Clean your make-up brushes??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brown_eyes

Reaction score
Hiya, I've moved from wearing bronzer to blusher - so all my brushes have got brown embedded in them. Do you clean your make-up brushes, and what do you use to clean them? Just water?? I'm sorry if this is a thick question, but fi in doubt - ask ;)

Thank u xx

Do you use Ellison's the wholesalers???? cause they do a makeup brush cleaner or I was told at colledge to use conditioner as it cleans and also leaves it soft .

Kerry

sorry to be rude but um yuk surely you've cleaned your brushes before. I just use shampoo as it seems to get rid of all the make up and does the job and doesn't cost any extra money either. In a salon though I would use a profesional cleaner... Sorry if you think i am being rude but I just thought it was a normal thing to do as I have always been taught to clean my brushes once a week by my mother since I have worn make up. xx

I use baby shampoo and i wash my brushes after ever client. With my own personal brushes i was them weekly. If you soak in warm water, rub in a little baby shampoo and rinse really well, squeeze as much water as you can out and then hang over the edge of a shelf to air dry. My tutor taught me the baby shampoo trick. Much cheaper than brush cleaner! HTH:D

I use bare minerals brush cleaner, its really good. They also do a product I think its called Quick Change, its a spray for your brushes which dries in seconds and means you can use the same brush for other products without the colours mixing (if that makes sense lol!) so say you just used your eyeshadow brush with a blue shadow, then sprayed it and used it again with a pink shadow, it wouldn't have any traces of blue in it. It works really well :)

Both at college, in salon & when I worked in The Body Shop we've always used a Tea Tree Shampoo (Australian BodyCare does a reasonably priced one) as the Tea Tree is anti-septic so will leave them nice and clean. Allow them to air-dry FLAT...NOT standing up in you're make-up holder or whatever & they'll be lovely & fresh for your new blusher. Quick Change from Bare Escentuals is great for inbetween proper washes & if you wanna dramatically change colours but don't have many brushes...but dry with tissue before re-dipping into eyeshadow unless it can be used with a damp brush x

For personal use, which is what I assume this query is about, clean your brushes at least once a week with warm water and a little Fairy liquid or mild baby shampoo.

Do not leave to soak. Rinse through well. Gently squeeze out excess water between fingers and lay flat to dry on clean towek or absorbent paper towel... over a warm radiator helps for about 24 hours.

Brusges may look distorted or moulded at first, but this should result in soft, free and clean bristles.

NB: Do not place brush up sidedown (bristles up) to dry as moisture seeps into the ferule, resulting in rot and loss of bristles... destruction of a good brush.

yes sorry was meant to state this is a general question for personal use.

I only really wear make up at the weekends, and i always seem to be acquiring new brushes, so the blusher brush in question isn't THAT clogged up :p But it's just something i've never thought of to do.... my friends have never mentioned doing it, & my mum applies foundation with her fingers & blusher with the brush the compact provides.... so no one around me has ever done it :lick:

But thank you for the advice on using shampoo/conditioner :) i'm washing my hair tonight so i'll give my brushes a dip too :) xxx

Last edited:
mac do a brush cleaner if that helps?

Hiya, I've moved from wearing bronzer to blusher - so all my brushes have got brown embedded in them. Do you clean your make-up brushes, and what do you use to clean them? Just water?? I'm sorry if this is a thick question, but fi in doubt - ask ;)

Thank u xx

I spot clean with the MAC brush cleaner and then every month I use Velvet Soap. It is normally used to wash clothing, very gentle. It is the most amazing brush cleaner! Better than baby shampoo, one of the main reasons for this is that you won't have to squeeze out the bristles as much (baby shampoo I find it's a lot harder to get those suds out).

Hope this helps!

You don't need to buy a fancy branded brush cleaner - any liquid soap/shampoo with warm water will do the job perfectly well :)

Just make sure you do them once a week, and if using professionally, after every client.

Baby shampoo is really good for cleaning make up brushes and a cheaper option

.. over a warm radiator helps for about...
The heat can ruin the brushes. Dont put them on a radiator.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Actually it does matter what cleanser you use! Why spend hundreds of pounds on brushes and then compromise the quality by using things like baby shampoo? The professional brush cleansers like MAC and bobbi brown are made for this purpose. They help to really get rid of that "brown" build up you're talking about and should be done daily if you're a make up artist and weekly at home at least. For dry brushes like powder and blush I love the Bobbi brown brush spray as you an just spray it and swirl on a tissue. It's easy for those "lazy" people who rarely wash their brushes and it is also a antibacterial agent. And don't leave them on a radiator, they will lose their shape.

Actually it does matter what cleanser you use! Why spend hundreds of pounds on brushes and then compromise the quality by using things like baby shampoo? The professional brush cleansers like MAC and bobbi brown are made for this purpose. They help to really get rid of that "brown" build up you're talking about and should be done daily if you're a make up artist and weekly at home at least. For dry brushes like powder and blush I love the Bobbi brown brush spray as you an just spray it and swirl on a tissue. It's easy for those "lazy" people who rarely wash their brushes and it is also a antibacterial agent. And don't leave them on a radiator, they will lose their shape.

Baby Shampoo is actually very good for your brushes and makes them nice and soft. The 'professional' makeup cleansers are great for spot cleaning but to properly cleanse the brush you definitely need something like baby shampoo (or velvet soap as I recommended) to mix with water and completely cleanse the brush of any remaining makeup (whether it has bacteria or not excess buildup will effect the performance of the brush).
Also I may be wrong but I believe MAC's brush cleanser has no antibacterial properties in it. Either way I just spray them with alcohol afterwards.

Baby Shampoo is actually very good for your brushes and makes them nice and soft. The 'professional' makeup cleansers are great for spot cleaning but to properly cleanse the brush you definitely need something like baby shampoo
agreed. the cleansers don't thoroughly clean, they need a good wash through and baby shampoo is great for this.

I trained with MAC and they recommended their own brush cleaner for on the spot cleaning, pure alcohol to kill germs etc and to wash in baby shampoo and cool water.

I found it difficult to get hold of pure alcohol.
I spot clean with Clinique spray brush cleaner as it drys super quick, time is everything on a shoot. I then clean in cool water and baby shampoo the night before my next job, this is just a habit to make sure that my kit is fresh and clean if it hasn't been used for a while. I only use MAC brushes xx

The brush spray is antibacterial. And I still stand by that baby shampoo isn't always the best. It can make certain brushes too soft and it doesn't condition them the best. There are other brands who do specific shampoos for this purpose that work much better.

Sorry Coco, I don't understand your reply?
The extentionist, can you share the names of such brands please? Always interested in other peoples recommendations x

Latest posts

Back