Client keeps cancelling!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzion

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have an extension client who is really messing me around! First time I did her extensions was in September, just for body, before I'd got up the road from consultation she was texting asking for more hair, it was Balmain so nice and thick and not cheap, so I ordered an extra pack, conveniently on the day she forgot this and didn't have enough money! 4wks later she was pestering for more hair, I advised her to wait for her maintenance, which was booked 4 wks after then as I was going in hols for 4wks. Flew home on the Wednesday, turned phone on to a text cancelling the appt for 2 days later. I was furious, one cos I knew it would happen, and two, cos it infuriates me when ppl cancel by text regardless of who they r. I didn't bother to respond as I always think it's the cowards way out.

Two wks ago she's contacted me wanting full head 22" ASAP, she came to me as I was to busy to go to her for consultation, paid deposit and I tried to order hair from Lush us, worried about availability after lots if threads on here and they were out if stock on one of the colors, I ordered stick tips as would rebond them, paid for next day delivery, package came, Lush us had sent wrong length, typical! They wouldn't send replacement until receiving wrongly delivered hair so I had to reorder and pay for correct hair, that was delivered open pack, then got a text from client cancelling her appt for next day as said boss wouldn't give her day off, as I'm not quick and only work during school hours, with travelling time I'd booked my whole working day off! Try to cut it short now sorry, I eventually let her rebook for today very reluctantly as paying £50 for childcare and I let her know that, well text last night saying dad had a stroke can't make appt!!!!!

I've had enough of this woman, to add Lush us haven't received the hair that I sent recorded delivery so still not refunded me.
I feel like putting the hair through her letterbox even though she still owes for a small amount, and telling her to go elsewhere, or take another deposit of £50 when she tries to rebook. What would you all do?
Sorry I've gone on a bit, but think writing it down is therapy.

Sharon x

What I **** client!

I hate these ones! What does your gut tell you?

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Take £50.00 deposit and make it crystal clear that it is not refundable unless she gives you xxx amount of days notice -- that is if you want to include this notice period. Otherwise tell her its not refundable. She comes on the day or she loses the money.

Jacqui xx

Sack her! One of my clients had her last chance today, and cancelled 3 hours before appointment. She's now sacked. I haven't told her but I will be conveniently busy each time she wants to book. Otherwise I will ask her for a 50% non returnable deposit.

Clients like these will never change, unfortunately I have learned the hard way.

Take £50.00 deposit and make it crystal clear that it is not refundable unless she gives you xxx amount of days notice -- that is if you want to include this notice period. Otherwise tell her its not refundable. She comes on the day or she loses the money.

Jacqui xx

Great idea!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

You must ditch this client. The best business advisors tell us to work with as near as possible our ideal clients. That way you do your best work, feel your best and get the best results. Your ideal client is not the same as everyone else's. For instance I like the challenge of fitting extensions to short hair. So that might be included in my ideal client. A fitting with a challenge. Whereas others may prefer an easy fitting.
The idea of an ideal client then is that you are a good match for each other. Now this lady is obviously not a good match for anyone....lol. But she will only find that out when enough therapists turn her down and show her that her behaviour is not acceptable.
Doesn't need to be impolite. It should be professional and respectful.
I've done it twice and it didn't cause any trouble. I simply said I didn't think my service was what she was looking for since I offer fittings to ladies with spendable income who can commit to a booking without fail. This one kept cancelling for money probs then kept popping up and doing the same again. So finally I told her what I've written above. and all was cool. She agreed! She said she needed cheaper really. So we were both suited.
Second one was for a lash party ...had previously cancelled her own lash appts then cancelled party twice! Then wanted to book again. She's a close friend of my daughter and a lovely lady but I said same sort of thing. Now she came back apologising and begging and offering to pay deposit and pay for any girls not turning up and insisting that come hell or high water the party would go ahead. So I caved....lol...and it did go ahead with 4 guests as promised and this Saturday I'm doing her second one also with 4 guests. So it can work in both those ways. They stay ditched or they shape up.
But you do have to take a stand.

Linda

I had a tanning party booked for today for ages! It's the school holidays, and believe me when I say childcare was a mission! Yesterday I call to confirm at lunchtime only to be told the host isn't feeling well and wants to rearrange, the only day she can do is thurs! (I'm already booked!) I'n all probability they had decided they would rather have the tan before the bank holiday, just like everyone else that booked I'n weeks ago! I politely pointed out that this date had been booked for a while as it's bank hol and the only other time I could do was Monday (which is true but who wants a tan on a Monday!) the host made a miraculous recovery!!! And it's back on! Some people! But these people put food on the table x

Thanks for your replies, it's all perfect sense. I would send her hair back and refund her but opened all the packs and cut the stick tips down the afternoon before when I had a snippet of time. Might make her sweat a bit, she never calls always texts which I tell her not to do, my work phone is a cheap PAYG so won't text from it, and won't use my private mobile, I did use it once, then she pestered me on that. She will be dropped!

I think also it pays to think of ways you could avoid the same problems yourself in future. So I'm thinking if you don't open the hair packs until client's bum is on seat then at least you are covered there too.
It is par for the course if we are working with clients that we will have to deal with challenging ones from time to time. Otherwise we'd need to get a job in a deep, dark office somewhere with no phones and only one very lovely boss. Lol.

But good luck from now on.

Linda

You can track the lost package through the recorded letter system you paid for, it will tell you if it's been received or not. Re client, advise her that as she has cancelled x amount of appointments with little or no notice she will need to pay 50% of the cost before you book her in for another treatment. this deposit is non refundable if she cancels within 24 hours. x

I've sacked a couple of clients before for late cancellations. What I say is this "I think it might be better for you if you were able to find a salon better able to accommodate your need for flexibility as I'm not able to do it"
They get the message.
A very wise and astute geek (she knows who she is) gave me a valuable piece of advice recently. "You do whatever you need to do to defend your business"

You're in business to stay in business, not to go out of business.

Yes I lke that Lynne. Good way of putting it. Because it is important not to get angry at these things and to behave graciously towards others. Anger is non-productive and besides it doesn't feel nice...lol. Bad for us. And I believe the truth is always the best way forward and the truth is not necessarily that this client is a bad person, or even a thoughtless person. It is exactly as you say....she needs flexibility beyond what our business can support. Nothing bad about that ...just a bad match.

Linda

Latest posts

Back