Catalogue of disasters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we always have clients coming in from that salon, like you say the extentions look good some times but the clients natural nails are always left in a state.

these salons are out of order

i mean hurting people and charging them for the privilege

report them and fast

We have quite a few of those chop shops here in Vancouver. I try to refer to them as Non-standard Salons, and not a specific ethnicity because I find that there ARE competent and qualified Asian nail techs out there, myself being one of them and I don't like to be stereotyped.

I had some enhancements removed at this type of establishment once, when I didn't know any better. A short sharp combination of acetone and shed loads of drilling left me with grooves and rings of fire which took 6 months to grow out. My nails looked appalling when they'd finished, which was in less than 25 minutes. The woman removing them could only ascertain what I wanted through the one staff member in the salon who could vaguely converse in English and I didn't get so much as a drop of oil on my natural nails as an afterthought when she'd finished with them. :irked:

We have quite a few of those chop shops here in Vancouver. I try to refer to them as Non-standard Salons, and not a specific ethnicity because I find that there ARE competent and qualified Asian nail techs out there, myself being one of them and I don't like to be stereotyped.
I agree, I had a client come to me from a UK "tech" and their natural nail had a hole where they used a drill!! Poor woman, but now she is a regular. I dont use Efile but I told her they are safe in the right hands
Stevie

OMG, I wonder how these 'techs' are trained.
I rang one of those Asian nail bars a few years ago (before I knew better) to ask what brand product they use. The response "I don't know and I don't have time to go out the back and look.' I'm the kind of person if you're not nice to me on the phone, you won't get me through the door. Lucky for me, I probably saved myself from a potential butchering.

I don't know why this thread from September 2006!!has been bumped up....but please make sure you read all the posts this one by MOI seems to be getting overlooked.....and she makes a most valid point!!!!

There are plenty threads on here about NSS (non standard salons) as this has been debated many times.

I know this is an old thread, but will add my thoughts for what it's worth.

A pass quite a few NS salons in my daily routine, both in the location where I work and where I live.

They always used to be jam packed. However, I have noticed over the last couple of months, that they are not that busy anymore.

Sure, I see the odd client in there, but by no means are they packed the way they used to be.

I am really hoping that's because people are finally catching on that what these places do isn't right !

Perhaps that MP that is trying to get MMA banned will be successful and then hopefully a lot of these places will be closed down.

Having said that, 99.9% of them don't conform to any of the H&S laws that we, the decent techs need to conform to and they are not being closed down or fined or anything. :irked: :irked:

So here's hoping that the general public have finally caught on and that something will be done about these places in the future.

Marlise

sorry i know its an old thread, but i'm fairly new to nails and thought i'd add a recent experience of mine, a client i have for waxing and a couple of other thing came in, she had enhancements on, now i don't have years of experience under my belt but these were really poor, she was pleased with them though and i wouldn't slate another techs work thats not professional. i did however mention that io now offer this service, client asked price and then said this place was £5-10 cheaper, fair enough

next time i see client she has had them soaked off, which this place does everytime rather than rebaalncing of backfills. Her hands were peeling from the tops of her finger to her wrist, quite badly on one side. (she'd been sat with her whole hand submerged)
i asked what had happened apparently she had gone in been given a huge bowl of acetone told to sit for half an hour and she was given a cuticle knife to help, 'pick' them off!!! i was shocked and told her what i would do for a soak off and also that this shouldn't be necessary.

this client still went back there and had another set then came to me weeks later to have a soak off, i asked if she'd decided to stop having enhancements but she said no she just prefered the way i removed them, we talked about it during this treatment and then she decided she would have her next set with me the following week, no show appt cancelled save £5-10 and went back to the same place, will some people never learn!!!
one thing i did say was did she really think that they would use that much acetone for each client, i explained its not that cheap so they were probably re-using it, yuk!

there are no nns bars around where i live...what i cant understand is...why do people go to them in the first place...cheap???....i hope i never come across anyone who has been to these places...if it was not for this site...i would not even know what they were xx

do you think that they are qualified in any shape or form?

theres one juts opened in Durham. One of the hairdresser's that I work with had some done, she said that they had burnt and hurt her, but shrugged it off. when I looked at them I asked if she had done them herself as their had been no cuticle work done and you could see the sides on some of them.

sorry not technical, not a nail tech but just giving my tuppence worth.

Latest posts

Back