Coloured l&p NNO

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mary1981

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if someone could help me out.
My sister in law wants a coloured overylay just on her natural nails with no extension. She is a hairdresser so just wants them nice and short.
I am using the NSI technail colours.
Should i sandwich it between clear L&P or should i just put the colour straight on and then a clear over the top? I have had problems in the past doing just a pink NNO too thin and it chipping on the free edge so want to avoid this and was sure i had read somewhere about sanwiching coloured acrylic, or was it gel???
Anyway i have confused myself now so hopefully someone can sort me out lol!!
thanks everyone xx

I always 'sandwich' the coloured acrylic if it will be on my nail plate, out of fear that it will stain.

Whether it would or not, im not 100% sure, but its never caused a problem.

That probably doesnt help much, but I look forward to hearing others answers.

A very thin layer of clear and then the coloured acrylic with another thin layer of clear over it.

The main things to remember when doing it this way are:

1. Thin layers of clear, slightly thicker layer of coloured acrylic
2. File the free edge properly so you don't see the layers and maintain the clear "cap" on the edge. The best way around this is to do the filing before putting on the final clear layer
3. Another good trick is to not bring the coloured acrylic all the way down the sidewalls, sort of like, when you polish someone with flat wide nailbeds. leave a very eeny teeny margin. Cover with the clear, obviously, but leave that margin free of colour. It will look better when you get growth coming off the nailplate onto the free edge.

Go for it! Let us know how it goes and a pic would be fab!

Nancy :)

Hi,

I have afew hairdressers as clients, and I do coloured gel overlays on them. I find it easier, and my clients prefer it better to l+p as it looks great and is always shiney.

Hi,

I have afew hairdressers as clients, and I do coloured gel overlays on them. I find it easier, and my clients prefer it better to l+p as it looks great and is always shiney.

There is no reason why any L&P shouldn't be permanently shiney, and they too look great.

Any L&P can be sealed with a layer of gel gloss for permanent shine. It is all down to preferance.

A very thin layer of clear and then the coloured acrylic with another thin layer of clear over it.

The main things to remember when doing it this way are:

1. Thin layers of clear, slightly thicker layer of coloured acrylic
2. File the free edge properly so you don't see the layers and maintain the clear "cap" on the edge. The best way around this is to do the filing before putting on the final clear layer
3. Another good trick is to not bring the coloured acrylic all the way down the sidewalls, sort of like, when you polish someone with flat wide nailbeds. leave a very eeny teeny margin. Cover with the clear, obviously, but leave that margin free of colour. It will look better when you get growth coming off the nailplate onto the free edge.

Go for it! Let us know how it goes and a pic would be fab!

Nancy :)

Hi, thanks for that great advice! i will definately be taking a pic when i do them! unless of course they look pants lol!:lol:

Latest posts

Back