Client in hospital after semi perm lashes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we try to get this thread back on track? It seems to have shifted to who did which course which wasn't how it started.

Thanks everyone!:D

My thoughts exactly shedunlop, the first posts were interesting and then.... Yawn x

Absolutely 100% agree with you! I think it's disgusting how beauty course TO DO WITH EYES! are taught in a one day course to non qualified professionals.
Of course the one dayers will disagree but that's because they haven't been to college to actually realise how things SHOULD BE taught and actually realise the risks involved.
Oh well I'm glad I did mine the right way! :) x

Not an eyelash pro etc but I'd just like to add my £0.02 in regards to these statements. I was like you, I thought an NVQ3 in beauty was a must for any beauty treatment.

I went into a salon to book an eyelash tint & eyelash extension appointment. I spoke to a therapist, all EE stylists NVQ3 beauty & then an EE course. I booked and then asked if the patch test should be performed now or should I wait until nearer the appointment. They said it wasn't necessary. Uhhh. I canceled. I then called up a mobile therapist - she hadn't done a NVQ but she was a lot more professional than the NVQ girls from the salon.

I feel your statements are very sweeping. Some colleges and some college graduates are awful too :hug:

Not an eyelash pro etc but I'd just like to add my £0.02 in regards to these statements. I was like you, I thought an NVQ3 in beauty was a must for any beauty treatment.

I went into a salon to book an eyelash tint & eyelash extension appointment. I spoke to a therapist, all EE stylists NVQ3 beauty & then an EE course. I booked and then asked if the patch test should be performed now or should I wait until nearer the appointment. They said it wasn't necessary. Uhhh. I canceled. I then called up a mobile therapist - she hadn't done a NVQ but she was a lot more professional than the NVQ girls from the salon.

I feel your statements are very sweeping. Some colleges and some college graduates are awful too :hug:

Ure so right I've just passed my level 2 stating my level 3 soon. But I heard a therapist who is highly trained experienced and the rubbish she was coming out with about Ee and never ever does a patch test. I was going to quote her but I thought she wouldn't be impressed x

The whole one day or nvq and such is a whole other thread... One which I believe exists!

Still hopefully the client that ended up in hospital is now ok x

The whole one day or nvq and such is a whole other thread... One which I believe exists!

Still hopefully the client that ended up in hospital is now ok x

Ive definitely read one or two of those :)

Jurate xx

Do any of you know of a glue that is quick setting that I can purchase in the US

I trained in Marvel lash the other month and I was also told we do not need to do a patch test with the marvel lash glue unlike other glues.

I trained in Marvel lash the other month and I was also told we do not need to do a patch test with the marvel lash glue unlike other glues.

The only thing that I find marvel lash glue unlike others is that it has no positive points! Entirely useless x and it's made of chemicals do could cause a reaction

The only thing that I find marvel lash glue unlike others is that it has no positive points! Entirely useless x and it's made of chemicals do could cause a reaction

lol love it Clare! & I so agree with you haha x

Agreed!! Marvel lash was a complete and utter waste of my time and money.. The glue was horrendous.. I paid to convert to lash perfect and am very happy!! I always patch test otherwise i wont go ahead but as has been said marvel lash do not teach you to patch test so hopefully you get it sorted.. Really feel for original poster, horrible situation to be in.. Good luck luvli x

I did a btec in beauty science, so level three over two years and have always patch tested for perming and tinting and never done 'waiver' forms as have met people completely allergic to colour and know it can blind you...I qualified in summer 2005...

...in Sept 2007 I trained in extensions with Marvel Lash-it wasnt a unit in my two year course. The training was expensive and not great...the trainer was late and I didn't feel confident but practiced on friends and family and have been lashing ever since. As I was trained I never ever have done a patch test...I've heard of brands sealant and primer giving reactions and under eye pads itching but never a full blown reaction from glue...

...to the poster, I'm sure you will be covered, otherwise Marvel lash are wide open to being screwed...I paid for training, I'm covered as I am qualified, I'm not a cowboy practitioner- I believed in what my trainer said and have had no issues with glue and my clients...but i am VERY CONCERNED. I will be ringing marvel lash and I will be ringing my insurer. I don't want to put anybody into hospital!!!

I trained with Marvel Lash and thought the techniques taught were very good. I am doing very well using them :)

They do not teach patch testing, however, I am doing that anyway as it seems common sense - but then I am sensitive to a lot of things, so that may be why it crosses my mind?

Also, the glue IS rubbish! I have just ordered a Flirties kit to convert to!

As for the insurance issue, EVERYONE has the potential to sue for just about anything - watch Judge Judy! And all those Lawyers for You adverts etc, I guess it's a case of do anything you can to cover your own back - did she claim?

Marvel lash scares me, I've been qualified nearly 3 years now, did a one say course but then has to do case studies and written work then after a year went and completed master training.
I recently went to a local college to help a friend pass her waxing, loads of girls doing marvel lashes and saying how bad the results are and the horror stories
Obviously having paid a lot of money an then hearing how people training with marvel lash who's products are not nice (in my opinion) and undercutting etc is annoying as hell, but I am so shocked about the lack of patch testing, this is someone's face and your business, word of mouth is the best way for business and the first to destroy you, am so shocked why this isn't made clear to all professional new or old taking these courses, my insurance declares me void if I have no proof of patch testing, yes this annoys clients if I refuse to do a walk in and can lead to loss of clients because other technicians are happy to not patch test but, I would always rather be safe than sorry x

of patch testing,

Just to clear the patch testing issue up.
2011 New legislation came into force for the United kingdom.
Every one who is having hair or lash colour applied must be patch tested behind the ear or in the bend of the elbow 24 to 48 hours before the treatment.
Quiet frankly I find the thought of patch testing near the eye to be frightening, the who idea behind patch testing is to see if the skin reacts to a product. The reaction is normally something along the lines of raised skin that may be red and or itchy. So the last place you want to risk a reaction happening is the eye area.
Everyone who is having an eye treatment that includes the application of glue must also be patch tested 24 to 48 hours before.
This includes, strip lashes and cluster lashes.
I know this for fact because we have to do this at college and a royal pain in the butt it has proved to be for us, getting clients in who want lashes or tint treatments is not a problem, getting them to come to the college each and every time for the patch test is.
They were willing to do it once but the sticking point (no pun intended) is that it has to be done each and every time for every treatment.
It's all good and well for your insurance company or your training provider to say differently but the fact is, you the therapist are supposed to keep up to date with changes in the law.
If you get taken to court it's your business that will end up bankrupt because the court will say you have the obligation to protect the client from harm. It comes under the common law of duty of care.
It doesn't matter if it's latex or nuts or glue. It's your responsibility.
To the op I hope this hasn't turned into your worst nightmare and that the client has made a full recovery.

Just to clear the patch testing issue up.
2011 New legislation came into force for the United kingdom.
Every one who is having hair or lash colour applied must be patch tested behind the ear or in the bend of the elbow 24 to 48 hours before the treatment.
Quiet frankly I find the thought of patch testing near the eye to be frightening, the who idea behind patch testing is to see if the skin reacts to a product. The reaction is normally something along the lines of raised skin that may be red and or itchy. So the last place you want to risk a reaction happening is the eye area.
Everyone who is having an eye treatment that includes the application of glue must also be patch tested 24 to 48 hours before.
This includes, strip lashes and cluster lashes.
I know this for fact because we have to do this at college and a royal pain in the butt it has proved to be for us, getting clients in who want lashes or tint treatments is not a problem, getting them to come to the college each and every time for the patch test is.
They were willing to do it once but the sticking point (no pun intended) is that it has to be done each and every time for every treatment.
It's all good and well for your insurance company or your training provider to say differently but the fact is, you the therapist are supposed to keep up to date with changes in the law.
If you get taken to court it's your business that will end up bankrupt because the court will say you have the obligation to protect the client from harm. It comes under the common law of duty of care.
It doesn't matter if it's latex or nuts or glue. It's your responsibility.
To the op I hope this hasn't turned into your worst nightmare and that the client has made a full recovery.

This makes perfect sense Susan. I still never got an answer to my question RE if the lashes are not glued to the skin, then where are they glued??? From the lack of response I guess it IS actually glued to the skin. I did think it was entirely obvious but was confused by numerous posts stating the glue didn't come into contact with the skin

P x

to the skin

This makes perfect sense Susan. I still never got an answer to my question RE if the lashes are not glued to the skin, then where are they glued??? From the lack of response I guess it IS actually glued to the skin. I did think it was entirely obvious but was confused by numerous posts stating the glue didn't come into contact with the skin

P x

to the skin

Individual Semi Permanent Eyelash Extensions are bonded to one individual natural lash.

The natural lash is isolated so there is only ONE natural lash between the tweezers, ONE semi permanent eyelash extension is selected and the root is placed in the glue, this glue is stroked over the natural lash and the semi permanent lash is placed on the natural lash leaving approx 2 mm from the lash line, therefore ensuring that the natural lash can grow without hinder or damage to the natural growth cycle of the lash. This procedure is carried out anywhere between 80 and 110+ lashes on each eye.

Hope that helps :)

Individual Semi Permanent Eyelash Extensions are bonded to one individual natural lash.

The natural lash is isolated so there is only ONE natural lash between the tweezers, ONE semi permanent eyelash extension is selected and the root is placed in the glue, this glue is stroked over the natural lash and the semi permanent lash is placed on the natural lash leaving approx 2 mm from the lash line, therefore ensuring that the natural lash can grow without hinder or damage to the natural growth cycle of the lash. This procedure is carried out anywhere between 80 and 110+ lashes on each eye.

Hope that helps :)

Blinkinggorgeous thanks for explaining that. Gosh it sound very technical. You'd need great eyes for that. I'll be getting the peepers checked before I train in lashes.

Blinkinggorgeous thanks for explaining that. Gosh it sound very technical. You'd need great eyes for that. I'll be getting the peepers checked before I train in lashes.

Me to Pauline, I would love to offer this service, I'm a big fan of little fiddly arty stuff but I can barely see well enough to put cluster lashes in place:)
I'm thinking I would have to invest in a pair of those goggles that you see surgeons use in micro surgery, so if anyone has seen a site with these for sale at a reasonable price, could they pm me please? :hug:

Me to Pauline, I would love to offer this service, I'm a big fan of little fiddly arty stuff but I can barely see well enough to put cluster lashes in place:)
I'm thinking I would have to invest in a pair of those goggles that you see surgeons use in micro surgery, so if anyone has seen a site with these for sale at a reasonable price, could they pm me please? :hug:

I know they sell them at www.asunailandbeauty.ie and www.beautyexpress.co.uk :)

Jurate xx

Latest posts

Back