Checking out the competition in Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmae0906

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I've been doing some competitive research in my area and it seems a number of people are soaking off the Shellac with acetone rather than using the wraps - can you/would you recommend doing this? Also, what's the best CND product for this?
x

When you say soaking off with acetone, do you mean placing hands in bowl and soaking off?

If so, no CND don't recommend immersing hands fully in acetone to soak off.

You can either use Shellac Wraps, Magis foils or lint pad with pad soaked in either D-Solve or Acetone.

HTH. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the great things about shellac is that you don't have to soak it off - the wraps work perfectly well and is what is recommended by CND - soaking nails in acetone every 2 weeks is excessive and unnecessary xx

D-Solve is the product recommended by S2 and is the quickest product for doing the removal of Shellac which of course should be wrapped off and definitely not soaked off.

Too bad silly people do not follow instructions given isn't it? Why do they think they know better?? Especially when they obviously do not.

If so, no CND don't recommend immersing hands fully in acetone to soak off.

You can either use Shellac Wraps, Magis foils or lint pad with pad soaked in either D Solv or Acetone.

HTH. :)

Im sorry this is probably controversial but I don't really understand the difference... what is a soak exactly?
The (soaked) cotton pad on the wrap is larger than any human nail and therefore by nature of its design it makes contact with your skin.
With wraps I need 10 mins to soak off as opposed to dunking.... for 3

With a 'double dipper' or 2 x 5 fingered bowls I need only 3-4 mins. I save time and money as I can use a pipette to reuse any Acetone as the Shellac falls and settles on the bottom, so I can suction the liquid without sucking up the Shellac) I also believe (but could be totally wrong here) that Acetone kills all germs/bacteria therefore the Acetone on reuse is not contaminated...again I could stand corrected here...
and I know I am not the only person doing this.
I use the wraps when I want to take my time (no next appointment..indulge current customer & look busy) or I am trying to buy time (customer waiting) otherwise I double dip.

Cait

I'm quite shocked never heard of re using acetone. It's not that expensive.
And u use less with wraps I confess tho that I use cotton wool and tinfoil as I don't charge extra for removal.

Im sorry this is probably controversial but I don't really understand the difference... what is a soak exactly?
The (soaked) cotton pad on the wrap is larger than any human nail and therefore by nature of its design it makes contact with your skin.

With a 'double dipper' or 2 x 5 fingered bowls I need only 3-4 mins. I save time and money as I can use a pipette to reuse any Acetone as the Shellac falls and settles on the bottom, so I can suction the liquid without sucking up the Shellac) I also believe (but could be totally wrong here) that Acetone kills all germs/bacteria therefore the Acetone on reuse is not contaminated...again I could stand corrected here...
I use the wraps when I want to take my time (no next appointment..indulge current customer & look busy) or I am trying to buy time (customer waiting) otherwise I double dip.

Cait

It has been determined by the experts that it is a healthier option for the skin and nails to limit the exposure of Acetone to the nail plate for 10 minutes every 2-3 weeks, than to immerse and soak the nails and finger tips every 2-3 weeks. Now you may know better, Cait, but I think not.

As for using contaminated Acetone on more than one client it is outrageous! and does not make it right to do it because others do (that is a childish excuse) "Well, mum, all the other kids were throwing rocks at the cars so I thought it was OK to do so."

I would get up and walk out if some non-professional was re-cycling contaminated acetone on me and I wonder how you even dare to expose yourself to the embarassment of mentioning that you do this.

Just because bacteria may not grow in acetone does not mean that it is not contaminated with debris and skin cells and oil from the skin etc. Of course it is. How would you feel if a Doctor re-used an alcohol wipe on you that he had used on someone else - because you say bacteria don't grow in alcohol!! Absolutely outragious behaviour.

Ten minutes is a perfectly acceptable time to allow for soak off and the whole appointment can still take only 40-45 minutes. If you value the health of your clients and want to do the best for them instead of yourself then do things as the manufacturer advises and be professional.

Last edited:
When i did my shellac training in dublin they advised us to either use wraps or double dippers, they also included double dippers in the opening order.

When i did my shellac training in dublin they advised us to either use wraps or double dippers, they also included double dippers in the opening order.

In that case, they gave you advice that was completely contrary to CND advice which specifically states NOT to soak off Shellac. Must say I am surprised and will forward this thread on to Karen O'Neil so that she is aware of it.

It has been determined by the experts that it is a healthier option for the skin and nails to limit the exposure of Acetone to the nail plate for 10 minutes every 2-3 weeks, than to immerse and soak the nails and finger tips every 2-3 weeks. Now you may know better, Cait, but I think not.

As for using contaminated Acetone on more than one client it is outrageous! and does not make it right to do it because others do (that is a childish excuse) "Well, mum, all the other kids were throwing rocks at the cars so I thought it was OK to do so."

I would get up and walk out if some non-professional was re-cycling contaminated acetone on me and I wonder how you even dare to expose yourself to the embarassment of mentioning that you do this.

Just because bacteria may not grow in acetone does not mean that it is not contaminated with debris and skin cells and oil from the skin etc. Of course it is. How would you feel if a Doctor re-used an alcohol wipe on you that he had used on someone else - because you say bacteria don't grow in alcohol!! Absolutely outragious behaviour.

Ten minutes is a perfectly acceptable time to allow for soak off and the whole appointment can still take only 40-45 minutes. If you value the health of your clients and want to do the best for them instead of yourself then do things as the manufacturer advises and be professional.

Couldnt agree more with what has been said. Cant imagine my clients wanting to be dunk instead of wrapped.

Double use of anything is not only outrageous but extremely unprofessional!

I agree that it's better to wrap because it's a safer, and more economical use of the acetone. But is there really a difference between a 10 min soak in a bowl vs. 10 min wrapped? Acetone is still on the skin around the nail when it's wrapped.

Edited to add: Reading the thread more, I don't want you to think that I'm arguing to not follow manufacturers advice about a system. I'm just curious if soaking in acetone has any place anymore in the salon? And if it is more harmful than wrapping for enhancements too? I can't remember the last time I've done it.

Last edited:

Cait

At the risk of sounding completely dim here do you mean you soak shellac off in acetone.......suck out what is left without shellac bits in it and then use it for someone else?? Am thinking I must have got it wrong......is that not a bit (well more than a bit!) un-hygienic??

I agree that it's better to wrap because it's a safer, and more economical use of the acetone. But is there really a difference between a 10 min soak in a bowl vs. 10 min wrapped? Acetone is still on the skin around the nail when it's wrapped

As Geeg already stated the experts have discovered that it is healthier to wrap rather than soak for 10 mins:green:

At the risk of sounding completely dim here do you mean you soak shellac off in acetone.......suck out what is left without shellac bits in it and then use it for someone else?? Am thinking I must have got it wrong......is that not a bit (well more than a bit!) un-hygienic??

Even if it is hygienic surely you would see debris from other clients which would be absolutely disgusting and unpleasant for anyone getting a treatment:eek:

Using the foil or CND wrap method is less messy. The Shellac comes of in the wrap and stays in the wrap. It's neat and tidy. Re-using the Acetone, its full of ingredients that have been dissolved by the acetone, so the acetone second or third time round will be saturated with old product and will take longer to work. This makes no sense to me at all xxx Fresh wraps and fresh products for each client, they deserve it xxx

I agree that it's better to wrap because it's a safer, and more economical use of the acetone. But is there really a difference between a 10 min soak in a bowl vs. 10 min wrapped? Acetone is still on the skin around the nail when it's wrapped.

Hi Jessie ! :hug:

Yes, I do think there is a difference in the exposure level in more ways than one. There is substantially less acetone in a wrap and therefore swirling round the finger. I always apply Solar Oil before I wrap, to the skin around the finger which is not rinsed off in the wrap the way it is when soaking and the concentration of vapour is substantially reduced ... Less chemicals to dispose of, less chance of spillage, less faffing about going to and fro with hot water and bowls of acetone and better all the way around for everyone.

Hi Jessie ! :hug:

Yes, I do think there is a difference in the exposure level in more ways than one. There is substantially less acetone in a wrap and therefore swirling round the finger. I always apply Solar Oil before I wrap, to the skin around the finger which is not rinsed off in the wrap the way it is when soaking and the concentration of vapour is substantially reduced ... Less chemicals to dispose of, less chance of spillage, less faffing about going to and fro with hot water and bowls of acetone and better all the way around for everyone.

I definitely second that! Always use Solar oil before wrapping up. Not only it protects surrounding skin from overexposure it also conditions and moisturises skin around the nail, avoiding extra dehydration on the skin. The heat retained within the wrap works like paraffin wax treatment, heat forces the molecules of oil into the skin.

Clients love it;)

Nail designer with a twist;)

If you can blatantly tell us you reuse acetone and not think it's wrong in anyway then I dread to think what else you do!?

i can not believe that reusing acetone is being done.... that is disgusting....
unhygenic, unprofessional and just not right

The reuse of acetone thing just grossed me out. eeeuuuuuw!

I have to say, I received good hygiene training in most of the establishments where I have done courses. I did wonder about one though, that shall remain nameless that sanitised )by boiling) orangewood sticks. They looked stained and nasty even if they were superficially clean. Ugh!

Latest posts

Back