Cloudy look to gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki-Marie

Reaction score
Ive recently swapped gel systems from IBD to NSI.

After i applied a set of nails - blended natural tips followed with brush on white.
My client rang only 3 days later to tell me her nails had turned cloudy, and just below the area i had blended, they appeared as though they were lifting.

Ive no idea what would have caused this as i prepped and dehydrated, followed all the steps, cure time, when to cleanse and not to cleanse etc. Ive been qualified in nails for almost 3 years. I wasnt happy with the IBD system and had several problems with them also, more so that the gel adhere too well.
Im starting to feel less confident. and recently noticed another one of my clients gel extensions were cloudy looking. Im not sure what i could be doing wrong?

Nicki x x

Ive recently swapped gel systems from IBD to NSI.

After i applied a set of nails - blended natural tips followed with brush on white.
My client rang only 3 days later to tell me her nails had turned cloudy, and just below the area i had blended, they appeared as though they were lifting.

Ive no idea what would have caused this as i prepped and dehydrated, followed all the steps, cure time, when to cleanse and not to cleanse etc. Ive been qualified in nails for almost 3 years. I wasnt happy with the IBD system and had several problems with them also, more so that the gel adhere too well.
Im starting to feel less confident. and recently noticed another one of my clients gel extensions were cloudy looking. Im not sure what i could be doing wrong?

Nicki x x
are you using a tip blender to help blend your tips ?

Have you seen these nails?

Could this be pocket lifting?

Is it possible that you could be applying the Gel too thickly?

The client mentioned first returned to me, in the end i removed them for her. it was really strange as all of the nails looked as though they were lifting from the centre under the tip, yet when i filled down there was no lifting, the area just looked discoloured!

It is quite difficult initially when switching from one brand to another....it could just be that you are working the product the same as your old product and you might just need a tweak. Have you done an NSI gel conversion, if not, it may help you iron out any problems and tweak you application as needed.

Could well be. No i havent done the conversion course, maybe thats something i should look into. Its fustrating me :cry:

what is pocket lifting? and would applying gel too thick cause this problem i am seeing?

Ive been having a play with nsi and on my hands i have all sorts of combinations at the mo and i reckon you have put it on too thick and it hasn't cured all the way through or you havent cured it for long enough.

Could well be. No i havent done the conversion course, maybe thats something i should look into. Its fustrating me :cry:

what is pocket lifting? and would applying gel too thick cause this problem i am seeing?

:eek: think you maybe need to do the course with nsi .. yes applying the product to thick would cause pocket lifting .. have you not covered this this in your training so far ???

NSI Balance gel is one of the best, I've tried quite a lot and this brand is my favourite . . . hope you get it sorted hun x

:eek: think you maybe need to do the course with nsi .. yes applying the product to thick would cause pocket lifting .. have you not covered this this in your training so far ???

I did an nvq in nail enhancements. I cover all aspects of beauty at the salon i am not doing nail enhancements day in day out like a fair few of you. Therefore im still over coming new obstacles that arise with extensions.

Definitely do the conversion course, it's important to know the differences between the gel products you were using and the one you're using now. Application techniques vary from gel to gel, by doing the conversion you will be taught how to use the gel correctly and this will allow you to achieve better results.

Did you use the NSI UV lamp with their gels? click here for an article about UV lamps.

Was it clear gel or the blush gel that you used??

Reson I ask is that I notice that the blush gel seems to take on a cloudy look after a while, not a few days though, usually after the first rebalance, the old gel under is not a clear as the new gel.

They have a new gel not called sheer pink which I am led to believe doesnt do this.

did you blend the tips properly...sounds like shadowing to me...if you say there was no lifting apparent when you filed them then tips not fully blended is all i can think off. x

Definitely do the conversion course, it's important to know the differences between the gel products you were using and the one you're using now. Application techniques vary from gel to gel, by doing the conversion you will be taught how to use the gel correctly and this will allow you to achieve better results.

Did you use the NSI UV lamp with their gels? click here for an article about UV lamps.

I use a 36-Watt UV, 220V, 4 bulb lamp which i brought from nsi.
Thankyou for the advise. Will book myself onto this course!

Was it clear gel or the blush gel that you used??

Reson I ask is that I notice that the blush gel seems to take on a cloudy look after a while, not a few days though, usually after the first rebalance, the old gel under is not a clear as the new gel.

They have a new gel not called sheer pink which I am led to believe doesnt do this.

It was the blush gel actually. it does appear crisper when the nails are french, but not so crisp when natural. thanks for the advice! i do have a pot of sheer pink.
ive come to the conclusion that im not making the error with blending the tips, im a perfectionist when it comes to these nails so everything is done with precison.
It could well be that i am applying my first layer of gel too thicky, although my application seems slightly thin to me, but maybe not thin enough. I'll try thinner.

thanks guys. i'll update you with my progress!

Latest posts

Back