cheeky moo!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynda green

Reaction score
i had my Friend over to day for lunch all was going well until i mentioned i was off on a nail course and how exited i was about it ! ho she said i don't know wot all the fuss is about all these people having there nails done !!!! (wot ever i thought we all have our one thoughts !)
as she was a Mobile hair dresser i was asking her advise on how she started up her business ! well wish i never she didn't stop she was saying things like i am too week, its too hard and i couldn't cope with the clients always needing repairs she thought i would let people walk all over and it went on .... well after she left i could have cried !!!
is it me or was that a bit harsh ???
i have been Friends with her for years and a good one at that so i was so shocked when she said it !
i know i asked her advice but was there any need to down me like that ?
i just cant get it out of my head so i thought i would share ! xxx

Poor you! :hug: Don't let this 'friend' make you feel bad or put you off. If it's what you want to do that's all that matters. She's probably just jealous anyway. Good luck.

hmm not very supportive for a friend, maybe she is jealous of your enthusiasm!don't let it get you down go for what you want you know yourself best!!
lynda green said:
i had my Friend over to day for lunch all was going well until i mentioned i was off on a nail course and how exited i was about it ! ho she said i don't know wot all the fuss is about all these people having there nails done !!!! (wot ever i thought we all have our one thoughts !)
as she was a Mobile hair dresser i was asking her advise on how she started up her business ! well wish i never she didn't stop she was saying things like i am too week, its too hard and i couldn't cope with the clients always needing repairs she thought i would let people walk all over and it went on .... well after she left i could have cried !!!
is it me or was that a bit harsh ???
i have been Friends with her for years and a good one at that so i was so shocked when she said it !
i know i asked her advice but was there any need to down me like that ?
i just cant get it out of my head so i thought i would share ! xxx

She's definitely jealous....wouldn't even let it bother you.

When starting up your own business don't be surprised if you come across people who want you to fail. Concentrate on doing your own thing and you'll learn from your own experiences.

Yes, it is hard at times and you will come across clients who try to get free repairs and the like but we've all been there.....you learn from it and move on. It takes time to build confidence in any job but you'll get there! Once you are totally confident in what you are doing it's amazing how the clients don't seem to take the mick quite so often!!!

Lynn x

Your 'friend' is definately more than just a little jealous!!!
People often do react strangely when they are jealous, ...perhaps she hasnt been that successful at her own mobile business, or wished she'd done something else...or maybe she just thinks you wont be available for her anymore when you start to get busy!!!!! Whatever the reason, dont allow yourself to be put down, you can achieve anything you want, YOU just have to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!

Welsh Geek said:
YOU just have to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!

well said!

hi

i have had a couple of people trying to tell me being a nail technician is a dying trade bla bla bla the worst is my mother in law " why dont you spend your money on something worth doing moan moan moan" :mad: but i find it has just made me more determined to make my business work. :biggrin: my hubby is my best support, (even lending me his hands to practise on bless him.
you are doing it for you and you will make your business work

kalchis said:
my hubby is my best support, (even lending me his hands to practise on bless him.

You have him well trained!

My friends were the same at first, telling me what a waste of time it was. In particular, one of my 'best' friends (at the time, not any more) started saying how easy it was & basically implying that I wasn't clever enough to do anything else. Since I have A levels & a degree, while she only has a college course & poorly-paid job that she hates, I wasn't too upset by this! I realise that she was only jealous that I was making money doing a job I love. I later found out that she was considering doing a nail course herself after her boyfriend (horrid slimey creature, possibly from another planet) 'suggested' that she found a way to make extra money on the side. She never did it when she found out how much time & money she would have to invest. It only takes a bit of success to find out who your true friends are.

I think its a crying shame people are like that. I have a sister who tells me the market for nails is saturated and that I should go and work in Tesco`s.
At the end of the day, you need to do what you want to do and lets face it, nails gets in your blood and takes over.
If you enjoy doing it then go for it, we`re all here for support and we`ll pick you up when some horrid sod knocks you down.

The market for nails is hardly saturated or a dying industry ... never heard such twaddle.

I KNOW what the figures are for people entering the nail business and they are huge But remember this ... for every10 that try to start a business in nails, probably only 3-4 ever really do anything with it that amounts to what could be called a business, and the drop out rate after 5 years is also very large for various reasons from the amount of commitment it takes, to just being 'burnt out'.

People find out that it just is not as easy as many seem to think. Doing nails is a very skilled job. Anyone can put on a set of 'not too bad' or OK nails, but that is not what the majority of women want from their nail technician. They want much better than OK or 'not too bad'.

There is always a trun around of new technicians coming along and there is room for many more in this rapidly growing 'personal services' sector of the market.

Hi Lynda,

As for your friend - just read the bottom of Geegs signature

Friends are like angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

I'm afraid your friend is not helping you to fly :Love:

Just ignore her and go for it! Any new business venture is very scary and, not to mention, very hard graft. But whatever market you enter - if you're good enough, determined enough and work hard enough you will make a go of it.

Don't be put off!!!!!!!!!!!

No definately dont be put off - I started doing nails just over a year ago and do it from home. After 13 years working for an insurance company I always wanted to do nails. Im now working every night of the week, a couple of mornings and most of Sat and loving it! It was quite hard to have the courage to go for it in the beginning, but word of mouth is the best ad ever and Im so pleased with myself and how its all worked out.

Im also v lucky to have supportive friends and family. xxx to them.

redchris001 said:
Hi Lynda,

As for your friend - just read the bottom of Geegs signature

Friends are like angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

I'm afraid your friend is not helping you to fly :Love:

Well said Chris - much more tactful way of putting it than what I was thinking of saying about this so-called friend!!!

so instead of giving you a good old pat on the back for your initiative and supporting and encouraging you she did that?????

Hairdressers and Nail teks can sometimes go 'hand in glove' if she had an ounce of business sense she sould have said - let me know when your fully qualified and there's a desk in my salon for you - she gains you gain and what could be nicer that working with your bezzy mate???

FRIEND?????? not a very good advert for one!!

Chin up + go for it!

Amb x

:Love: it has really helped reading all your posts a big thanks to you all !
isn't jealousy a horrible thing i really don't see the point ! life is too shore and preshos i think ! and i am so happy that i have finally got some money and the chance to do it after so long that i thought every one that was close to me would be happy to !
i have helped her so much over the last few years with her problams (i wont go in to !) it just shocked the hell out of me !
thanks again you ae lovely people :hug:

Hi Lynda,

I couldn't agree more with the above comments. I too had alot of people put me down even my own family. I showed them!! I am not even the "I will show you" type either. Just know this ... to truly believe in yourself means you have succeeded already. Not many people belive in themselves and this is why so many people fail. Belief in yourself is where your motivation and enthusiasm stems from, look at it as the root to making your dream com true.

Don't let it get you down sweetheart, if that's a friend, don't tell your "friend" anymore. Tell us we will share your joy and excitement okay??? We are your true friends!!! :) :hug:

xxxxxxxx

MINKUS said:
so instead of giving you a good old pat on the back for your initiative and supporting and encouraging you she did that?????

Hairdressers and Nail teks can sometimes go 'hand in glove' if she had an ounce of business sense she sould have said - let me know when your fully qualified and there's a desk in my salon for you - she gains you gain and what could be nicer that working with your bezzy mate???

FRIEND?????? not a very good advert for one!!

Chin up + go for it!

Amb x
the funny thing is that she is mobile her self thats why i ask for her advise ! and thats wot i wont to do to fit in with the kids! but i wont be putting any bizznes her way !!!!

Rose143 said:
Hi Lynda,

I couldn't agree more with the above comments. I too had alot of people put me down even my own family. I showed them!! I am not even the "I will show you" type either. Just know this ... to truly believe in yourself means you have succeeded already. Not many people belive in themselves and this is why so many people fail. Belief in yourself is where your motivation and enthusiasm stems from, look at it as the root to making your dream com true.

Don't let it get you down sweetheart, if that's a friend, don't tell your "friend" anymore. Tell us we will share your joy and excitement okay??? We are your true friends!!! :) :hug:

xxxxxxxx
bless you :hug: thank fully i have my hubby's full support !

I roll my eyes at people like that!

Yes it will be hard and you are probably fully aware of all the pitfalls so just rise above it. Unfortunetly you will prob meet a few more people like her along the way, even those who supported you at the begining. It will take time, patience and practice to get to feel totally confident so start with PMA positive mental attitude and dont let them get you down!

My business and my family are two seperate things (unfortunetly mother-in-law thinks 'nails' is not a good business to be in) Keep it that way and I'm glad to hear your excited about your new venture

My first reaction was that the old green eyed monster had reared its ugly head and I think it was a case of this to a degree. But let's just play devils advocate for a minute. Maybe as a friend she was trying to warn you that it's not that easy, it takes times to build a client base, that people muck you about something chronic and perhaps she was just trying to warn you that you may get a lot of knock backs along the way, and saying that you are in fact too nice to cope with this. Grant you she may not have done it in the most tactful way but a true friend will tell you things straight.

However the nail industry is not a dying profession. I've only been in it for just over 4 years and in that time have watched it grow and grow. However what I have found is the rise of the Cowboys and Unprofessionals with their thick and ugly extensions. I did a few sets of prom nails yesterday and was dismayed when they said that some of the girls nails that were done elsewhere looked terrible, but delighted that already people are beginning to be able to tell what makes the difference between an extension and an enhancement.

It would only be a saturated market if every single person in this country was wearing enhancements which of course they aren't. So follow your dream hun and we'll support you all the way. GO FOR IT!

Latest posts

Back