Card Machine...Yes or No ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a credit card machine ?

• Total voters
Ann, you can get wireless terminals from 123Send, also via the FSB. You can eithr buy or lease them depending on whether you want a long contract with them. V useful for mobile/multi-location therapists!

Ann, you can get wireless terminals from 123Send, also via the FSB. You can eithr buy or lease them depending on whether you want a long contract with them. V useful for mobile/multi-location therapists!
thanks Calla,
would I be able to take details from people over the phone who wish to pay for courses, or a deposit on a treatment?

Yep, you can have a "cardholder not present" function added to your terminal.

I bank with the Abbey and I got a credit card terminal through Streamline. The were no set up fees and I pay £15 per month plus Vat. At first my transaction fees were 30p for each debit card transaction and 2.5%for every credit card put through the terminal. After a year I called them to ask if they were prepared to reduce my fees and I now pay 22p and 1.9%.

I have voted no, but think it is a great idea, but for people just starting would probably work out costly, but overall great idea:)

Jenny I agree that if you are just starting out it can be costly but I suppose it depends on the situation.

For mobile therapists I guess clients would not expect the therapist to have a card machine but I think salons definetely should have them (maybe not so necessary if just renting a room) I never carry cash and always get frustrated if I go somewhere that doesn't accept cards.

I am opening a salon on the 2nd ept, and thought about having a card payment machine. I have been working from home from 4 years and always been paid with cash/cheques from clients, as I had no other method. The shop I am renting does not have a landline phone and neither does the hairdresser next door whom I am renting from. I shall be using my mobile phone at work and home tel.no. on an evening when closed. Do I need a landline phone for a card terminal. The hairdresser does not want a card machine in her salon but I wouldnt mind especially if it boost takings. :confused:

regards
Carol
Cottage Nails/Beauty

You'll need a landline for a card machine; I don't know any that work without them.

What about the wifi ones, Martin? Do they need a landline too?

Hi.

Do you need a landline phone for a card payment machine as I am using my mobile phone at work Cheers

Carol
Cottage Nails

When I was looking for a suitable PDQ machine I didn't come across any that didn't need a landline. I don't know about Wi-fi though; might be worth looking into?

You'll need a landline for a card machine; I don't know any that work without them.

You do not need a landline.

Mine is a mobile terminal which I think runs off a sim card which is included in the set up fee. So I could take a card payment in the middle of a field if I wanted.

That is why my rental is quite high as I don't have a static terminal.

You do not need a landline.

Mine is a mobile terminal which I think runs off a sim card which is included in the set up fee. So I could take a card payment in the middle of a field if I wanted.

That is why my rental is quite high as I don't have a static terminal.

Beauty treatments al fresco? lol.

The mobile terminal is slightly more expensive because as you said it works over the mobile network and is GSM. It dials everytime it is used and all the calls are included in the rental no matter how many times it dials. The one that needs a land line does not have any calls included in the price, they are paid for by the user.
Silverpay now have a banner ad so if interested just click on it.
Thanks
Helen x

I've been looking at the boyal bank of scotland deal via BABTAC and the silverlink but have found a deal if you are a member of the Federation of Small Businesses.
Its with streamline. No st up fee, £15 plus vat for terminal, up to 1.95% for credit cards and up to 30p for debit but no minimum and these drop down (after 3 or 6 months cant remember now) to 1.65% and 23p.
I can have cardholder not present.
But cant remember days into account or time taken to set up.
Do the phone calls work out expensive?

Louise

Wouldnt leave home without mine! lol!!

I'm with Silverpay and have found it really beneficial. I don't have a landline either so this mobile system works great. After my 3 month trial period, I was allowed to continue on a month-by-month basis with no tie-in. Great customer service too!

I cannot beleive I missed this thread....

Does anyone know how much it is to join FSB? I have just had a root about on thier website, but can't find the info?

I bank with Nationwide, as it's a building society I'm not sure if they offer a card machine. Will have to check.

You have a PM!

I just got one from Barclays...

It works out at £30.00 PM for the rental and transaction charge is 2%

One thing I would recomend is a minimum charge of £10.00 cause it ends up costing you...

Also takes 5 days for the funds to hit your account

HTH

The min spend on the card machine at the salon where i work is £20.

Latest posts

Back