Clients kids

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
:mad:Last week a client brought her 5yr old child with her for her rebalance appointment.
This pee'd me off tbh, as the kid is not well behaved, but is an angel in his mothers eyes - kwim:mad:

She brought him along with a computer game. He had no interest in it.
He wined at his mum he wanted to watch tv - I work from home. I ignored it and he kept on and on dragging at her arm. So she asked me if he could go into my lounge & watch tv - i had to stop my prep & go and put the tv on & find the programme he prefers:mad:
We sat down & he came in demanding he wanted a drink and winging away like a total brat. I expected his mum to produce a drink from her bag, but no - can you get a drink for him please:mad: I went into my kitchen followed by the kid, he demamnded to know what I had in my fridge! I said stuff and he told me to open the door so he could look! I did not. He then was given some blackcurrant juice (from my own kids stock:mad:)
We then carried on with the treatment & he came in saying he was hungry!!!!
I felt like telling him to shut up and leave us in peace so I could get on!
The mother then asks if I can give him some crisps or something!!!! When i gave him a packet, he said I don't like those, what else have you got:mad::mad::mad:.
Then he comes into the salon and tries to hang of his mum's arm & she tells him to stop, then he starts rubbing his hands in her hair, and will not do as he's told when asked to stop.

When she puts his shoes on (he took them off on this visit) he starts kicking her! Told to stop, he started punching her!:mad:

I could of kicked him from ass hole to breakfast time as my hubby would say!

All in all, this is the 4th time she had brought him, and it's always the same - one time, she even brought him with his friend - and they both started jumping around on my leather sofa's with their shoes on!!!!!!!!!
Only once has she ever brought him with a drink & food. He's 5 for gods sake - kids always need stuff at that age. I've 2 kids, so I should know. I never took them anywhere without adequate supplies of everything to get through the day.

The final act was, as she paid, she left me no tip or made any offer to reimburse me for supplying her son with various things like biccys, crisps, drinks, sausage rolls etc. And did not even have the decency to say thank you for giving him them!

Bev - what you need to decide is that if you ask this client not to bring her child with her to the appointments any more are you willing to lose this client? If you are then ring this client and inform her that you have had to make a policy of no children whilst they are having their treatments for health and safety reasons.

The client then has a choice, not to bring her child or not to come to you for enhancements.

I feel for you cos i have had this too....when they leave i could kick myself for being so soft. I know what i really want to say and do but cant.

I would find it easier with a brand new client as i wouldn't have built a relationship-ish with them...but when they come on there own and you get on so well and its all good, you feel horrid to then not be the same when they come with the kids.

Then i think, why am i being so bloody tolerant and understanding when they are not...they are not considering me and the fact that this is my home and i am trying to work.

I always say now when booking there next appointment...."lets try and book it for when your son is at school....bed....etc cos that way you can relax and i can get done."

You did well to keep your cool xx

oh dear...i really feel for you. i only started in august and my very first client on my first day in a salon brought her 21/2 year old daughter in with her. this was at 3pm. she needed a rebalance....and OMG she was running about the salon said then started wining.....and to top it off she was potty training her and she pooed in her knickers so half way through i had to stop she could clean her up.....i had to prep all over again as didnt want them going bad. i felt like never going back as it took me nearly 5 hours......needless to say she didnt come back after that, lol, i dont take that long now....just in case you were wondering.:green:
xx

Bev - what you need to decide is that if you ask this client not to bring her child with her to the appointments any more are you willing to lose this client? If you are then ring this client and inform her that you have had to make a policy of no children whilst they are having their treatments for health and safety reasons.

The client then has a choice, not to bring her child or not to come to you for enhancements.

i totally agree, do you really need such a stressful client

You do what my sister does - when her sis-in-law visited with her kids who jumped on her leather sofa with their shoes on and the mother did nothing, she said 'sweetheart, you'd better hop down off there because it's going to cost your mum an awful lot of money to get it fixed if it breaks.' Her sis-in-law got those kids off that sofa in 2 secs.
Just make a rule - no kids, no exceptions - from day one with all new clients.

:mad:Oh no thats terrible i really do feel for u hun lol. That would drive me crazyyyy...What i think the best thing would be to do which i would do is say to everyone, its best not to bring along children as it would distract me from my work and performing my treatment. Your the technician you set the rules hun :hug: xxxx

You're dead right, I can well do without his kind of stress and annoyance.
I cannot understand why some people think this is quite acceptable for their kids to behave in this manner. Mine would not dare to. Not that I'm strict, but I have rules and have taught them manners you know!

I've worded a notice to go up in my home salon....what do you think?? What else should I say, am I saying too much?

POLITE NOTICE
HEALTH & SAFETY IN THE WORKPLACE & CHILDREN
Nails at Home Policy
Under the guidelines of Health & Safety in the Workplace, I would like to point out that children are not allowed to accompany their parent/carer whilst that person undergoes treatment at this place.
Children are at risk from chemicals, wax heaters and other equipment and unsupervised whilst their parent/carer is having treatment.
This in turn, makes me unable to concentrate on providing the best service as my attention is drawn to unsupervised children in my salon/home (lounge).
Could you please book appointments at times when your child has alternative care facilities.
Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.

I cannot understand why some people think this is quite acceptable for their kids to behave in this manner. Mine would not dare to. Not that I'm strict, but I have rules and have taught them manners you know!

I've worded a notice to go up in my home salon....what do you think?? What else should I say, am I saying too much?

POLITE NOTICE

Nails at Home Policy

Under the guidelines of Health & Safety in the Workplace, I would like to point out that children are not allowed to accompany their parent/carer whilst that person undergoes treatment at this place.

Children are at risk from chemicals, wax heaters and other equipment and unsupervised whilst their parent/carer is having treatment.

This in turn, makes me unable to concentrate on providing the best service as my attention is drawn to unsupervised children in my salon/home (lounge).

Could you please book appointments at times when your child has alternative care facilities.

Sounds great Bev - how are you going to handle it with this client as I think you may need to approach this one verbally with her as she will probably think it wont apply to her.

Yes, you're right Theresa, I'm going to have to ring her I suppose. She's not the easiest of clients iykwim.
I may just chicken out & text her....being a softie & a coward!:lol: If I talk to her, I'll probably end up letting her off!!

POLITE NOTICE

Nails at Home Policy

Very well put!

Some people do really take the PI55. :mad:

Wording is excellent. Concise and clear.

Please get back to us when she replies!!

I truly feel for you Bev.:hug:

Working from home as well, people often assume that their children are welcome. Such is not the case. MY children, on the rare occasion that their father is unavailable, KNOW that if Momma's working, play nicely/watch the movie and leave well enough alone. They know that the front room is OFF LIMITS and don't test the waters. They're really rather good about it, except for the rare dispute, or the movie ends and they want another. Otherwise, pretty clear sailing.

I have had a few experiences similar to your own.

Hence why I now have the rule - absolutely no children whatsoever.

I think your notice is very polite. Although, I would cut it short.
By 'explaining', you leave yourself open to "my child is well behaved and won't touch a thing" argument:rolleyes:
I would just make it very simple. They're not allowed. PERIOD.

Like this:

POLITE NOTICE
Nails at Home Policy
Under the guidelines of Health & Safety in the Workplace, children are not allowed to accompany their parent/carer whilst that person undergoes treatment at this place.

good luck and stick to your guns. Don't let them 'guilt' you. Plain and simple: you do NOT offer childcare services. Heck, if you've a teen nearby, tell your client if she's difficult "if you're unable to find suitable childcare services during your appointment, I can make arrangements for you, but an additional fee will apply to cover those services"
OR
Even tack it to the end of the notice, making clear how very serious you are. Like
"For an additional fee, child-care services can be made available to you. Note, this only available on such/such day." (and line up a friend, or grandmum or whatever.. local teen.. and have all the moms that day?)
You'll be less insane that way.
:hug:

hi hun...i read your thread like this :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...i would do what victoria says and have NO children hun...that way everyone knows where they stand.....if the client phones for opp just tell her im not being rude but i have a new policy now as its safer for everyone ...i feared a child could get hurt while i am doing enhancments on there mums xx

I have had this at peoples houses and its crap when your trying to get a smile line done and arms are being nudged, tugged.

I have had headaches and anxiety about clients and kids - I have to multi-task by keeping an eye on the kid and an eye on my work - while the client just wants to relax...its a piss take.

You did so well being tolerant - she cant hassle you for that - you have put up with enough.

I really like your notice too.

Hi,i think i would say to this client...a little white lye mind you...that one of your other clients kids had an accident whilst you were doing their nails ,i dont know may be say the table got jolted by the child n just exagerate and say the monomer spilt over, and burnt their skin or summick along these lines and then they may think twice about putting their child at risk,then she wont feel affended at all and make it sound like your really concerned for her kids safety you dont want to see it happen again..but really you just wanna see the back of the brat.lol.:lol:

Thanks for your feedback all of you - much appreciated:hug:

Victoria - I like the idea of keeping it short tbh, I just wonder if it may beg a few questions as to why I've decided to do this.
Therefore explaining a little I thought might of helped - but you are also right there to that it can lead to 'oh, my kids an absolute darling' :irked:

What notices have other got in place in the salon/work place or do you just tell clients on day one?

Hope you get this sorted Bev, I know from a mobile point of view it can be a nightmare, especially when the kids are in their own home as you just can't tell 'em to go away!

I've had babies screaming for their mothers in the middle of bikini waxes and kids trying to 'help' when I'm trying to shape an eyebrow. I even had a cat assist with a pedicure once, no joke it was sitting on her legs with its fluff in the polish.

At least in a salon you can have a 'policy' in place. You go for it, you don't need the stress! x

Therefore explaining a little I thought might of helped - but you are also right there to that it can lead to 'oh, my kids an absolute darling' :irked:

What notices have other got in place in the salon/work place or do you just tell clients on day one?

Actually, the part about "under the guidelines.. blah blah" explains it just fine. If you explain further, you look defensive, and it might leave 'loopholes' that somehow people always find.

My notice simply reads:

Due to health and safety, children are not permitted in attendance during services (including my own), here or while mobile. Nor are childcare services offered.
Thank you for your understanding.

Ever since it was posted, I don't get any more questions.
Hang in there hun. There will always be one or two that bugs. The problem is, if you say yes to one.... And of course, some kids ARE angels. And some... well.. you know the rest of that statement.

It's simply easier and less headaches to make it a rule right across the board. And those that push, you can simply answer "while your child might be very well behaved, some aren't, and I can't let one child stay and not another. It's simply not wise either. Accidents happen for which I do not want to be held responsible. This way, it's best for everyone concerned"
How can they argue it?

They find childcare arrangements while at the gyno's, or for other outings. No reason why they can't when they get their nails done. Whether at home or in their own home.

Hang tough hun
:hug:

Blimey Bev! What a nightmare! Why is it more and more Parent's seem unable to control their children?
I like your policy notice and at the end of the day remember who's house/place it is!
Good luck!!!

Latest posts

Back