Clickable Geek logo on your desktop... one that works

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanny

Reaction score
Following on from a failed attempt (another one lol) to install a clickable logo for some geek-hungry geeks who wished to go straight to the geek site when they start up their pc, I have a workaround solution. For those who are wondering what I'm on about, we tried to use a HTML page as a desktop wallpaper but apparently Mac users and those running Vista cant avail of that method.

Go to the geek site, oh ok, you're already here :smack:,

(1) If you're using Internet Explorer, right-click on a blank piece of the webpage and select 'Add to Favourites'

If you use Firefox, right-click on a blank piece of the webpage and select 'Bookmark This Page'

(2) Now reduce the size of the webpage so that you can see your desktop and then

(a) In Explorer, click on 'Favourites' in the overhead menu and scroll down to Salon Geek now installed at the bottom of the list and simply drag the icon out onto your desktop. You're done!!

(b) In Firefox, click on 'Bookmarks' in the overhead menu, scroll down to the Salon Geek icon at the bottom and drag it across onto your desktop. Voilá

That's it, your icon when clicked will now take you straight to the geek site. If you're like me and want to take things a step further by making it easier to find your icon, (I've got about 50 icons on my desktop cos I'm adding and deleting stuff regularly) you might like to move your geek icon up nerer the top left of your screen. 'Right-click' on your desktop, go to 'Arrange icons by..' and make sure that Auto Arrange is turned OFF, now move one of the icons that is presently up near the top left of your screen so that we'll have space for our new geek icon. Drag it anywhere for now, it doesnt matter where. Now drag the geek icon to the empty space. Again 'Right click' on the desktop, again select 'Arrange icons by..' and this time make sure that Auto Arrange is turned on. Your stray moved icon will pop in somewhere and your new geek icon is safely tucked up in its new home at the top left of screen, safe from accidental deletion.

Now how easy is that? :)

Latest posts

Back