CND UV lamps - solution may not agree with everyone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit about me.

Born in Chelsea, raised in Surrey,

Studied Law but didn't enjoy it. I wanted to go into the beauty industry.

Qualified since 1998 and now work for a leading nail company.

Married, one daughter, two dogs, and three horses, and living in Scotland but a regular commuter to London. Husband works for Natwest.

I do not always feel the need to explain myself but I am welcome to questions.

However, If I have to add this to my profile then I will do that now to keep the peace.

Surrey Girl through and through x

Lol out if interest?
Which nail company is it or can't you say?

My cure times are: 30 secs for base coat. 60-90 seconds for colour, darker always gets 90. 60 secs for top coat or 90 if it's over a very dark colour. Charlie only does 30 secs at a time and didn't want to count out my base coat every time.

Thanks Panoramic. It helps to know who's who.

It's good to have someone on this forum from one of the various nail companies. It's a shame there aren't more.

However, the most useful input is one that educates and answers queries. I don't think it helps that a representative from one Co slates another (and suggesting a 'conspiracy' doesn't help at all).

You clearly have differing views so what would be the most useful is if you can provide the scientific facts that aren't clouded with marketing stories.

I don't work for anyone (but don't use fresh air either) and am always more than interested in the facts behind the theories. I write textbooks and always need to know and understand the facts. Many more people in this industry need to understand the facts too as that is what will help them come to their own opinions and not be subject to any brainwashing.

I look forward to reading why you hold your opinions and will do so with an open mind while there are true facts.

Thanks Panoramic. It helps to know who's who.

It's good to have someone on this forum from one of the various nail companies. It's a shame there aren't more.

However, the most useful input is one that educates and answers queries. I don't think it helps that a representative from one Co slates another (and suggesting a 'conspiracy' doesn't help at all).

You clearly have differing views so what would be the most useful is if you can provide the scientific facts that aren't clouded with marketing stories.

I don't work for anyone (but don't use fresh air either) and am always more than interested in the facts behind the theories. I write textbooks and always need to know and understand the facts. Many more people in this industry need to understand the facts too as that is what will help them come to their own opinions and not be subject to any brainwashing.

I look forward to reading why you hold your opinions and will do so with an open mind while there are true facts.

I must say you are very understanding and I have occasionally seen your posts. You are a credit to this site. You don't come across as self righteous nor do you give harsh criticism. There should be more like yourself :)

I do get on my soapbox at times. I do this because there are many who struggle to build a business. I did get help from my father but others are not always so lucky.

Surrey Girl through and through x

Please can we stop any accusations and/or finger pointing, making all future posts constructive.

I am posting this in an effort to keep the thread open and on topic. If it continues to stray, I shall have little alternative but to close it.

Thank you.

Thanks Panoramic :p

Noodle, it's going Ok at the moment so maybe people will listen to you!! Hopefully it will keep going! It is obviously a subject that some find worrying. Maybe someone from CND will come on and allay some fears

On the basis that Gelish can be cured with standard UV lamp and LED lamp I would be surprised if shellac formula would need to change. Both lamps emit UV light which is what triggers the chemical reaction. I have cured Shellac with my LED light on myself with no problems (when I couldn't be bothered to get cnd lamp out).

On the basis that Gelish can be cured with standard UV lamp and LED lamp I would be surprised if shellac formula would need to change. Both lamps emit UV light which is what triggers the chemical reaction. I have cured Shellac with my LED light on myself with no problems (when I couldn't be bothered to get cnd lamp out).

I would be surprised if Shellac needed to change (nightmare for all) but the reason you've given isn't accurate. There is a range of wavelengths in the UV part of the spectrum and the LED version has a narrower range than UV phosphorescent tubes so the specific photoiitiator is relevant. My understanding is that they have been working on the right lamp rather than changing the formula, but what do I know.

You may not have had problems on you but you cannot guarantee that! There is no conspiracy and CND are not in the business of trying to sell lamps (specially not at the price they are!)

Hey geeks, just to throw this in here and correct me if I'm wrong BUT... Let's say I started using my NSI lamp to cure shellac and for whatever reason something happened and my client tried to sue me then am I not right in thinking that my insurance would be void as I had not followed the manufactures guidelines for the use of that product? Also would this be the case if you had your lamp fixed by an electrician?

Hey geeks, just to throw this in here and correct me if I'm wrong BUT... Let's say I started using my NSI lamp to cure shellac and for whatever reason something happened and my client tried to sue me then am I not right in thinking that my insurance would be void as I had not followed the manufactures guidelines for the use of that product? Also would this be the case if you had your lamp fixed by an electrician?

The point about having the lamp fixed and insurance is an interesting one as I was advised this morning by S2 to take my lamp to an electrician to try & have it fixed. I assume I would need to ring my insurance company to find out.

I think using a different lamp to cure Shellac is going against manufacturers instructions so insurance may be invalid. However, if you have been advised to have your lamp fixed by an electrician by the supplier then your insurance shouldn't be affected but perhaps you'd need proof of the advice?

Has anyone spoken to their insurers about this issue I wonder?

I hope you're all sending your electricians bills to CND for payment.

I hope you're all sending your electricians bills to CND for payment.

Do people really sue you over a set of Shellac nails, more to the point?

I suppose the answer is who knows! But who exactly would know it had been fixed? No Court of law would open a lamp and say 'someone has fixed this' ... and what could happen to someone nails really? Unless someone dies from it and an inquest is opened I think everyone will be ok.... but how you would die from a CND lamp would be nothing short of a miracle!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:

I suppose the answer is who knows! But who exactly would know it had been fixed? No Court of law would open a lamp and say 'someone has fixed this' ... and what could happen to someone nails really? Unless someone dies from it and an inquest is opened I think everyone will be ok.... but how you would die from a CND lamp would be nothing short of a miracle!

Oh this is brilliant. I'm going to write a new plot for a "Silent Witness" episode.

Another way to look at this.........................................

You have a Mercedes, it needs a new oil/air filter, you can buy one made by Mercedes, especially for the car, or you can pop down to the local Walmart, local autoshop, or discount store and buy one from there, which, may just about fit, save you a few pennies, but probably only work for a very short period of time, and probably very inefficiently.
The Mercedes one, although a little more costly, was built for the purpose, and, in the long run, will same time, money, efficiency, performance, and a whole load of stress.

Incidentally, I have the old Brisa lamp as a back up. (I have a Tassimo coffee maker too, and have a back up one of those as well!)............Ummm.

If you choose to use another lamp with cnd like I do, disclose, disclose, disclose. Explain the situation to your clients, make it short and sweet. Ask them point blank if they are OK with you using a different lamp. Also explain it if they have any issues out of the ordinary to let you know ASAP. Don't go into the horrible effects cnd has shoved down our throats since the dawn of time. Go into any unusual lifting, peeling or chipping. You asked for permission and they granted it. Just be straight forward, your clients will thank you for it. I never get any chipping or lifting.

Another way to look at this.........................................

You have a Mercedes, it needs a new oil/air filter, you can buy one made by Mercedes, especially for the car, or you can pop down to the local Walmart, local autoshop, or discount store and buy one from there, which, may just about fit, save you a few pennies, but probably only work for a very short period of time, and probably very inefficiently.
The Mercedes one, although a little more costly, was built for the purpose, and, in the long run, will same time, money, efficiency, performance, and a whole load of stress.

Incidentally, I have the old Brisa lamp as a back up. (I have a Tassimo coffee maker too, and have a back up one of those as well!)............Ummm.

I'm not sure I understand your analogy and how it compares to this issue. I'm assuming you mean CND is Mercedes in this instance.

So what happens when Mercedes has no oil/air filters for you to purchase? And doesn't know when they'll have more? And also tells you there is no alternative to their air/oil filters? Do you have a backup Mercedes automobile to drive in the meantime? Also, what happens when you do use the Mercedes oil/air filter that is built for the purpose, but it's the one not lasting very long. Many geeks have stated their lamps have only lasted 110 hours. Also many geeks have stated that their backup lamp has also broken. How many backups should they have?

Forgive me if I'm misreading your analogy.

Hmmm. I wonder what the price for the new lamp will be..

Hehe this reminds me of first insurance company I rang for a quote, he said about having public liability and injuring someone but it'd be cheaper for insurance purposes if I killed them as apposed to maiming them! Swiftly hung up gob smacked and vowed not to use them!!
Sorry completely thrown off subject. Back to the lamps if you will lol 😳

Latest posts

Back