Clinique Toner As A Surface Cleaner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty14

Reaction score
Well geeks, basically I was doing manicure and pedicure course recently at the college i'm learning at and there was a lady there who was claiming to have a degree in Make Up which I was initially very impressed by. She started off listing companies who she's worked for, naming all these amazing jobs she's had, and I was very impressed! Until...she started bad mouthing Clinique! She said their products are utter rubbish and that the girls who worked on the Clinique counters remove tough stains with the toner! I was like 'What?!' I feel inclined not to believe anything she's said now as i LOVE Clinique, my mother does, my MIL, who has very sensitive skin, swears by it for her skin and surely it would be ridiculously expensive to clean down surfaces with toner! And my mother in laws skin would probably have disintegrated by now if that was the case!
Your thoughts please.

Is this lady full of inside knowledge or as one might say 'full of it!'.
:)

I guess it a personal opinion as is everybodies view point although i have to i dnt like clinique products either dont like the way they sit on the skin but then again its just somepeoples skin is affected differently i dnt like it but my sis loves it just different opinions x

I'm going to say this lady was really unprofessional to slag off other companies! She probably got the sack from Clinique or something and is bitter about it, she has actually let herself down by bad mouthing anyone as you picked up on it and started to wonder about her credibility.
If the products work for you and your family keep on using and enjoying them!

lol pretty expensive surface cleaner i wouldnt fancy cleaning my whole house with it - you should have told her Tescos sells surface cleaner for £1 :biggrin:

As much ad I think she shouldn't of bad mouth another company, I have heard similar stories and every bt I know are not fans of it. I am just a student but our tutor has said it's not great and the wrong pH for your skin and their toner is too harsh. Also heard the toner is great for removing nail polish out off carpets with ruining them, although I have never tried.

I think of your happy with Clinique then don't worry about it.

Its an expensive thing to use to clean your counter but it could well be true clarifying lotion reminds me of surgical spirit :biggrin:

I worked in a place once where they used the clarifying lotion 4 (the strongest one) to clean brushes after doing make-up xD

I love Clinique personally. I don't use the whole regime but keep coming back to the DDMLgel. I've found something strange though, since I came back to the UK I've had several people (all therapists!) tell me that they HATE Clinique. When I asked them why they couldnt say just repeating that they hate it lol. I thought this was really odd and wouldn't like to be a client with someone telling me "Oh I hate that brand don't use that!"

Hate is such a strong word can't we all be friends :hug: lol. Sorry for going off on a tangent!

Anyone who feels the need to brag about where/who theyve worked with in an unsolicited manner is obviously insecure.

Personally Clinique doesnt work with my skin. But I know many people with whom it does. If their astringent has alcohol in it, then I can see why they would use it on the counters.

I have a friend you used to work on a Clinique counter and she has told me the same thing, so I can only assume this lady is telling the truth. I have heard from several sources that their products are quite harsh, although I have never used them myself so can't comment from personal opinion.

Yeah.... its true!!!

Theres stupidly high levels of alcohol in the toners which make great for removing things as stated.

We tested the pH of some of their products at college! I'll say no more!!!

I think with alot of people its a case of love it or hate it, alot of people loving it go on the fact its a 'prestigous' name, but for the money, its not particularly cutting edge formulations.

I cant ever imagine using any product with alcohol on my face again after becoming an esthetician and knowing what i know.

alcohol in my mouth, on the other hand... :) haha

I've heard all the same stories too...many many years ago so that one still must be doing the rounds. I find Clinique too astringent because of the Alcohol levels. Dermalogica all the way

i'm an environ girl for life. nothing else touches this skin :)

Omg! Shocked! I'm sat here looking at my Clarifying Lotion like it's a rabid dog! Lol. And I feel a bit guilty as I've been using Clinique for so long that I doubted her straight away. Weirdly enough though, I don't think I'll stop using Clinique as my skin is really good with it. Unless I try another good brand and I change my mind. Before Clinique the only other brand I used was Clean and Clear so I suppose it's a step up from that! :)

Professionals do not recommend it as its still an over the counter product no matter how high the cost and the claims.If you look at the ingredients the products contain lots of alcohol,colours,mineral oils,parabens and lots of other things with long names.

If you look at the ingredients of a good professional product you will normally see essential oils and other plant extracts,vegetable oils and not so many unreadable chemical names.They add to the skin and nourish and balance rather than strip and disrupt the skin.

Of course some people love it and thats great, it works for them but then some people still wash their faces with soap or baby wipes and that works for them.Thats skin, its all different.

Omg! Shocked! I'm sat here looking at my Clarifying Lotion like it's a rabid dog! Lol. And I feel a bit guilty as I've been using Clinique for so long that I doubted her straight away. Weirdly enough though, I don't think I'll stop using Clinique as my skin is really good with it. Unless I try another good brand and I change my mind. Before Clinique the only other brand I used was Clean and Clear so I suppose it's a step up from that! :)

For what you pay for clinique try a professional brand you might be surprised.You look young so you could probably be looking at something to prevent anti aging for the future.You just never know and if you dont like what you try then go back to Clinique.

I agree with all the points everyones made but just wanted to add my opinion.
I, I'm embarrassed to say, have 'bad mouthed' Clinique for a long time now.
It came from the experience I gained working in a prestige day spa nearly 15 years ago. Clients would come in for facials and say how dry and dehydrated their skin was and before asking what they used, you knew the answer.
I'm still of the opinion that how can you buy a product from a counter when you're out shopping with a full face of make up that can alter the appearance of your skin (shine minimiser/moisturising)! You need a double cleanse and full analysis to truly understand your skins needs.
Sorry all I'll stop there - I could go on for hours lol

i agree to, ladies come in with terribly dehrydrated skin, and i know what the answer will be when i ask them about their routine at home, i find the soap quite harsh also, i dont think you have to sit and slag it off, but you are just giving your advice as a professional. it does annoy me though we you say that it may not be the best for them, then they agree and say "well my husband has bought me a big bottle, so i will just use it up..."what else can you say... !

I used to use Clinique for years until i found this out aswell. my friend used to work on the counter and since then ive switched to eve taylor. Clinique got rid of all my spots and oily areas but i didnt realise it made my skin dry and striped the skin of its natural oil. Glad i found this out when i did.

x

I have personally witnessed the girls on the clinique counter in selfisges using they're toner to clean the surfaces!
I would NEVER recommend clinque to anyone due to the harsh ingredients!!!

During my years working in the beauty industry the therapists who brag the loudest about their qulifications and experience have the least confidence about they're treatments!

Latest posts

Back