients), however, none of them have been back. I keep records of these people.

Depending on the booking, I make courtesy calls to remind the client of their appointment and to say "look forward to seeing you". I have many clients with email on their mobile phone so I email them instead.

I think cancellation charges are best dealt with on a case by case scenario as we don't want to piss off any clients at the end of the day. When you form a good relationship with your client they will respect that you have a business to run and turn up to their appointment or reschedule with ample notice.

Andy - In my two previous employments, I worked for busy salons in central London and they both implemented cancellation polices and one even took deposits for first time clients and sometimes deposits for treatments over an hour at busy timeslots. Some clients would pay the cancellation fee over the phone, some would pay when they next had their treatment. Either way, you need to bare in mind the "stress" this puts on your reception team as there is always a client who does not want to pay and want to speak to the Manager. Then there is also the blanket rule debate. Some clients are friends, word will get out if you charge one and not the other.

Final note, and I may need to correct myself on this.... taking deposits over the phone ie, card not present transactions is not a guaranteed payment as this can be disputed by the client.

Last edited:
Well.......I have a cancellation policy but TBH I don't bother to chase no show's/cancellations as you get no where. I just make a note of how much they owe on their card along with details i.e n/s (no show) or canx (cancelled).

I have actually heard that it is illegal to charge for services not given. Anyone have any professional opinions on this?

To answer Curly Bamboo :

The reason we are considering this is that the number of no shows and same day cancellations is increasing, especially with new customers. Do they book at a number of salons and see which takes their fancy at the time ???? Last week one girl had two same day cancellations and a no show and as she is heavily commision based, this impacted her and the salon. Whether it is this economic climate and people suddenly realise they can't afford to pay for what they booked and are too embarressed to cancel i don't know but it is definetlely getting worse.

We are considering doing text reminders which may help but the staff are looking to see what else we could do.

Potsi - I have no issues with the legals (in the UK anyway) as so long as the customer is made aware of it at the time of booking, it forms pat of the sale contract and so is fine. If you don't tell them then that is a different matter. However, not sure if it has ever been tested in court.

Thanks for all the replies so far, and any other views woudl be much appreciated.

Seems I'm the odd one out here. We do have a cancellation policy in the salon and it is enforced.

Before it was introduced we would often get several no-shows within a week amounting to well over £100 of lost money :cry:

We have our cancellation policy on the notice board & in the treatment room so clients can see it. If they miss an appointment, we phone them to see if they are ok, would they like to re-book, then remind them of our policy. We let 1st timers off, but they are charged then on if they do it again.

Obviously we do use our discretion depending on the individual circumstances.

Clients are always fine about it because they have been told. It has cut right down on the persistent offenders & in some instances if 1 of our unreliable clients can't make it, she'll send her boyfriend in instead. Some clients have paid their fee on more than 1 occasion.

At the end of the day you have to remember we are running a business here, not a charity. If my money is down because clients can't be bothered to phone to change their appointment, why should I be out of pocket?

I think though that as long as the client is aware of your policies, then go for it.

New clients are almost impossible to chase up (and you really don't wan't unreliable clients).

I do explain to them on the phone "PLEASE" (and I emphasise the word please) call if you can't make it.

If they don't show I have a bitch list and a great memory for names (I also leave their phone numbers in my computer) and can search for them at will.

Current clients know my cancellation policy, it is written on a little sign on my desk lamp IN THEIR FACE, written on a sign behind me IN THEIR FACE, and it's on the back of my business cards.

I only ask for 3 hours notice, their first offense is 50% charge (this is just to let them know I am serious), their second and other offenses is 100%.

They all pay it without question (and often with a bottle of wine too).

As technicians we spend quite some time with clients, one of the things I discuss with them pretty quick smart is how cancellations make me feel.

This lets them know (as an innocent client) how much it means for me for clients to turn up. I only ask for 3 hours notice (as I think 24 hours is ridiculous) too many things can go wrong in 24 hours.

Only once have I had to do my "superbitch routine" (after a client had 3 no shows) on her 4th attempt, "when she actually arrived", I WASN'T THERE, she called the salon (which was diverted to my mobile with her number in it), I didn't answer and she got the idea not to come back.... that bitch had cost me $180 and I wasn't going to tolerate it. Sure I may have cut my nose off to spite my face, but I got a great deal of satisfaction out of my tit for tat routine.

The funny thing is, if these type of clients bitch to their friends, most of their friends would actually understand and be on MY SIDE.

I am running a business, not a charity and respect goes both ways.

The timing of this thread is very useful!

Andy - I would definitely put a policy in place or take deposits for first timers.

Yesterday I had a lady booked in for 2.5hrs on a gift voucher. I called 2 days prior to confirm. She admited she forgot and could not come immediately. I explained cancellation charges and she accepted.

Latest posts

Back