Clients griping about consultation forms.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolly22

Reaction score
Hello guys and girls,

So I do more beauty treatments, I dont offer any massage or facials. I offer shellac, mani and pedi, tinting and waxing and tanning.

I have, what I thought, was a fairly simple consultation form but when I am asking people to fill it in they are getting a bit huffy. Not overly so but just asking "Why do I need to fill all this in" blah blah. Apart from saying to them "My insurance require it" which they do. And oviously you are looking for any contra indications.

Am I perhaps asking to much information? Anything you would omit?

Personal Information
Name: __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Address:________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________ _____________________

Tel number:__________________ Email:______________________________________________________

DOB:_____________________

Doctors name & surgery: _________________________________________________________________________

Medical Information
Are you currently undergoing any medical supervision?
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Are you currently taking any medication, whether prescribed or over-the-counter?
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Do you have any allergies? ________________________________________________________________________

Have you ever had an allergic reaction to any treatment you have had in a salon?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Do you suffer from, or have you ever suffered from any of the following:
Diabetes___ Cancer___ Skin conditions/infections___ DVT ___ Epilepsy___ Heart conditions___ Hypersensitive skin___
Are you currently pregnant? ____________________________________________________________________
Or any other medical condition I should know about? _______________________________________________

I affirmatively state that I have no illness or health condition which might be aggravated or otherwise adversely affected by the procedures I am obtaining from Amethyst Beauty Room. I confirm the above information is true to the best of my knowledge

Client Signature: ______________________________ Date: __________________________
clip_image001.gif
Please note I may use your email address to send you upcoming offers and events. I will not share your email address with any third parties. If you would not like any emails please tick this box.

From someone who isn't a beauty therapist, this seems like next to nothing. I've filled in forms asking loads more, even down to what I was expecting from the treatment.
The form asks for very little so I can't see y they complain x

Never sure why people as for Dr's details. Seems a bit pointless go me.

This looks great to me! I have just finished doing mine up, and I actually included a few marketing questions (ie, how did you hear about us, what is your preferred contact method sms/email/phone) - so I definately don't think yours is too long (or if it is I'm in trouble).

Since the form seems great, I would just make sure the customer understands why they are completing the form before they have a chance to whinge. Or maybe I'm being to harsh, as we do ask some personal information of them, and they do have the right to wonder why as it may not be obvious to people outside of the industry. My speel before completing the form will be

"Before we get started with your BLAH, I'd like to have a quick chat about your previous BLAH experiences and ask you some health related questions, just to ensure that we are able to perform your treatment comfortabley/successfully for you today. The form will take one to two minutes and I will need to ask you about your medical history. Any information you share with me will remain between ourselves. Let's get started. " Lauch into form

This may seem a little OTT or formal, but you could put your own spin on something similar. I think its important the client know why we need the information and what we plan to do with it.

I know alot of people use the full form as the initial consultation but have an edited form for followup appointments which only requires acknowledging that there have been no changes since last completed. You may already do this - I think that is a great time saver.

Your right fozzy, I may get rid of doctors information.

Thanks for your views guys.

And on the back I note every treatment they've had and get them to sign it to make sure everything is the same.

Your consultation form looks fine. I don't give people a chance to moan any more. I hand them the form and before they have chance to say anything I tell them ' I need to get you to fill in this form. It's just for insurance purposes and without it we can't do your treatment' if you explain that you don't pass on their details as well.
I had a really awkward lady once who refused to give me any details! If they don't like it then it's tough!

I was told in training to ask for doctors details incase something happens to a client during a treatment, it baffled me to but guess you need it :)

If anything happens that requires immediate medical treatment I think an Ambulance would be better. That and I don't think any doctor would welcome a call from a therapist with regards a patients health - patient confidentiality etc.

I work in a clinic with several therapists. One client said to me once, "Well the other lady didn't ask me all these questions last time I was here!". Erm .. I'm pretty sure your therapist did .. and if she didn't - she really should have done!

Right enough fozzyo. I think I will leave it out.

Yeah that's the kind of things the client say "so and so didn't ask me to fill it out". Annoying lol!

I think it's fine. I have loads on my self-designed consultation forms, though a lot of it is in regards to facials.

I ask new clients to come 15 minutes early in order to fill out a consultation card and the rest of the time, i go through it verbally with them to establish if there is any change.

I don't bother with Dr details either, but i do have a space for tint test so i can write down the date they had it done and get them to sign it as negative. (I've not had a positive reaction yet)

I say, if you could just take a seat for me. I'm going to give you this consultation card to fill out for me, so i can fully adjust the treatment to suit you and give you the best results. Can i get you something to drink while you're doing that?

I've never had a problem. However, i do know the hairdressers often ask for contact details after their appointment and some people don't want to because they say they're in a hurry.

(You could add to your pregnancy question, or breast feeding? Personal choice, but i've had some women come in having recently given birth looking incredible and i never would have known. Often they don't think about it being a problem either)

xx

I think it's fine honey. I have quite a lot on mine, and yes some clients do moan about filling them in. I just tell them that my insurance requires it and it's for safety reasons. I've not had anyone say they aren't filling it in yet but if they don't fill it in, they won't get a treatment!
Rhiannon x

Thanks Rhiannon I will say this :)

And flawless I was thinking of adding that but I thought it may have only been useful for a massage with aromatherapy oils.

I could add something in about the tint test although I usually record that on the back x

I think consultation forms are clearly vital, but tbh mainly to cover the therapist.
It's quite a leap of faith to go to a new therapist and let him/her keep written records of any health/medication issues. For that reason I'm quite sure a lot of details are omitted. I've certainly had experience of new clients becoming established clients, and gradually revealing details as they've grown in trust with me.
For that reason it's probably wise to proceed with a certain amount of caution with a new client.
By the way, I cannot think when a therapist would contact a GP. In an emergency I would dial 999.

hey geekies

i was under the impression doctors details were taken to give to ambulance or hospital staff to help the hospital confirm patient details that may be held at the hospital in case of emergency ie allergic to medicines, existing medical conditions and next of kin details. So therapist calls 999 in emergency and then gives the details to paramedics or hospital staff. Could be wrong but thats what i gathered anywho.

Back to initial question i think your form is fine hun mine contains the same. I just say its for insurance purposes.

Love n hugs x x x

Good point, Happyfeet! x

Hiya, i like to take doctors details, just incase i need to send a letter to the doctor asking their opinion on massage for example a client with heart disease. Just to back myself really! X

Thank you guys. I have left doctors details in there. I dont think there's anything I can leave out to be honest. It's all vital that I know.

Thank you lovely geeks x

I did see that you don't do massage or facials, but i mentioned breast feeding because i think most spray tanning companies recommend that you don't tan the breasts of a feeding mother because of the baby putting their mouth on it xx

I did see that you don't do massage or facials, but i mentioned breast feeding because i think most spray tanning companies recommend that you don't tan the breasts of a feeding mother because of the baby putting their mouth on it xx

Oh good point! I completely forgot about this. I will add it!

Latest posts

Back