Car problems-anyone work for trading standards/consumer??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodipodi

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im really hoping someone who works for or knows about consumer rights/trading standards can help me out as Im at the end of my tether now with a car we bought 6 month ago. Its an 04 plate ford fiesta and in the past three weeks has broken down 3 times-very dangerously with my children inside!!
It was bought on finance and the last two times its broken down its been 'fixed' by the AA and has been the same fault both times-something to do with the clutch popping out/clip/pistons and is apparantly a common thing they deal with on fiestas. I am now so frightened of the car (being fixed twice,same problem in 24 hours) I wont get in it and certainly wont put my children in it:eek:- now it is of no use to me!!!
Does anyone know if I have any rights with regards to replacement or refund??? Please help I need a car its my lifeline but I couldnt get back in this one.....hubs on his way to dealership now :cry:

Hey hun

I would suggest is to get in touch with you local trading standards asap, they will back you up all the way, the dealership must know of this fault so by law are obligated to fix it or offer you a car of the same value then contact the makers of the car and start complaints case against them.

Also check the website Vosa this has alot of helpful information on, this helped my friend who had some issues with her vehicle.

You then want to threaten the dealership with VOSA if they dont sort it out!! then see them squirm lol:)

hth
Sue

Last edited:
Thanks alot hun, Ive looked on the net etc and called consumer direct yesterday but they said because we've had it 6 months theres basically not alot we can do but depends on what finance we have...what a time to LOSE my documents ARRRGGGHH!!!!! the kitchen drawer has eaten them I think lol, hopefully theyll turn up. Ive read something about a rule on 'recurring faults' but not sure what the requirements are. XX

Then the next step is Vosa, they will carry out their own inspection of the car and if it turns out that its a fault they will sort it and the dealership could be fined or prosecuted, no dealership would want to be investigated especially not with the curernt economic crisis.

dont back down always remember the cusatomer is always right!!

My friend had problems with her vw beatle and the dealers were being obstructive and arrogant and treated her like she was a dumb blonde, please no offence to any blondes on here lol, but they soon backed down.

Contact your finance company and they should send you a copy of the agreement.

Have you a ford garage near you to check over your fiesta as there could be more faults than what you are aware of, im not trying to scare you but its something to think about.

Dont give in yet hun.

Sue xx

Wont it cost me to get the car looked at by VOSA or ford?? Hubs just got back from dealership and theyve told him.....''you cant reject the car, you have two options either put it in part ex and get half what you paid for it'' - yeah right oh....-'' or let us have a look(no courtesy cars sorry) and see what we can do to fix'' bearing in mind its been 'fixed' twice now lol. He also told us its not classed as a recurring problem unless its been over a period of a few months-WHAT!!??? How the blinkin heck does that make a difference? I have a sneaky feeling theyll 'fix' it and we'll be back in a few weeks with it only this time we might not be so fortunate to be unhurt.

the problem you have is trying to show that the car had this fault when you first purchased it, and as it's 6 months down the line and it has only just started to happen, then it's going to be pretty difficult to do.

this IS a problem with fiestas - most fords aren't built to last at the best of times...me and my ex partner were in the motor trade and called them "festers" cos they rot. :rolleyes:

if it was a brand new car on a 08 or 09 reg, then you would have more security in getting it sorted...unless of course the car came with a guarantee from the dealership?

hope they are sympathetic and sort it for you..hugs.

jue xx

Thanks Jue, we got 3 month warranty with evans halshaw and bought and extra 24 month warranty to cover incase anything went wrong but surely we cant be expected to pay 5k and keep a car that keeps breaking down? xx

Take the car back and make a lot of noise especially if there are peope in. There is a law that states you can take something back upto six months after whether they tell you it had a month or a day in warranty. I've had problems a couple of times (not with cars) and I phoned trading standards and they told me this. I never used to say anything but now I just go in and make sure I'm heard in front of everyone. Stick to your guns and take it back and don't take no for an answer. It is dangerous

have a read through your warranty and see what is covered, as some of them will only cover basics such as radiators and windscreen washers etc.

if you can't find it then give the company a call that you took the warranty out with, and ask them directly if you are covered and to send you a replacement copy of it.

as others have said, go in the showroom when it's a busy period - sundays are good - and ask to speak with the person in charge...and do it in a rather loud voice with a stern look on your face. :lol:

jue x

Hi guys, thanks so much for all the advice and back-up from you. The dealership got ford to come and sort it and has been fine since so fingers crossed. If anymore probs Ill be straight round defo xxx

WINNER!

so glad it is sorted now, bet it feels great to be mobile again huh? :lol:

jue x

Sure does!! Still really nervous though when Im in it! x

Latest posts

Back