Client in hospital after semi perm lashes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got to do a patch test on a new client tomorrow so will be attaching a couple onto the outer lashes. This client is my first proper new client.

I have been doing the infills for the clients of the previous salon owners... I haven't patch tested them as they were infills and they are obviously ok with them... should I have patch tested them? I didn't even think to do it as they were infills

Poor you, what a nightmare.
I trained with Marvel Lash and your right they don't teach to patch test.

Let us know how you get on and what your insurers say.x

I don't patch test, I use Xtreme Lashes. Their reasoning behind it is...

1. The glue should not come into contact with the skin.

2. Putting a couple of eyelashes on each eye as a patch test is not an effective way of telling if someone will have a reaction. You'd need to put A LOT more on to work out whether or not someone will get a reaction. You're not exposing the eye area long enough to give it a fair test.

3. When giving a thorough consultation, and I mean THOROUGH (not just have you got any allergies!) if there are any red flags, I use the hypo allergenic adhesive I have. I doesn't have carbon in it, this is what makes normal adhesives black, which is one of the main ingredients that cause sensitivities / reactions.

It would have been highly unlikely that this client would have had a reaction to a patch test by just putting a couple of lashes on.

Yes - I would have stopped if the clients eyes were red and watering. I used to have this problem quite often because of how strong my adhesive was, but now I only use my hypoallergenic adhesive and NEVER encounter problems.

Last edited:
I don't patch test, I use Xtreme Lashes. Their reasoning behind it is...

1. The glue should not come into contact with the skin.

2. Putting a couple of eyelashes on each eye as a patch test is not an effective way of telling if someone will have a reaction. You'd need to put A LOT more on to work out whether or not someone will get a reaction. You're not exposing the eye area long enough to give it a fair test.

3. When giving a thorough consultation, and I mean THOROUGH (not just have you got any allergies!) if there are any red flags, I use the hypo allergenic adhesive I have. I doesn't have carbon in it, this is what makes normal adhesives black, which is one of the main ingredients that cause sensitivities / reactions.

It would have been highly unlikely that this client would have had a reaction to a patch test by just putting a couple of lashes on.

Yes - I would have stopped if the clients eyes were red and watering. I used to have this problem quite often because of how strong my adhesive was, but now I only use my hypoallergenic adhesive and NEVER encounter problems.

My reasoning would be.... Hair colouring and eyelash tinting can cause a reaction and shouldn't really come into contact with the skin. But it does and can cause a very bad reaction. Just because the glue doesn't touch the skin at all does not mean it cannot cause a reaction and that's a fact. A fact I would not be willing to wager with I'm afraid

My reasoning would be.... Hair colouring and eyelash tinting can cause a reaction and shouldn't really come into contact with the skin. But it does and can cause a very bad reaction. Just because the glue doesn't touch the skin at all does not mean it cannot cause a reaction and that's a fact. A fact I would not be willing to wager with I'm afraid

I'm not saying it doesn't!

I'm saying it's a part of the reasoning. Just putting a couple of lashes on each eye doesn't give you enough exposure from the adhesive to judge whether or not a client will have a reaction. A lot more lashes would have to be applied for an accurate patch test.

I don't do lashes but could you not do a patch test on the inside of the elbow? Straight on the skin I mean? it's thin there but far enough away from any eyes to not cause any serious damage and it would still show if there was a reaction to the product no?

Is there a proper written down test then for this then, because putting people down for what they do/don't do isn't really solving anything

Me personally would put some lashes on, at least expose them to the products in the area to see if anything happens. Off topic but my nut allergy goes mad even if I rub my eye after holding a jar of Sun Pat (never done it since!!). You can't really be "a little bit" allergic, you either are or you aren't.

I am just about to embark on lash training with ilash (abx beauty) and I am just working through the training manual now. It says to patch test a small amount to the inside of the wrist and a couple of lashes on the outer of each eye.

The even have sent me out the glue to patch test my model for my course next week.

I had an allergic reaction to a certain brand of mascara which doesnt touch the skin and both my eyes went red sore and itchy - I could hardly open my eyes

I hope the OP sorts it out and although prob very stressful at the moment as another geek said you WILL come out of it a better and knowledgeable therapist
xx

I am just about to embark on lash training with ilash (abx beauty) and I am just working through the training manual now. It says to patch test a small amount to the inside of the wrist and a couple of lashes on the outer of each eye.

The even have sent me out the glue to patch test my model for my course next week.

This is what your meant to do, the insurance companies say this too, it's done for a reason. We do eyelash tinting, you do a patch test, it's just the same, putting a couple of lashes on the eye and the glue of the wrist is a good patch test doing no patch test and just a consultation is just silly. This girl is on hospital when a patch test could have very easily been done and the could have had a reaction and you would have saved her a trip to a&e! Now insurance if a patch test is needed and you haven't done one well sorry but if this girl sue's you, then your on your own the insurance won't want to know, so yes yes yes a patch test is a must! And for people to say its pointless then there is a lesson there. To the pos

This is what your meant to do, the insurance companies say this too, it's done for a reason. We do eyelash tinting, you do a patch test, it's just the same, putting a couple of lashes on the eye and the glue of the wrist is a good patch test doing no patch test and just a consultation is just silly. This girl is on hospital when a patch test could have very easily been done and the could have had a reaction and you would have saved her a trip to a&e! Now insurance if a patch test is needed and you haven't done one well sorry but if this girl sue's you, then your on your own the insurance won't want to know, so yes yes yes a patch test is a must! And for people to say its pointless then there is a lesson there. To the pos

It is unlikely that applying a couple of lashes to each eye would have avoided this situation. Sensitivity issues where the eye has been exposed to the vapours / ingredients in adhesives tend to occur after more than a couple of lashes have been applied. Doing a patch test on someones wrist is not the same as an eye being exposed to vapours from adhesives.

Some insurance companies say patch test, but most in my experience say to do what your training provider teaches you. Mine is the global leader in eyelash extensions, and it was started by a nurse in the US who did years of research before going live. Being an American company with all their legislation etc, and the fact that everyone sues everyone, I can only imagine how everything had to be 100% correct before they went forward.

Not all eyelash adhesives are the same, some have different ingredients (as mentioned before mine doesn't contain carbon which is a common irritant in adhesives).

As a trained lash stylist, you should be guided by whoever you trained with. It's not up to us to judge whether you should or shouldn't have done a patch test, every brand is different. Your training provider should be the one to advise you on that.

But what you should have done was stop at the first sign of irritation.

It is unlikely that applying a couple of lashes to each eye would have avoided this situation. Sensitivity issues where the eye has been exposed to the vapours / ingredients in adhesives tend to occur after more than a couple of lashes have been applied. Doing a patch test on someones wrist is not the same as an eye being exposed to vapours from adhesives.

Some insurance companies say patch test, but most in my experience say to do what your training provider teaches you. Mine is the global leader in eyelash extensions, and it was started by a nurse in the US who did years of research before going live. Being an American company with all their legislation etc, and the fact that everyone sues everyone, I can only imagine how everything had to be 100% correct before they went forward.

Not all eyelash adhesives are the same, some have different ingredients (as mentioned before mine doesn't contain carbon which is a common irritant in adhesives).

As a trained lash stylist, you should be guided by whoever you trained with. It's not up to us to judge whether you should or shouldn't have done a patch test, every brand is different. Your training provider should be the one to advise you on that.

But what you should have done was stop at the first sign of irritation.

I only did my training last year, with abx, doing the ilash course, the trainer said how recently it has changed, previously you doing need to patch test but due to the number of reactions they were saying that you now have to patch test. Babtac have said to patch test. And everytime you change your adhesive then you could patch test again. So no I'm not judging!

hi hun

I really do feel for you, but to be honest you should be covered because i done marvel lashes and was NEVER told to do a patch test. reason for this is because the lashes should not touch the skin. We always have a consultation form to be signed before treatments start to cover us. hope you manage to sort something out x

I only did my training last year, with abx, doing the ilash course, the trainer said how recently it has changed, previously you doing need to patch test but due to the number of reactions they were saying that you now have to patch test. Babtac have said to patch test. And everytime you change your adhesive then you could patch test again. So no I'm not judging!

I would be more concerned that so many people were having reactions! It's not something I'm familiar with with the adhesive I use.

ok bit of subject but i'm just wondering as trained in flares and strips, but do not do them to clients, would u do a patch test with the glue on the wrist as if you stick one flare or one strip on to it will look rather strange sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm just wondering about it now :confused:

hi hun

I really do feel for you, but to be honest you should be covered because i done marvel lashes and was NEVER told to do a patch test. reason for this is because the lashes should not touch the skin. We always have a consultation form to be signed before treatments start to cover us. hope you manage to sort something out x

No - what you were trained is in a way irrelevant here... the critical point is "what EXACTLY does your insurance policy state". If it states "do as you're trained" fine, if it says "do as instructed by product" then I hope the product does not have small print saying patch test...

Of course if not covered then you could try to fight it in a court when they bring a civil claim - the point is you either have the backing of your insurance company or you don't - I phoned mine and discussed all 3 treatments I do to ensure I was clear on what I needed to do for them to consider me within their parameters to be covered.

ok bit of subject but i'm just wondering as trained in flares and strips, but do not do them to clients, would u do a patch test with the glue on the wrist as if you stick one flare or one strip on to it will look rather strange sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm just wondering about it now :confused:

I've just done training for Weekend lashes and was told to always do a patch test behind the ear or on the inside of elbow first.

Hey Terry....how did you get on with your insurance company? Hope all OK. Xx

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

I was never told by Marvel Lash to patch test either! X

How did this go? Have you heard from the client. X

Latest posts

Back