Client can't seem to wear enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyDodds

Reaction score
Hiya,

I had a new customer who phoned me asking about a natural nail overlay (I'm a l&p tech). She'd heard she could have it applied, that it would last 2-3 weeks and then have it removed. Yes, i said within reason, so we booked her in for an appt prior to her hols. When she came in for the appt she said she'd always had problems with her nails, and that any time she'd applied polish in the past, she wouldn't even get an evenings wear out of it before it started getting hairline cracks and chipping. I put this down to her nails being very soft, and took it into consideration when applying the nno. I prepared as normal, scrubfreshed and then primed twice, just in case. They looked super when she left, then 3 (three!) days later she came back and they had ALL lifted! Every last one of them, and a lot, nearly half way down the nail. I was flabbergasted, i've not seen anything like it in my 5 years of tech-ing. I soaked the set off, and did a manicure. My poor client (and me) are at our wits end, is there anything anyone cane recommend? She's tried every strengthener out there and they just peel off. What can we do?:cry:

The best I can figure is either

A) something in her home environment or work environment is affecting her nails (cleaning agents????)

or

B) her health requires she takes a certain medication daily that results in changes in her nailplate/hair & skin....

I have noticed that my "serial lifters" are the ones that take anti-depressants. One of which also has thyroid issues and takes medication for that as well.

EVERYTHING lifts on her: uv gel, L&P, tip-n-dip... nothing stays stuck long. However, she & I have noticed since that they decreased her meds, the situation has improved.....

If none of your other clients are experiencing this, then it's down that client's health and/or lifestyle.
It's unfortunate, but don't take it to heart.

hth's

Any chance she's diabetic? My BFF is on insulin and we can't keep nails on her no matter what we do. It's VERY frustrating.

Any chance she's diabetic? My BFF is on insulin and we can't keep nails on her no matter what we do. It's VERY frustrating.

I have a long term client who has just started taking insulin to control her diabetes and nothing will keep them on! :grr:

One of which also has thyroid issues and takes medication for that as well.

How interesting, now I know why my nails lifted when I had them done :irked: Does that stand for all types of enhancement ? (sorry am not a Nail Geek)

My mum is on medication for thyroid problems and seems to lose her enhancements within a week too. She has also said that since she started her menopause her hair and nail texture has changed dramatically, this has also caused problems with lifting on enhancements I do on her.

Kelly x

I am type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) and a nail tech. I only find that I have issues with lifting if my control is not spot on. The clients will understand if you ask them this :) Basically when my diabetes is under control my nails are fine, when its not it presents a whole host of problems all over the body not just nails!! hth :0)

Just food for thought...
When our skin and hair is affected by health issues/treatments/medications, it only stands to reason that our nails would be too.

Perhaps by bringing this up with a client, it might be easier to delve into her health without seeming indiscreet, once you have her understanding this.

hth's

I have a customer like that lady, soft bendy nails, nno's don't last very long at all. When she was pregnant (twice!), her nails got long and strong, her hair was thick and lovely, and nno's and enhancements lasted. After she gave birth it was all down hill from there - her hair fell out and her nails broke. Must be hormones or maybe the foliate pregnant ladies take... or something ??

I have a client that can't keep enhancements on her nails either and after reading this thread I asked her if she was taking any of the medications you all mentioned. She is taking Topamax which she says is an anti-seizure medication, but she was given this medication for migraines. Besides this she says she was taking birth control but stopped taking that about a month ago. What do you all think, would either of these meds affect her nails?

One of the first fundamental things that should be taught to ALL students of nail technology is that ones nail condition is a mirror to ones general health. One of the first things doctors used to look at when I was a child was the nails.

I'm very surprised that anyone is shocked to discover that people whose general health is not good should have problems wearing nail enhancements. :eek: We all know that the stronger the natural nail, the better the client wears nail enhancements therefore, the opposite is true.

People on heavy medication or in poor general health may have problems wearing enhancements. To ascertain this information is why we ask those health questions during a client consultation and make a note of it on the Client Record Card that I'm sure you are all using religiously (well you should be if you are serious about what you do).

As soon as a client tells you that she can't keep polish on her nails this should immediately raise a red flag to tell you that she probably will not be able to keep enhancements on either. The client should be informed of this and then if she still wants to go ahead with the treatment, it is at her own risk and you have done your job by giving her the warning.

I have a long term client who has just started taking insulin to control her diabetes and nothing will keep them on! :grr:

I have never heard of this. I am diabetic type 1, insulin dependent and have had tips and gel for about 5 or 6 years. Mind you I have only been diagnosed just over 2 years ago but I haven't had any changes. When a diabetic is running a high sugar level their skin, nails become very dry. Whether that has anything to do with it I don't know, but it is most interesting.

I have noticed that my "serial lifters" are the ones that take anti-depressants.

Oh wow! I am sooo glad I stumbled across this post. I have a client who nothing will stick to- gel, l&p etc. tried it all and just could not understand what was going wrong with this one lady as she uses gloves when cleaning etc. etc. I prep really well take extra time etc. yet still problems so I asked and she is on anti-depressants! Thanks, you have restored my confidence.:lol:

Latest posts

Back