Client Reaction to Acrylic Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunette87

Reaction score
I completed a beginner course on 12th September and have been practising more all last week and managed to do 9 peoples. I done my friends on sunday and she was my 8th person.

When we were doing it, we noticed a small circle a few millimetres above the cuticle on one finger – so at the bottom of the nail – this went away when we had put on another bead to thicken the nail as it was a little thin and had buffered.

She called me yesterday so about 24hrs after, saying that these circles were now on 9 fingers, they were red and they hurt – she said it felt like an electric shock when she touched it. She is taking them off today as they are causing her a lot of pain.

She said that where the red circles are, its like there is no acrylic there anymore.

I am waiting for her to send me pics of this so I can get in touch with my trainer to see if she has came across this and what suggestions are but thought I would ask in the meantime if anyone knows what would cause this?

Due to me living about 40miles away from her, I wont get to see what they look like in person.

I have spoken to everyone else whose nails I have done and no one has anything similar. Is it a reaction to the branding of product? She has had acrylic and gel nails before and says this has never happened.

Any help/advise is welcomed:confused:

This sounds all too familiar. She is allergic to acrylic. I have been in the nail industry for 15yrs and am allergic to acrylic myself. If I get even a drop of liquid on my skin I break out in very small blister like bumps.
If this is what she is experiencing advise her to coat her skin in hydro cortizone as often as she can. This reaction will go away fairly quickly once she removes the nails.
Unfortunately, if this is what she is experiencing she will more than likely be allergic to acetone. Tell her to wash her hands vigorously and get the hydro cream on there ASAP.
Hope everything turns out ok!!

When we were doing it, we noticed a small circle a few millimetres above the cuticle on one finger – so at the bottom of the nail – this went away when we had put on another bead to thicken the nail as it was a little thin and had buffered.

She said that where the red circles are, its like there is no acrylic there anymore.
I am confused ,
is this on her skin or on her nails ?

you say you added more acrylic and smoothed it over ? thats her nail right?

if thats the case did you over file the nail plate and couse red rings from the file?

This sounds all too familiar. She is allergic to acrylic. I have been in the nail industry for 15yrs and am allergic to acrylic myself. If I get even a drop of liquid on my skin I break out in very small blister like bumps.
If this is what she is experiencing advise her to coat her skin in hydro cortizone as often as she can. This reaction will go away fairly quickly once she removes the nails.
Unfortunately, if this is what she is experiencing she will more than likely be allergic to acetone. Tell her to wash her hands vigorously and get the hydro cream on there ASAP.
Hope everything turns out ok!!

Hi there,

Thanks - i thought this may be a reaction - it must be to the product i used as she has had them before and they are ok.

I dont want to be limited to my clients by a product - do you know of any products that are for people with some allergies/senstive skin or nails?

Ive passed on the info about hyrdo cream - thank you :)

I am confused ,

if thats the case did you over file the nail plate and couse red rings from the file?

Sorry for the confusion - meant that i added more acrylic onto her nails and that 9 out of 10 nails have this - there is nothing on her finger/skin.

The 1 little circle that was there when i was doing the nails was there before i started to file and away after filing - and when i left the nails looked pretty perfect from what i could see! :confused:

Last edited:
I am confused ,

I agree this seems more likely if the redness is on her nails :hug:

Sounds like over filing to me "rings of fire" allergic reaction would more likely be blisters on the skin not the nails hth

Sounds like over filing to me "rings of fire" allergic reaction would more likely be blisters on the skin not the nails hth

Hi There,

Is there anyway to tell if this is happening? This circle was there before i started to file, and when i did start filing i found i didnt need to do much to smooth the acrylic as it was on good - i accept that it could have been this though - its just strange when i didnt spend as much time filing as when i did on my first client.

Well if the product is thinner then you wouldn't have to do as much filing to file through the product and be on the actual nail.

I guess you can feel the difference between product and nail and also use a higher grit as you get close to the natural nail and keep checking what you are doing/ filing all the time.

I've done it on me and had big red sore patches all over my nails when I started out and seen other people file through nails :eek:

I think doing your own nails also helps ans you can actually feel what you are doing so you can get an idea of what you are doing.

Geeg also has a tutorial on filing techniques in the tutorials section that you might find helps i think its called finishing techniques, read all of hers they are awesome!

Can't think of any more constructive advice than that my brain is mush this AM!

HTH

I completed a beginner course on 12th September and have been practising more all last week and managed to do 9 peoples. I done my friends on sunday and she was my 8th person.

She called me yesterday so about 24hrs after, saying that these circles were now on 9 fingers, they were red and they hurt – she said it felt like an electric shock when she touched it. She is taking them off today as they are causing her a lot of pain.

Hi

Im a alittle confused now with this thread. When you say circles that hurt on the nails, before you added any acrylic was there any circles. If not did you file the natural nail to prepare it for the acrylic and if so what grit file did you use. Maybe you used a higher grit than you should have and maybe filed too much. We have all done this when we were new. If you can clarify what procedure you done then maybe we can help a little bit more. As it has been said if you had a reaction to the acrylic then this would normally show with blisters on the skin rather than nail. Hope that this helps. Abi

Sorry for any confusion here

What happened was i filed her nails to prep for acrylics, applied tips, and started acrylics then the red circles showed. and overnight they began to hurt.

I think i may have used the wrong grit file by accident - i have one thats harder than the other but they look similar - i may have picked up and used without realising when i was prepping the nail.:confused:

So gutted its happened but its a learning experience i guess! Thanks all for ur help on this - its deffo something ill be more aware of with future clients.

One main thing I can think of:

- If you only removed the shine off the natural nail gently, then the first thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the tips were too small when you applied them to each nail? You shouldn't be pushing them down heavily to get a tip to fit snug (can't think of any other way to describe it!) if you do, when the product has finally cured it can cause a problem as if where the tip is trying to come back off again and 'relax'... Remember with tips, always go larger and size them down instead of forcing a smaller one to fit. It can be very sore if you use a smaller tip.

I'm really sorry, but I haven't got my technical head on today with a 14month old screaming around the house! But hopefully someone might know what I mean!!

The second, would be over filing on the natural nail for your prep.

Sorry for any confusion here

What happened was i filed her nails to prep for acrylics, applied tips, and started acrylics then the red circles showed. and overnight they began to hurt.

I think i may have used the wrong grit file by accident - i have one thats harder than the other but they look similar - i may have picked up and used without realising when i was prepping the nail.:confused:

So gutted its happened but its a learning experience i guess! Thanks all for ur help on this - its deffo something ill be more aware of with future clients.

:eek: we all make mistakes hun,and from what you have said it certainly sounds like ring of fire to me. When prepping the nail a 240 should be used with a light touch to remove the shine on the nail plate only.

That said some product do require roughening of the nail plate to ensure proper adhesion,these are not good products as they have a detrimental affect on the health of the natural nail,and really don't do us the professionals any favours in the whole acrylics ruin your nails saga:rolleyes:

When you have applied your product and finished with your abrasive it has created friction on the rest of the nails that weren't showing any signs of damage ,although some damage had already been done the repeated filling has now made it visible.

I would encourage your client to leave them on and not remove as they will offer some protection to her damaged nails.

You're not the first and won't be the last,many of us have done this when we first start out so try not to let it upset you and just make sure it doesn't happen again.

HTH'S :hug:

Latest posts

Back