Cancelling clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkpink2008

Reaction score
Just wondered how geeks feel about having to cancel a client. I know when its the other way round there are many clients who cancel without a second thought but what if its the therapist who needs to cancel?
I ask this as i had a regular clienr booked in last sat at 9.30am. At around 8.30 i had a call from my best friends mom saying my friend had been killed in a car crash during the night, needless to say i was a mess and there was no way i was in any fit state to go into work. I rang my client and cancelled her appointment and asked her to contact my sister who i work with to rebook. She was amazing about it all and decided to keep her christmas appointment and wait until then to get them done. I do feel awful but something like that cant be helped. Her funeral is thursday at 2.50pm and i have to be in work for 4.30pm as my client simply wouldnt rearrange as she had booked it a while ago so obviously i will go into work but i cant begin to imagine how im going to feel straight after the funeral. I just hope my client understands x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi hun,

Firstly I want to say I am sorry to hear about your friend. That's really really sad especially so close to Christmas too :'(

Of course you are going to feel shocked, upset, devasted about your friend.

It was nice of the lady to be understanding (I think we all would in that position) None of us likes to cancel on a paying client.

Dont be so hard on yourself - maybe you could of gone through with the treatment but if you were really upset then it wouldn't of been very nice for the lady - but then maybe it would've helped take your mind off of the events of the morning. At the time of cancelling you thought it would be the best thing to do.

Hopefully she will re-book and have her treatment so dont worry.

xxx

Just cancel her, your friend has just died, you need to go to her funeral and you wont want to rush off just because of a 20quid set of nails, this is more important x. If your client gets the ump or if you lose her to someone else then another client will take her place at some point, would she keep her app if the boot was on the other foot just because she felt bad about letting you down ???

I know the feeling of feeling guilty when very occationally you have to cancel but One thing Ive learned after 30 years in the business is that not all, but many clients couldnt give a fig about you. Just sometimes you need to come first and this is a time that you should come first Xx

I would personally cancel her. It's one thing to cancel someone over something trivial but totally different over this. Ask yourself if it'll matter in a weeks time that you cancelled her. Offer to go out of your way to make it up to her. Hugs to you xx

Cancel her. I would be fuming she said no.
The same has happened with my cousins uncle, her work ummed ad aahd over her taking a few hours for the funeral, but it was fine for the managers daughter to take the afternoon off when her friends nan died ad all day for the funeral.

Like someone else said, if the boot was on the other foot... Would she even bother to re arrange?
Call her back and tell her not ask her that her appointment is now on x date or she can choose another but the funeral day is off the cards.

I hope your ok now, sending love to you, your family and your friends family xoxo

So sorry to hear about your friend, such terrible news, you need to grieve and be with other close friends that day so cancel, the funeral is much much more important than a set of nails!!

Does this client not realise you are not going to do a good job that day, your minds not going to be in the right place and of course it wouldn't be, anyone with any decency would understand, if she doesn't well stuff her!!

Lots of hugs xx

This is very very sad to hear, and I am very sorry for your loss.

I would most definitely cancel, take the whole day off. You need that at least to grieve.

What is the worst the client will do, bad mouth you around town because you had to cancel to go to your best friends funeral...!

Think of yourself. If it was your client, she probably wouldn't even think twice about it.

I hope the funeral goes well. :hug: Xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I had the samething early this year my great aunt died ( practically my grabdmother) and i was in bits for a few weeks!!! I was in work the next day, and her funeral was week after and cancelled all appointments and they were all understanding when i told them!!! I have only (touch wood) cancelled about a dozen this year!! Either myself taken to hospital and not driving, her funeral, or the floods (dont live near salon) and they have all been really helpful and understanding as long as its not all the time or wen u wanna nip off early!!!
Clients are usually all gems lol

Yes I am with everyone else. Cancel her. I lost my friend back in July to Leukemia and he lived up in Northumberland so I had to cancel a whole day and I wouldnt have thought twice about it. Luckily all my clients were lovely about it and I managed to squeeze them all into other slots. This client seems to be pretty heartless if you ask me.

Sorry to hear of your loss.:hug:

I would cancel her. If it was her friend I'm sure she would expect you to rearrange! So sorry for your loss. X

As all the other girls have said, i would cancel on her too hun.

If i was in your position & i was going to my best friends funeral i wouldnt be able to go to work for a week never mind a few hours after!
One of my friends died in april, & it didnt sink in until the funeral, so that might be the same for you.

I'm sure she'll understand & if she doesn't then she doesnt have a heart,

Lastly i'm so sorry for your loss, its an awful thing to go through!

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend. You need to take care of your own needs and as these situations tell us, there are much more important things in life than nails.
You need to be able to go with the flow on the day and not be worried about coping and showing a brave face at work.

Thanks everyone, will ring her tomorrow. I think it will hit me at the funeral as the further the week and a bit has gone on the less real it's seemed so I think it's going to hit me like a brick wall Thursday. I ordered her mom a beautiful crystal covered photo book with loads of pics of my friend with family and friends in for Christmas and that's come today so going to have a look through that later too x

I have cancelled clients too this year for funerals you just need to word it right to her don't ask her tell her!

So sorry to hear of your loss, my thoughts are with you x

I would cancel your client, I'm sure she would understand, I don't see why she couldn't. Also, you may not be able to give her the full attention that the treatment requires which could result in something going not quite right and I don't think you need that at the moment.

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

I am so very sorry for your loss. How awful to lose a friend.

I really do think that you should cancel the client booked in on the day of your friends funeral and you dedicate that day to your friend's memory. If she isn't understanding, then you don't need clients like that.

Clients come and go and they are just very lovely people that pass through our lives. They are not personal friends and she wouldn't think twice if she had to cancel. You'll regret not staying the whole time and the funeral far more than you will losing a client. Let her know asap and maybe find another therapist that will see her so she doesn't get in a flap.
x:hug:

Sorry to hear you lose Hun , thoughts are with you big hugs so sad at anytime of year though this close to Christmas is worse her poor family and friends. Take care. XxxX
Ps I'm with everyone else cancel client, she's an added stress that you certainly don't need right now or on day of funeral. don't suppose she'll be sympathic or grateful for you going in to to her treatment so tell her jog on xxxx

Latest posts

Back