Client's children, Grrrrr!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i do not know how you mobile techs cope.
at least i can control my environment for the most part.
at sounds as if it can be awful in some peoples homes.

I know some parents dont have a choice when it comes to childcare but seriously, why would you want to take a child with you when having a treatment anyway? Surely it defeats the object? Id rather wait for a chance for my child to be looked after for half an hour or so and then sit back and chill with adult company for a bit!!
As mentioned before, i would remind this client that it is strictly no children allowed or they will be turned away from their treatment.
Dont be upset about it, rules are rules and its far better to have this disagreement done and dusted than to have other mums come with their broods and leave you feeling stressed and unable to concentrate! xXx

i have a sign up in the salon asking clients to refrain from bringing their children in under 10 years old. I have four children myself, but i cant stand having kids in the salon. maybe a sign in your cabin would make it clear that children are not allowed?

tigi

i have a sign up in the salon asking clients to refrain from bringing their children in under 10 years old. I have four children myself, but i cant stand having kids in the salon. maybe a sign in your cabin would make it clear that children are not allowed?

tigi

I do have a sign up in the salon, and its quite a big one, lol! It reads " please note, due to the nature of my insurance, and the treatments carried out, children under 12 will not be allowed in the salon. Many thanks for your co-operation and understanding"

Reading all of the replies it would seem that I am not alone in experiencing this problem, lol! Its such a frustrating problem though as it can, in the most part be avoided! I work from 9.30-9.30. You would think that there would be a time in that 12 hours that kids could be left else where:rolleyes::irked:

Not a lot of help but may provide a giggle.

One shop I LOVE has a sign in its window.

'Any unattended children will be sold off as slaves.' :lol:

Theres a reason I love that shop.

:hug:

Well it's a pain in the arse to be honest; I do mention that kids should be in a different room as politely as I can. Can't wait untill they're back to school:!:

Tbh I think it's easier as a mobile because the kids are in their own environment so have their own things to play with. I have a few clients that book their appt for when their little one is in bed having a nap and those with older pre-school children put on a dvd or make sure the kids are aware that they can't have their mum every 2 minutes! I have very few problems with kids and I'm full-time mobile. I have more problems with clients answering the door or the phone mid-appt!!!

I wouldn't encourage clients to have their kids present but I certainly don't forbid it. I wouldn't want them in my house though!!

I totally understand. I have 2 under three and all they want to do is get all my polish bottles out and line them up or touch stuff, tip stuff out.... etc.. So I don't like having kids in my salon. i have one client who is a good friend who brings her daughter if she doesn't have anyone to watch her, but She just sits there, so it doesn't bother me. she even wants her toes done! : )

Thanks for all your comments guys. Iv had hardly any blooming sleep all night worrying if I could have dealt with it better. I hate bad feeling!

Good grief don't let it bother you so much. She was in the wrong and the children more so.

I have had a similar problem in my day spa, I specifically do not allow children under the age of 12 into the salon unless they are having a treatment and the parental unit must be with them. The one exception that I made resulted in a great deal of damage and product waste. I was furious, and the client did not even offer to pay for the wasted products. I asked her to find a different salon. And I felt right in doing so.

During these Summer holidays I have had the same problem with clients who should know better turning up with their own and other people's kids who they were looking after! I have asked each and every one of them what their kids did with them at work. They looked puzzled and I asked again, when they took their children to work with them, what did they do all day. Obviously the answer always was that they didn't take their children to work with them, that it was not possible and their bosses would not allow it. I then explained that this was my place of work, full of chemicals and electrics!:eek:

Our insurance does not cover us for unsupervised children, full stop. If I was you I would print out some letters explaining politely but very firmly that you have no option but to not allow children at all under any circumstances. This is easier if you wish to avoid confrontation. It may mean a couple of cancelled appointments but better that than shattered nerves! :cry:

i work mobile and there is one client i dread to do as her little daughter touches all of my stuff, and her mum lets her get away with it:irked:! its not up to me to tell the child to not touch as i feel rude. It's your salon, send emails etc.. out to all of your clients stating that you cannot work with kids around you while you work also you are not insured for children. I wish i could have a no children's policy, but as i have said before it's a bit hard when it's you going to them. :)

i work mobile and there is one client i dread to do as her little daughter touches all of my stuff, and her mum lets her get away with it:irked:! its not up to me to tell the child to not touch as i feel rude. It's your salon, send emails etc.. out to all of your clients stating that you cannot work with kids around you while you work also you are not insured for children. I wish i could have a no children's policy, but as i have said before it's a bit hard when it's you going to them. :)

As far as your property goes, you are well within in your right to tell her not to touch. Politely of course, but you could say something like "I'm sorry sweetie, but I don't allow children to touch these things, not even my nieces". By adding "my nieces", you're showing that it's not this particular child you object to and the mother can't get offended.

If a parent is incapable of keeping their children under control, you shouldn't have to suffer the consequences.
My children are 5 & 7 years old and my 'salon' is in the upstairs living room at my house (family/play room is in the basement). They have never, not one single time, ever touched anything on my table or the polishes on the wall rack. They have been taught that it's a no-no. When my youngest was 2, she didn't even go near it. Having said that, parents CAN teach their children to stay away from you. But that's dependant on them and who's the actual boss in their house:rolleyes: (parent or the child?)

I understand that being mobile, a 'no children' policy is difficult. HOWEVER, you could make a "no children UNSUPERVISED" policy.
In other words, you will not do enhancements unless another caregiver is present to take care of the children and keep them away from the table where you are working.
For a few reasons this is important:
1) children WILL interupt, I don't care how well behaved they are...and interuptions cost you time and time is money. You could explain to the client that you have another following her and can't afford the time of interuptions as the other client doesn't take kindly to tardiness.
2) insurance reasons... they could knock something and get hurt or whatever...
3) if something is spilled (acetone/polish) due to a child bumping the table or whatever, WHO is paying for the spilled product AND the damage said product might do to the client's carpet/floor? In this case, it SHOULD be the client.
4) can you really do your best work with a child nearby, jostling the table and interupting ?? I can't.

I know it's hard to be firm about 'no children' policies. I myself am a mother and struggled to find time away from my kids on my own. BUT IT CAN BE DONE. Don't let anyone guilt you into it. There is ALWAYS a way around it, and if the mum says there isn't; she's not trying very hard. I sympathize with them, I really do. But there is ALWAYS a way.

Hth's

Latest posts

Back