Cleaning your 'tools of trade'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournails

Reaction score
What disinfectant do you guys use to clean your nail tools after use on a client? thank you- laura xxx:)

MUNDO for sure is the best line in specifically SALON disinfection materials that there is. Their products cover a wide range of uses targeted particularly at nail and beauty salons.

Barbacide for any metals.

I actually find that MUNDO products are far better for my metal products ... for years Barbicide has dulled the edges of my tools and oxidized others. I don't like rusty tools or dull ones. :green: MUNDO products do not have that effect and since changing I have noticed the difference.

I use Mundo also, i have the 2 litre concentrated one and its taking me ages to get through!
Does anyone know if i can use this type in a pedi bowl?
Once i've used it up i will be switching to the Rapid type.

I use Mundo also, i have the 2 litre concentrated one and its taking me ages to get through!
Does anyone know if i can use this type in a pedi bowl?
Once i've used it up i will be switching to the Rapid type.

Which of the products are you referring to (by name on the 2 litre bottle)?

I've not been using barbacide long enough for my metals to get a chance to go dull yet lol. Maybe once the bottle I have is done and dullness etc looks like a problem have a look at Mundo.

Which of the products are you referring to (by name on the 2 litre bottle)?
Sorry geeg ... im not very helpful am i?
Its the Mundo concentrated instrument & tool disinfectant and its taking me foever to get through! Has it takes an hour to fully disinfect, i'd like to change soon to the Rapid Instrument & Disinfectant, reason being an hour is too long and i forget about my submerged tools and end up leaving them soaking over night.

Thank you so much, thats really helpful.:)

I use barbicide for metals, have been using for 7 mths haven't had a prob with dullness yet tho... any thing i own metal is stainless steel. I use my gel cleanser for nail files too

I uses Barbicied, I have done for years and years and it has had no detrimental effect on my tools. It last for ages. I also boil everything once in a while!!

once you have disinfected your tools, what do you keep them in to keep them sterile before their next use?

I have a pot of barbicide on the table which i use all through each client... i use a small amount in a ramekin bought espescially for this) and have it on the table from before the client gets there until clean up time every time! I spray my files straight after client and just before a client comes... may seem a little excessive but better to be safe. I also refresh my barbicide every time (as i only use a little anyway - enought to cover the tips of cutters etc). A bottle of barbicide is approx £5 and doing it this wai lasts about 10 treatments... thats 50p per ramekin of barbicide, i think what they pay justifies this :) Hope that helps...

Emma, you do realise that you should be diluting Barbicide? you really need to be using the barbicide manicure jar as it tellas you exactly how much water to barbicide you need. If you are just pouring it into the ramekin and using neat barbicide you are at risk of overexposure to a hazardous substance.
A jar of diluted Barbicide is adequate to last the day in the salon but must be discarded at the end of the day and refreshed in he morning. You do not need to refresh after every client.

Also If you leave your tools even stainless steel ones soaking in barbicide they will eventually go rusty and dull like Geeg stated.
I have lost count how many of my stainless steel tools have gone rusty through prolonged soaking in barbicide.
7 months in the business isn't really a long time to notice a difference but they will eventually start to go rusty.
Stainless steel does rust, my £280 SS sink is proof of that :lol:
Jen xxx

I only have 1 client in each time only doing one or 2 a week... not sure i would keep it til the next client?

I cant believe this about the barbicide and i am so angry!!! I was taught by my trainer to use barbicide and never told to dilute it at all... In fact she never EVER did when training me... I am so angry! My friend whos also a hairdresser and been in the business years also does the same - so i will definitely be telling her to!!

I wasnt saying that 7 months of being in the trade would be long enough to notice a difference merely i was stating that i havent yet!! and i guess because i dont do many i wouldnt notice a difference yet, just answering the posters Question about what individuals use (i feel i need to justify myself).

Thanks re advice about barbicide...

I have a pot of barbicide on the table which i use all through each client... i use a small amount in a ramekin bought espescially for this) and have it on the table from before the client gets there until clean up time every time! I spray my files straight after client and just before a client comes... may seem a little excessive but better to be safe. I also refresh my barbicide every time (as i only use a little anyway - enought to cover the tips of cutters etc). A bottle of barbicide is approx £5 and doing it this wai lasts about 10 treatments... thats 50p per ramekin of barbicide, i think what they pay justifies this :) Hope that helps...

I use Mundo Power Plus and it only cost £4.25 a bottle, the solution needs changing only once every 5 days - in our salon we use half a litre a week approx which works out at about 20p a week! We know its one of the best products you can get beacause its Mundo & we use all there products :) Us nail techs need to save our pennies as much as we can, and this is a great way to do so!

x

I use Mundo professional Rapid tool and instrument disinfectant.

Not only am I safe in the knowledge that everything is definately clean, but my tools are left sparkling. I spray my files and leave them to dry in the large Mundo Jar between clients and use the hand sanitiser and also nail plate cleanser that Mundo sell.

It is all fab stuff and I do feel that sticking with one professional brand helps. I mean, just the word barbicide is quite industrial to me, some thing I wouldnt really want to connect with my nails as a client, and when searched online it can appear quite crude.

Searching Mundo, you get a nice professional website, fully loaded with info about the products and what they do, which is another great reason to use them.

I agree with everything that's been said about mundo. They have a great product for every job that makes everything easy easy.

However I must add that the process recommended for disinfection (by Habia and therefore the EH depts of the LA's) is that every tool should be washed with soap and water before putting Into a disinfecting solution. This is because they will pick up oils and debris from the skin (natural oils or products) and this will stop the disinfectant working properly.

This is the 'right way'. However, personally, I can't see what's wrong with throughly wiping the tool with Mundo hard surface wipe or a pad soaked with an alcohol cleanser before popping into the disinfectant.

By the way, undiluted Barbicide is an irritant and wearing gloves while diluting it is recommended as is washing/wiping it off or allowing tools to dry before using ! Dilution and usage instructions are on the bottle!!

Latest posts

Back