Client's children, Grrrrr!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabinkel

Reaction score
Hi geeks, just wondered how those of you that work from home cope with clients bringing their kids! I work in a cabin in my garden, and have a no kids policy. Today a client has turned up with her 9 yr old, and the 9 yr olds friend. She said was it ok if the kids played in the garden till we was done, (about 45 mins). What choice did I have really?! In the time that they were here, they decided to play a game which entailed them running through my house! (my hubby had jumped in the shower so was upstairs) Somehow, my 7 yr old got hit, with a belt, in the face! I came in to find him sobbing, with a lumpunder his eye. I phoned the client as I was angry, and told her what had happened. Of course her kids denied it and said that my other boy had done it, (which my boys both said wasnt true)
What would you geeks do? I feel I should send a letter to everyone to re-illustrate that under no circumstances will I have children here, even if I lose business in the school holidays. My husband has hit the roof as he says how dare peoplebring their kids, let them run riot and my son gets hurt in the process! This is when I HATE working from home, arghhhhhh!

i only allow 1 kid to come and thats because he is the son of a personal friend who i do every fortnight. hes a lovely kid and will play with my daughter if shes there or play on his d.s. i know his mum well enough to say dan, you are driving me nuts, have a sweet and sit down !

ive always made it clear that my insurance doesnt cover children in my studio and that i find it too distracting anyway.

i guess i'm such a witch that no one has tryed to sneak them in :lol:

I have a home salon and have a strictly NO KIDS policy.

The odd client has turned up with them and they have had to sit in the corner of my room but it has always been a disaster. Parents have asked if they can watch my TV....no way does anyone go into the rest of the house, particularly as my dog is there.

Now, I make it plain...........if they turn up with kids, they will be turned away. I am not a high street salon, they don't pay high street prices. I simply cannot and will not accommodate children...............so far so good.

Have they spotted your childrens soup recipe Susan? :lol::lol:

yes, not only that, i always leave a few small human bones in the house.

How was the client when you phoned her? Was she apologetic at all? When she next books in, are you going to remind her she cannot bring them?

The client knows you said they were to play in the garden, so even without the injury to your son, they were doing wrong going in the house.

I would sack her.

ohh tha is awful i hope ur son is ok, what did the client do in regard to the incident xx :hug:

OMG, how awful! I hope your son is ok.

Don't people pee you off sometimes? lol

How was the client when you phoned her? Was she apologetic at all? When she next books in, are you going to remind her she cannot bring them?

The client knows you said they were to play in the garden, so even without the injury to your son, they were doing wrong going in the house.

I would sack her.

That is exactly my hubbys point! Even if it was a kids game that got out of hand, they should not have been in my home. Thats why I had the cabin built, so that my home remained my home!

If this had happened in normal circumstances, I prob wouldnt have phoned the client as I hate confrontation. The reason I did was a) my son get hurt, and b) the lady is a mum from the school, who I have known for a very long time, although I would not say friends as I always keep that distance, iykwim
She was at first apologetic and said she would speak to the kids. She also said that she had wondered why the kids had run off to the park when they got home, and now she knew! She then phoned me back to say that her kids had said that they did nothing. Her words were, "i think you need to talk to your other son about it" Now my kids are not angels, (what kids are) but they do not fight! I know that sounds unlikely, but they truely dont. They are both very much like their dad, peace loving, mellow and calm. Plus, my older boy had his arm taken out of plaster yesterday and has been in so much pain he hasnt really moved from the sofa!

I do have a notice in the salon that says that I do not allow children due to the nature of my insurance. What else do I need to do! Im annoyed at myself now as I feel uneasy about having had a confrontation, and a bit upset!

you'll have to turn them away in future to be sure nothing like this happens again.

its very unfair of clients to put us in this type of position. but i think that sometimes they just dont realise its any bother.:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your poor son.

I wont have any kids in my salon i always find it ends in trouble, they either attempt to get into the tend whilst thier mum is being tanned and end up half brown and half white, or they scream and scream because of the noise of the tanning machine.

I see you point about finding it hard to tell them they can't come in as I know at least one of my good clients would not come if I said here boy can't come in but he is a totally pain! I've stated on my treatment list that kids must be "controlled" guess I'm hoping a little too much!!

It about respect and some people have none!!

I had a new client wanting to bring her 3 year old son while she had a full set done. She said "he can just watch a dvd in the lounge room". I had to tell her no because my salon is at the other end of the house and he would have been totally unsupervised for 2 hours. Not good! Some parents just don't think. Or don't care?

Thanks for all your comments guys. Iv had hardly any blooming sleep all night worrying if I could have dealt with it better. I hate bad feeling!

if we wanted kids there we would bring our own. Some clients do annoy me in that they have an entourage with them when i turn up. I was having this same conversation with a therapist friend yesterday as i was thinking of giving up nails completly and she said to me right explain the circumstances cos i said i had done a terrible set and avoid nails completly. so anyway there were 2 kids there a dog a hubby and a friend, the kids kepts touching i had asked for no distractions and dog to be put away, i told her i was terrified of dogs (goes back to being chased by a huge one when i was little! lol) and asked her to put him away. he kept coming back in the room, after the nails which the kids kept touching my stuff i did spray tans for the girl and her friend, the kids wouldnt stay out of the room, kept pointing at the ladies bodies making comments etc.

I know what children are like, I have my own but honestly after that NO CHILDREN OR PETS otherwise I will go home. I have one client that comes to me as she has 6 huge dogs. She mentioned on the phone about the dogs and there is no way I could have done her lashes with them sniffing round me so Im happy for this one client to come to me. I dont really work from home but if I have to I even make sure my daughter is out.

Some clients are so cheeky, you home is your space thats why you have your cabin. arghhh! :)

That is exactly my hubbys point! Even if it was a kids game that got out of hand, they should not have been in my home. Thats why I had the cabin built, so that my home remained my home!

If this had happened in normal circumstances, I prob wouldnt have phoned the client as I hate confrontation. The reason I did was a) my son get hurt, and b) the lady is a mum from the school, who I have known for a very long time, although I would not say friends as I always keep that distance, iykwim
She was at first apologetic and said she would speak to the kids. She also said that she had wondered why the kids had run off to the park when they got home, and now she knew! She then phoned me back to say that her kids had said that they did nothing. Her words were, "i think you need to talk to your other son about it" Now my kids are not angels, (what kids are) but they do not fight! I know that sounds unlikely, but they truely dont. They are both very much like their dad, peace loving, mellow and calm. Plus, my older boy had his arm taken out of plaster yesterday and has been in so much pain he hasnt really moved from the sofa!

I do have a notice in the salon that says that I do not allow children due to the nature of my insurance. What else do I need to do! Im annoyed at myself now as I feel uneasy about having had a confrontation, and a bit upset!

This is very rude. I totally understand that you hate confrontation, and bad feeling, but I would seriously be very busy next time she wants to book in, and certainly don't ever give her an appointment that inconveniences you. Hopefully she will get fed up and drift away :biggrin:

Last edited:
God some people have no respect do they:!::mad:

It annoys me when I go to clients homes and their kids are running around whilst I'm trying to set up my equipment! I just ask polity that no kids or animals are to be near my spray gun as they could knock it or trip over it. (kids that is) I do need to concentrate when spraying for gods sake!!!:mad: It's the parents though, they should learn how to controll their children!

I agree! I have the same problem, I have one lady whose two year old loves to share the foot bath with his mum! Water everywhere! They also love to play with my nail varnish bottles, its hard telling other peoples kids to stop it in their own home and it should be down to the parents to stop them or get some help while they have their treatment but they don't seem to realise this!!

Kids do not belong in a salon! I've seen kids whiz their cars across the salon floor, almost tripping a client. Same kid took the coffee stirrers and dumped them on the floor. Also, sat on his mom's lap FIDGETING while she was getting polished. I would have had to say something but she was not my client...

I LOVE kids but not in a salon!

Ive just had to do a 6 week soak off & re-apply with a screaming 2 year old in tow....Why do they do it???

I now have the head ache from hell !!!

Try doing a haircut with a wriggling 3 year old on their lap! As the rudest most abrupt Londoner you ever met, I just stop work and say that I cant cut a moving target! Stupid bloody clients!

Latest posts

Back