Client Trouble

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fab message and fab advice. May I just ask one question ....... one thing which does concern me is if I say charge £15 as an introductory price, how do I then get it up to say £30. Where I live for full set of silk extensions the price varies from £32 to £37.50.

How did you explain your price increase to your clients and how long was your introductory price for?

x

Hi Lou Lou

I lived in Stevenage to start with and nail prices ranged from £28.00 - £45.00 - this was for nail tips. Sculptures were a whole different ball game as no-one saw this method before. So I set out that I was going to charge £30.00 for a full set, so I advertised in my local paper:

Special Monthly Offer: Nail Extensions for £25.00 normal price £30.00. Homebased salon and Mobile services.

I got five responses from this advert. Then each of them gave me 'word of mouth' clients and so on, I think because people used to go to the local nail bars and have tipped and airbrush, I became quite a novelity as my method was different and I made it quite clear that I was nothing like the nail bars in work or reputation. It took me three years and I had a client base of around 75 - 80 regulars. I also made it clear at the time of doing my monthly special offer nails that this was an introductory price. I didn't tell them I had just graduated though as I had already done around 60 - 70 sets and at the time I thought that would have put them off. But I have to say it doesn't always put people off. When your new you are so desparate to get people through the door, I worked 7 days per week and long long hours. Don't sell yourself to cheap or people will ask why.

I had one client who used to have sculptures done in London and paid £160 for a set!!! When I charged her £30.00 she nearly dropped to the floor - she gave me £85.00. I told her I only wanted £30 and it was too big a tip and she told me to not be so stupid and the only tip she'd give me was to put up my prices!!!

I've now moved to Ely, and rent a room in a hair salon which was so scary - having to start over again. Lol but have to say I have been trading for 10 months and have a regular client base of around 30 regular people so far and more coming on board with other treatments too. My prices have dropped due to the area being a bit cheaper I now charge £25.00 for p/w scup's and £20.00 for white tipped plastic and £30/£35.00 for coloured/glitter acylics. I haven't done alot of advertising, but word of mouth again has proved invalueable. I hold monthly special offers and packages. Wedding and Prom's are very busy. I even travel back to Stevenage once a month as I still have a small client base there still as they don't want to go to anyone else, they even pay extra for petrol!!

When people see how passionate you are about your job, and see what a good job you have made on them, they will come back for more. Another tip is loyalty cards, mine are five return visits and receive 5% off, 10 10% off and 15 receive 20% off. I do the same for recommending new clients too. It's giving people a reason to come back. I have gold loyalty cards which once a client has been to me more than 15 times they receive 5% for the whole time they come to me.

hope this helps.

Hi Lou Lou

I lived in Stevenage to start with and nail prices ranged from £28.00 - £45.00 - this was for nail tips. Sculptures were a whole different ball game as no-one saw this method before. So I set out that I was going to charge £30.00 for a full set, so I advertised in my local paper:

Special Monthly Offer: Nail Extensions for £25.00 normal price £30.00. Homebased salon and Mobile services.

I got five responses from this advert. Then each of them gave me 'word of mouth' clients and so on, I think because people used to go to the local nail bars and have tipped and airbrush, I became quite a novelity as my method was different and I made it quite clear that I was nothing like the nail bars in work or reputation. It took me three years and I had a client base of around 75 - 80 regulars. I also made it clear at the time of doing my monthly special offer nails that this was an introductory price. I didn't tell them I had just graduated though as I had already done around 60 - 70 sets and at the time I thought that would have put them off. But I have to say it doesn't always put people off. When your new you are so desparate to get people through the door, I worked 7 days per week and long long hours. Don't sell yourself to cheap or people will ask why.

I had one client who used to have sculptures done in London and paid £160 for a set!!! When I charged her £30.00 she nearly dropped to the floor - she gave me £85.00. I told her I only wanted £30 and it was too big a tip and she told me to not be so stupid and the only tip she'd give me was to put up my prices!!!

I've now moved to Ely, and rent a room in a hair salon which was so scary - having to start over again. Lol but have to say I have been trading for 10 months and have a regular client base of around 30 regular people so far and more coming on board with other treatments too. My prices have dropped due to the area being a bit cheaper I now charge £25.00 for p/w scup's and £20.00 for white tipped plastic and £30/£35.00 for coloured/glitter acylics. I haven't done alot of advertising, but word of mouth again has proved invalueable. I hold monthly special offers and packages. Wedding and Prom's are very busy. I even travel back to Stevenage once a month as I still have a small client base there still as they don't want to go to anyone else, they even pay extra for petrol!!

When people see how passionate you are about your job, and see what a good job you have made on them, they will come back for more. Another tip is loyalty cards, mine are five return visits and receive 5% off, 10 10% off and 15 receive 20% off. I do the same for recommending new clients too. It's giving people a reason to come back. I have gold loyalty cards which once a client has been to me more than 15 times they receive 5% for the whole time they come to me.

hope this helps.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, it really is very much appreciated.

OMFG at £160 for a set of nails! Do you still have her as a client? She sounds like a lovely lady. Every Nail Tech's dream customer.

That sounds a great idea, customer loyalty cards. So would they get their discount at their 6th, 11th and 16th visit?

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question, it really is very much appreciated.

OMFG at £160 for a set of nails! Do you still have her as a client? She sounds like a lovely lady. Every Nail Tech's dream customer.

That sounds a great idea, customer loyalty cards. So would they get their discount at their 6th, 11th and 16th visit?

Here where I live they charge from 70 euros in the local salons and in the salons in the centre you can expext to pay between 70-100+ for a set not including nail art..

Hi Michelle,

Hi she was a fab lady and a client of mine for three years :D:D and we managed to get her off acrylics to beautiful natural nails. I then in turn had her recommend me to lots of people and also make up for a weddings Etc. So yes a therapist dream client. Sadly, she then moved into Greater London as she worked in the background of tv shows and couldn't hack the travelling all the timeand I moved to Ely :sad:. Bless her.

My loyalty cards - no only on their 5th, 10th and 15th onwards!!

i wouldnt hand over the money, if you do that you are addmitting to being wrong, you need to be given the chance to put them right and if she still isnt happy and youve seen them then refund her(and never do them again):irked:

I notice this isnt a brand new post, but i had the exact problem after i trained.
I charged £15 for a full set to cover costs etc and i done a full set 2 days before her holiday, i had a text from her daughter the next day demanding me to go round there and then and repair them and give her money back too! Bearing in mind, i had not long trained, and i was soooo pleased with the set of nails and left feeling really chuffed as my client seemed to be too! But i was working at the salon that day and had mobile clients too so there was no chance of me even seeing the nails which had apparently lifted (after one day?!?!)
It was her first treatment and i havent heard again, it did dent my confidence, especially seeing as though i didnt get to see the problem for myself, but i went out, did plenty more sets at a reduced rate and had some good feedback too.
Also, aftercare advice is key, i have made up little leaflets and give them too all my clients so they no how to look after there nails.
Nails aren't my speciality but i do enjoy them and do quite a few sets and my clients keep them maintained :)
All im saying, is dont let it dent your confidence, you hadnt long trained and its all learning curve, take feedback and do more and more to build your confidence up again :)

Also love the paper-glue thing! Definitely be using that :)

Good luck and stay firm and confident with your work xx

Latest posts

Back