Clinique

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_Nightshade

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys have to say about the Clinque range.
Is it recommended, is it any good or is there another range that you would recommend that a non professional (ie me) could get hold of.

I think you were better posting in the 'Consumer Queries' as Clinique is not a professional brand and you are not going to get many replies.
x

I think you were better posting in the 'Consumer Queries' as Clinique is not a professional brand and you are not going to get many replies.
x

Yikes.. sowwy. new to site, bit lost. lol.
Thanks for the pointer.

It is a terrible brand. ALL beauty therapists I know hate the stuff. It is full of really harsh chemicals that aggravate your skin. I know what is in it and without sla***** it off too much, there something in it that goes into your car!!!
xxx

Hi,

About a year ago i changed from body shop products to clinique (for no real reason just wanted to be using a more 'up market' brand) after a few weeks i broke out in spots and when using the clarifying lotion my skin would burn, so i changed to their sensitive skin products....i kept on and on and on using it thinking i just needed to get used to it, but my face was itchy so i stopped.

It was either spotty and red or very dry & flaky and itchy. I am now on medication from the doctors to sort out my skin & i've moved back to body shop products and will never change again.

I always used to have clear skin with the odd spot now and then (eg time of month) but my skin became awful and even though i stopped using their products back in january its only in about the last 2 months that my skin is starting to return to normal.

i also use organic moisturisers that are chemical free from www.rawgaia.com and they seem very good and i been using them for 2 months now and have had no problems so far.

I read somewhere on the skin geek forum that clinique contains alcohol and should not be used on the skin - i am not a skin geek so not sure if this is true.

I don't mean to put you off clinique products - but would just hate for someone to have to go through what i have. If you do decide to use their products i hope you have more luck than i did. :hug:

wouldn't touch the stuff and woudn't advise any of my patients to use it either!

It is a terrible brand. ALL beauty therapists I know hate the stuff. It is full of really harsh chemicals that aggravate your skin. I know what is in it and without sla***** it off too much, there something in it that goes into your car!!!
xxx

Now, now, Kylie - water goes in your car too! ;)

I'm not Clinique's biggest fan though.

Lauz, do you use body shop on your clients as well then?? I love the body shop and use it on myself and as im just starting out iv been searching the net for all these expensive products!! Just a bit worried people might think im cheap if i use products they can just go get themselves????
xxx

Lauz, do you use body shop on your clients as well then?? I love the body shop and use it on myself and as im just starting out iv been searching the net for all these expensive products!! Just a bit worried people might think im cheap if i use products they can just go get themselves????
xxx

Hi Becks,

As i said somewhere in my previous post i'm not a skin geek - i only do nails.

I use body shop products on myself only and the experience i had with Clinique was my own personal experience just wanted to let lady shade know about as i wouldn't want her to go through what i did.:hug:

Now, now, Kylie - water goes in your car too! ;)

I'm not Clinique's biggest fan though.

Hee hee :lol: This is very true, although I didn't think of that. But it's definitely not water xxx

I can't stand clinique, somehow though they manage to suck people in to their innovative products! The amount of people that use it amazes me. Its only when I start to explain to clients and they realise that yes that is why you are red and yes why you are breaking out hives and god knows what else that they understand why it is important to stop and get advice from a trained therapist!

I just wish I could get the same amount of clients that they do but do a better job of looking after their skin!

:)

I can't stand clinique, somehow though they manage to suck people in to their innovative products! The amount of people that use it amazes me. Its only when I start to explain to clients and they realise that yes that is why you are red and yes why you are breaking out hives and god knows what else that they understand why it is important to stop and get advice from a trained therapist!

I just wish I could get the same amount of clients that they do but do a better job of looking after their skin!

:)

Agreed hun! I tell my clients to bring their products to me and we then go through the ingredients and toxic chemicals that are in there. They can never believe it and are usually in complete shock. I have even had clients throw the products in my salon bin! :lol: xxx

xxx

In my opinion as a therapist I think you should be using professional products in your salon, not high street ones.
As a consumer if I went to a salon and found my therapist using Body Shop I'd be out the door in a flash!

Why would I pay for a facial using products I can buy from eBay/high street etc, and as a therapist you're doing yourself no favours. Firstly it projects completely the wrong image, and secondly, you're stuffed when it comes to retail.

hi, sorry just had to add to this.when i worked in a department store,(that sold clinique) we used the clarifying lotion to clean our counters!!!One of girls told us not to use it on our tester stand as it melts plastic!!!scarey!!!x

Oh my :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Ive kinda been using Clinique since the end of March but Ive felt its not really doing what I was told it would do.

When I started using it it really dried my skin a lot but I do have very oily skin (and apparently sensitive though I feel from what Ive read so has every other Clinique user) so it wasnt a huge huge issue to me at that point BUT my skin seems oilier than ever now, which I guess if Im stripping it of everything its gonna go into overdrive and I do seem to be getting pinker and my occasional break outs arn't so occasional anymore.

Thing is Ive forked out a lot for this so I was really hoping it wasnt the stuff I was using but I think it is. :cry:

I would like to go and have a facial done and get something that would really work, Im just not made of money :rolleyes:

I think Im not going to buy anymore Clinique now.

All I want is a range that will help my skin a bit, I dont eat or drink rubbish and I cleanse morning and night so to have oily skin that has break outs at my age is a bit, well mortifying tbh. Just all the advice out there seems so confusing, use this don't use that do this dont do that.. lol my brain is spinning. :irked:

Thank you for your replies Im gonna look into other ranges, if anyone has a recommendation then please share with little noobish me?? :green:

Hi lady nighshade

Oily skin needs to be treated with as much love as dry or sensitive. It is a misconception that the stronger the product the better it is for oily skin - what happens is trying to remove oil panics the skin and it will produce more to conteract what has happened.

You are quite right go and speak to a professional at a salon, you don't necessarily have to use all the range of a product, start of with something simple to start, say a wash or toner. I can recommend Avene Thermal water as a toner - I use it and recommend it to my clients even though I use Eve Taylor and organic products. Believe I have tried everything just because I am an old gal and been round the block a bit with products.

HTH :)

Ok thanks, is their any professional products that are similar to the vitamin c range of body shop then??
xx

Oily skin needs to be treated with as much love as dry or sensitive.

I agree wholeheartedly with this - for some reason many people with oily skin don't treat it but rather go to war with it, all guns blazing!

I find an oil based cleanser, and some gel cleansers, the best thing for cleansing as the excess oil cannot mix with a water based emulsion & therefore will not be removed - oil dissolves in oil; the alternative are those containing alcohol, but for obvious reasons they are not recommended.

I agree wholeheartedly with this - for some reason many people with oily skin don't treat it but rather go to war with it, all guns blazing!

I find an oil based cleanser, and some gel cleansers, the best thing for cleansing as the excess oil cannot mix with a water based emulsion & therefore will not be removed - oil dissolves in oil; the alternative are those containing alcohol, but for obvious reasons they are not recommended.

I try not to use alcohol based products on my skin although I get the feeling the clarifying lotion from Clinque has it in from the feel, which Im not happy about because i was told it would be good for my skin, Ive stopped using it now.
What are the 'ingrediants' I should be looking to avoid because tbh they dont mean much to me as a noob. Obviously alcohol anything else thats 'evil' ??

Latest posts

Back