Chemicals that melt top coats?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
I have a client who has a problem with the clear top coat, (all top coats), on her acrylic nails becoming sticky and discoloured. I have just sent her off with a gel top coat as I am sure that will do the trick.

Question is, apart from the "deet" in some suncreams etc, do we know of any other chemicals that will cause this "melting" effect. We have been trying all morning to come up with the cause as she is not using any suncreams at the moment. I don't have this problem and use the same top coat. Could it be as simple as her drying her hair every morning and the heat melting the top coat and making it sticky? She doesn't use any products in her hair.

I am confident the gel top coat will work but am curious as to why this happens! I would like to be able in inform clients of which "substances" to avoid to help maintain their acrylic nails.

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

p.s. she sometimes cleans with a bleach spray without gloves, not for long as she has a cleaner. I know we should always wear gloves when cleaning but even I am guilty of not wearing them and my nails have been fine.

I have a client who has a problem with the clear top coat, (all top coats), on her acrylic nails becoming sticky and discoloured. I have just sent her off with a gel top coat as I am sure that will do the trick.

Question is, apart from the "deet" in some suncreams etc, do we know of any other chemicals that will cause this "melting" effect. We have been trying all morning to come up with the cause as she is not using any suncreams at the moment. I don't have this problem and use the same top coat. Could it be as simple as her drying her hair every morning and the heat melting the top coat and making it sticky? She doesn't use any products in her hair.

I am confident the gel top coat will work but am curious as to why this happens! I would like to be able in inform clients of which "substances" to avoid to help maintain their acrylic nails.

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

p.s. she sometimes cleans with a bleach spray without gloves, not for long as she has a cleaner. I know we should always wear gloves when cleaning but even I am guilty of not wearing them and my nails have been fine.

Hi Sharon,

Sorry I can't help with what the problem could be, but I do wonder why you don't just buff them to a high shine? I never use a top coat on clients and they still look great when they come back for rebalances.

Some nit repellant spray I used on my children took my top coat straight off (I was horrified and threw it straight out, feeling terrible that I'd put such harsh stuff on my daughters' heads!) x

Thanks for your replies, yes I may well buff them to a shine next time. She did however really like the shine from the gel so she may be hooked on this particular finish now! We shall see how she gets on. x

Mosquito repellent also takes off top coat, so if your client has been applying that it could be the cause. I guess we are on a theme here, nits, mosqitos...bugs...annoying in more ways than one!! LOL!!

Hi,
I found Avon's cellulite cream for legs took topcoat off my nails, made them so sticky.........threw it away, if it can do that to topcoat don't want it on my skin.........Back to the gym.......no easy way.
Best wishes
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

Latest posts

Back