Client Trouble

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im sure yours are great lou lou dont put urself down you just got to keep at it no one is perfect we all do things differently and we all see things differently. I will now be dealing with any of my clients problems over the phone beause i know that this is the right and professional way to do so.

im sure yours are great lou lou dont put urself down you just got to keep at it no one is perfect we all do things differently and we all see things differently. I will now be dealing with any of my clients problems over the phone beause i know that this is the right and professional way to do so.

All I will say is watch this space in about four months time, I bet there will be a thread from me in a very similar situation and worrying my head off over some horrible client who has made me feel the same way as you, but thanks to this site and the advice of you all, I hopefully will deal with it in the way you are now going to deal with it hun.

I can't remember the lady who used the 2 pieces of paper analogy but thanks to her, I will be using that one! Thank you all. xx

I have posted some pics in the Critique forum as I couldn't attach my pics in here. x

I agree on pricing. If you start too low you will struggle. In the area I worked in before, my cut and blow dry price was £18. In the area, a typical price was about £28 but I understood I was newly qualified. Then I sat my Level 3 and my boss put it up to £20. It wasn't up to me and her prices were low but we both were very good so there was no need for such low prices. When I made the move to my own salon, I had to put my prices up or I wouldn't make any money, and also to be in line with other salons. I put them up to £24 but I am stil veru cheap for the area but couldn't put them up any more because of my pervious clients. I am now looking at putting them up to maybe £26 but don't wanna annoy clients!

At the moment my college tutor is having a nightmare with me cos i'm trying to run before I can walk and she has to keep putting the reigns on me. I too want my nails to be perfect which obviously they are not and I keep emailing her pics of the sets of nails i've done and she then says you did this wrong, you did that wrong, blah, blah, blah. Of course I want her to say to me, Lou they are perfect, lol, but I know they aren't. However, I have put 110% into doing them and as long as I keep putting that 110 % into doing them, one day I will get there.

I wish my tutor was like yours...im doing the NVQ level 2, and my Tutor keeps saying 'well done' 'lovely' and when IM pointing out the flaws, im getting told they are fine....and 'your new'....'dont worry'. But as you know, you do worry, you want them to be nice!! I wish my tutor would say, 'no michelle, thats apex rubish....and smile pathetic' lol xx That way i think she would push me into perfection lol x

With regards to charging, I am currently only charging £10/set, to cover costs, a few people have given me more. Im currently only doing family and friends, and make it clear that i will be raising the prices. I keep telling everyone that the prices will be going to £15/£20 at the end of May....im hoping those smile lines will be sorted by then lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best of luck Ladies xxxxx

Firstly please dont put yourself down. I have been reading this thread since it started. Nails are hard to perfect. Its not an easy business. With nail biters you could try this... Place and blend a tip, create your smile line where it SHOULD be (if she was not a biter), then using an opaque pink (that matches clients skin tone) extend the nail bed so you are creating an illusion of a longer nail bed, the opaque will hide anything up underneath. You can also do this in reverse, placing the opaque pink first create your smile line then add the white. This will look allot more natural and the white wont be placed so far down the nail bed. I know its hard to do nail biters, first set I did I ended up doing the exact same thing. We all have to keep learning and practising. xxx:hug:

i am sorry to bombini for what i said in the heat of the moment i was just very angry and am feeling very down about all this my confidence is so low now i feel like giving it all up my apologies again to any non nail technician i may have offended.

thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

Aye this is nice to see :hug: I do think you have the makings of a great nail technician so don't be so hard on yourself
everyone has to regularly hone their skills to keep up with being the best in the business ,
and we all have our strengths and weaknesses to contend with , get this client back in and listen to what she says.... then use it as a learning curve ..... then do what you think is right to put it right ....
just don't let this hiccup knock you back, just keep on going and honing your skills,
recognize any weaknesses and strive to work hard on them and you will have people queuing up for you :)
don't let all your training and skills go to waste chin up :) x minky

Aye this is nice to see :hug: I do think you have the makings of a great nail technician so don't be so hard on yourself

Well said Minky! Just think how much you've learned through this one, unfortunate incident - it's temporarily knocked your confidence i'm sure but it will only make you a much better nail tech in the future! xxx

p.s. i also think your apology on a public thread was admirable! :hug: xxx

thanks everyone great advice x x x

i am sorry to bombini for what i said in the heat of the moment i was just very angry and am feeling very down about all this my confidence is so low now i feel like giving it all up my apologies again to any non nail technician i may have offended.

thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

I appreciate the apology and honestly meant no offence to you in my original post.

I know sometimes that we hear things we don't want to but if I had lied to you then I wouldn't have been helping you and ultimately thats what I was trying to do.

We've all had complaints some justified others not, its what helps us to improve :hug:

I totally agree Bombini.

I did two manicures today on my friends sister and mom. My friend said to me earlier that two of her mom's nails have chipped. Her mom didn't want to say anything as she didn't want to upset me but as my friend said, I would like to know, so I can avoid it happening again. I have offered to re-paint the two nails which I will do at a convenient time for her mom.

I do feel disappointed that the two have chipped because I really did work hard on her nails and made sure her nail plate was completely clean and oil free etc, but i've gotto take it on the chin (well it's certainly big enuff, lol) and just put it down to experience.

See J555_SXY I told you, i'd soon be posting about somebody complaining about my work, lol. How very dare they, lol.

I wish my tutor was like yours...im doing the NVQ level 2, and my Tutor keeps saying 'well done' 'lovely' and when IM pointing out the flaws, im getting told they are fine....and 'your new'....'dont worry'. But as you know, you do worry, you want them to be nice!! I wish my tutor would say, 'no michelle, thats apex rubish....and smile pathetic' lol xx That way i think she would push me into perfection lol x

With regards to charging, I am currently only charging £10/set, to cover costs, a few people have given me more. Im currently only doing family and friends, and make it clear that i will be raising the prices. I keep telling everyone that the prices will be going to £15/£20 at the end of May....im hoping those smile lines will be sorted by then lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best of luck Ladies xxxxx

Hey Shelley,

I think my tutor is FAB. I have a lot of respect for her. She's quite a "Feisty Chick" and doesn't mince her words, lol, but that is what I like about her. I get on really well with her. She goes above and beyond her teaching duties though because i'm constantly emailing her questions and pics and have text her a couple of times. I didn't contact her for a week and she asked me what was wrong cos she hadn't had anything and she was suffering withdrawal symptoms, lol. Bless her. I think what she likes is my entheusiasm and passion to learn.

After reading some of the posts I think I have been very very lucky, not only with having such a fab tutor but also the course content.

Hiya.
I was just wondering how you got in with the client in the end? Did she report you to trading standards? Or did she just disappear lol? I've been following this thread from the start and am curious :)

Hiya.
I was just wondering how you got in with the client in the end? Did she report you to trading standards? Or did she just disappear lol? I've been following this thread from the start and am curious :)

OOOhhhh me too xxx lol xxx

In my opinion the worst possible client is the eighteen ish year old nail biter.( i dont even know if this client of yours is)
They are so hard to please,do not understand that just because their mate wears long nail enhancements with no problems- so should they!

The nails you did for this girl if she is a nail biter were too long.I would say that she made you go against your better judgement and tip them this length.
Then because you did not use an opaque powder or gel to cover her free edge they didnt look right.
Had you painted them a Colour and filed them all the same length they may have been ok.
I agree with Bombini and other posters that the nails werent great,but also think that with a few small adjustments,slightly more product near the cuticle area,a little more smoothing with your file,perhaps consider opaque powder ,and a more consistent length-( sound like a lot- but not really )they would be good.
But i have to say in all honesty that if she is one of these (see above)
her friends ,the experts,always have an opinion-negative.
You have learned from this,that the next time you have a lovely client:evil:
like this-establish what you can do with the canvas you are presented with-at this time.
You have your basics-
more classes will show you how to enhance this nail type.

We all have complainers,right or wrong along the way-if it were me I would ask this girl to come back in for a new set foc .Tell her you will refund her for the last set.
Explain that you were challenged by her nail biteyness!! Try to do the new set in a different way(do it the same,get the same result)It would have her happy and I think it would be good for you too.
I know you said she was happy when she left the last time,she could be one of those people who say it at the time ,(like me at the hairdressers when i absolutely hate it and cry my eyes out when i get home but still give her a tip,and say its lovely)because they just dont want to hurt your feelings.
Its worth a try

Hiya.

she just disappeared lol

Hi folks, I've been doing nails for 6 years and I can honestly say that your nails will improve, its early days. You must bear in mind that people will give you advice and crit's. Take it on board and learn from it. I trained with NSI and had a male tutor - he was fab. I did my course and was told to complete 30 sets of nails. I actually did 50 and he knew exactly how many I had done when I completed my Practical exam. When I qualified and went out into the big wide world, I had an introductory price. Then after about 20 sets I then moved to 'full paying' client's. My first nails where good but not perfect. I look back and laugh!! I always ask myself would I be happy to wear them on my own hands? Each client is different and comes with their own different challenges. You will learn with experience how to tackle them. The paper & Glue method is fantasic and has also never failed me. Believe you me you will learn to stand up for yourself. People will always try to scare you with trading standards, but always make sure you give your honest opinion, advice and aftercare to your clients. Most importanly Client record cards!!! Record everything, Trading standards will take your side if you have done all you can to reslove a problem. Also do as many workshops they are invaluable with any extension problems you have. With nail biters - always explain to them that you will improve the look of their hands but they may not be as prefect as they would on a non-nail biter. They also have to come back the next week for infills as their nails could grow 2mm in a week, which could then cause an inbalance of the nail bed and extension causing the nails to lift . There are the two methods as previsouly mentioned, but I also do others: 1) cover the nail bed with acrylic and then extend this to the end of the finger so there is no length over the finger, shape and use nail polish. Once nail bed grows up they can then wear them longer as they get used to the length as the nail grows. 2) use a nail tip and glue to nail bed, again cut it so that there is no length over the finger tip. You can then use an opaque acylic and do a 'reverse' pink bed and a little white tip to make them more presentable. Always explain to them that their nails will improve with time. Over my years of being a tech I have taken on nail biters and most of which now have beautiful natural (overlaid) nails. I has taken many years for these to break their habits but with the help of the acylic they have stopped and are so so grateful - they aren't all a pain! Sorry to waffle on but there is light at the end of the tunnel you just have to keep going and keep doing nails. Oh and NO REFUNDS - soak off and polish FOC!!!

Good Luck :suprised:

Hi folks, I've been doing nails for 6 years and I can honestly say that your nails will improve, its early days. You must bear in mind that people will give you advice and crit's. Take it on board and learn from it. I trained with NSI and had a male tutor - he was fab. I did my course and was told to complete 30 sets of nails. I actually did 50 and he knew exactly how many I had done when I completed my Practical exam. When I qualified and went out into the big wide world, I had an introductory price. Then after about 20 sets I then moved to 'full paying' client's. My first nails where good but not perfect. I look back and laugh!! I always ask myself would I be happy to wear them on my own hands? Each client is different and comes with their own different challenges. You will learn with experience how to tackle them. The paper & Glue method is fantasic and has also never failed me. Believe you me you will learn to stand up for yourself. People will always try to scare you with trading standards, but always make sure you give your honest opinion, advice and aftercare to your clients. Most importanly Client record cards!!! Record everything, Trading standards will take your side if you have done all you can to reslove a problem. Also do as many workshops they are invaluable with any extension problems you have. With nail biters - always explain to them that you will improve the look of their hands but they may not be as prefect as they would on a non-nail biter. They also have to come back the next week for infills as their nails could grow 2mm in a week, which could then cause an inbalance of the nail bed and extension causing the nails to lift . There are the two methods as previsouly mentioned, but I also do others: 1) cover the nail bed with acrylic and then extend this to the end of the finger so there is no length over the finger, shape and use nail polish. Once nail bed grows up they can then wear them longer as they get used to the length as the nail grows. 2) use a nail tip and glue to nail bed, again cut it so that there is no length over the finger tip. You can then use an opaque acylic and do a 'reverse' pink bed and a little white tip to make them more presentable. Always explain to them that their nails will improve with time. Over my years of being a tech I have taken on nail biters and most of which now have beautiful natural (overlaid) nails. I has taken many years for these to break their habits but with the help of the acylic they have stopped and are so so grateful - they aren't all a pain! Sorry to waffle on but there is light at the end of the tunnel you just have to keep going and keep doing nails. Oh and NO REFUNDS - soak off and polish FOC!!!

Good Luck :suprised:

Fab message and fab advice. May I just ask one question ....... one thing which does concern me is if I say charge £15 as an introductory price, how do I then get it up to say £30. Where I live for full set of silk extensions the price varies from £32 to £37.50.

How did you explain your price increase to your clients and how long was your introductory price for?

x

Latest posts

Back