competition lessons learnt!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liza smith

Reaction score
Hi guys

I wanted to post to let you all know that you never stop learning, no matter how much you have achieved so far.

This time last yr, I came home from Birminham comp with 2x 1st place trophies.
I came home from the Nailympics last May with the trophy for the top UK competitor in div 3.

Due to other commitments and the cancelation of olympia in Sept, I havent competed since.

I knew i needed the practise, so I decided to enter the Birmingham comp. I couldnt get my usual models, and the lovely Louise from here jumped to my rescue.

I didnt have high expectations about the comps, especially the tip & overlay as Louise's nails are too curved for tips, but the biggest shock i had was when I started doing my smile lines:eek:

My goodness, what had happened to my smile lines!

It occured to me at that point, that I hardly do any pink & whites in the salon nowadays.
If I do, I tend to custom blend anyway.
I placed 5th and to be fair, I didnt expect to get that. Maybe they werent that bad, but it shocked me how easy it is to "loose" a level of skill.

The sculpt comp is my comfort zone and when i'd done the 3rd smile line, I said to Louise, "now, thats a compitition smile line!"

I was much happier with that set, and I narrowly missed 3rd place.

I cant remember the last time I finished outside the top 3, but the point I want to make here is you must always keep an open mind to what you can acheive.

The hardest thing is not to win, but to accept not winning after you have.

I'll never forget the year when I managed to get 4x 2nd places:irked:

I could've jacked in right there and then.
However the following year, I won winner of winners and competitor of the year!

The saying goes "if you dont use it, you loose it!"

It goes without saying, Im putting in a considerable amout of practise in the next few weeks and im making sure all of my models are booked in!!

See all you compers at Olympia

xxx

I think you did great to say you had not done pink & whites for so long,
i agree my nails were not great for the tip and overlay but i was gob smacked when you didn't place for the sculpted set, they were stunning hun,
never mind i am sure you will do well at the London Olympia and be taking home a trophy or few :wink2: ,
i will be there so will come and say hi to you hun,
by the way they lasted well too, i only soaked them off today (gutted :cry:) and that was only because i am modeling for someone at London so want to get them back to normal for then,
look forward to seeing you again, keep well xoxox

awww sorry you had such a bad one!!!
but i tell you what......it is quite comforting to know that even the best have bad days...if you know what i mean, (dont be offended by that!!) because it means that i will think of that when i have a bad day now and say to myself that its not the end of the world and to keep going and striving to improve myself.
Thank you for that.

quote Liza !
[I'll never forget the year when I managed to get 4x 2nd places:irked:

Bloody hell Liza everyone on here would have been overjoyed at that result ! and in level 3 too! i know i would have been !!!! :lol:

Thats exactly the point i needed to make Kate!

I hear a lot of frustration at the awards about "only getting another 2nd or 3rd"
I have been in that position more times than i can mention, and i understand that frustration.

only fellow competitors can understand how much effort, time and money goes into each comp.

However, this post was intended to lift those of you who regularly compete, and have mixed results.

dig your heels in and cherish any result you get, especially when you place in the top 3.

liza x

I'm un-decided as to wether or not to enter the nailympics :confused: i havn't competed for a couple of years now and im up in the big boys class now too (i won at excell 2004 div 2) i might give it a go, im not expecting to win by any stretch of my imagination ! its the taking part and the experience that counts isnt it :hug:

Hi guys

I wanted to post to let you all know that you never stop learning, no matter how much you have achieved so far.

This time last yr, I came home from Birminham comp with 2x 1st place trophies.
I came home from the Nailympics last May with the trophy for the top UK competitor in div 3.

Due to other commitments and the cancelation of olympia in Sept, I havent competed since.

I knew i needed the practise, so I decided to enter the Birmingham comp. I couldnt get my usual models, and the lovely Louise from here jumped to my rescue.

I didnt have high expectations about the comps, especially the tip & overlay as Louise's nails are too curved for tips, but the biggest shock i had was when I started doing my smile lines:eek:

My goodness, what had happened to my smile lines!

It occured to me at that point, that I hardly do any pink & whites in the salon nowadays.
If I do, I tend to custom blend anyway.
I placed 5th and to be fair, I didnt expect to get that. Maybe they werent that bad, but it shocked me how easy it is to "loose" a level of skill.

The sculpt comp is my comfort zone and when i'd done the 3rd smile line, I said to Louise, "now, thats a compitition smile line!"

I was much happier with that set, and I narrowly missed 3rd place.

I cant remember the last time I finished outside the top 3, but the point I want to make here is you must always keep an open mind to what you can acheive.

The hardest thing is not to win, but to accept not winning after you have.

I'll never forget the year when I managed to get 4x 2nd places:irked:

However the following year, I won winner of winners and competitor of the year!

The saying goes "if you dont use it, you loose it!"

It goes without saying, Im putting in a considerable amout of practise in the next few weeks and im making sure all of my models are booked in!!

See all you compers at Olympia

xxx

Great post Leez. It is so true, no matter how good you are you still have to practise; practise makes perfect so go Liza... go Liza! :hug:

Liza - You are a no. 1 inspiration to me.

I have watched you over the years wipe the board and take all the trophies going on more than one occasion and year after year but I have also watched you when results haven't gone your way and you are one of the few that takes it on the chin and keeps going.

I have not done well in recent comps for various reasons and have felt really demoralised but I can't wait until I do myself proud in future comps and it gives me more determination to try all the harder.

I have felt like despairing quite often but no matter how I place, I ALWAYS learn so much from my preparation for the comps and the comps themselves.

I look forward to watching you do your stuff at Excel xxx:hug:

It took me 4 years to get my win!!!!

i think its really important to understand a competition and know who you are up against..standards in comps are always rising and it is hard to stay on top!!!!

i can sympatise with lisa as when you have won in something before and then you compete in exactly the same comp a few months later and come 2nd or 3rd you will feel abit disheartened as nobody likes to place lower than have previously come.....but its just the way it goes its not until you look back a couple of days later like i did after birmingham and think ' hang on a minute i placed in the top 4 in all 5 comps i entered...now that is another achievment'..

competitions are serious but don't go stressing yourself too much as you just fall to pieces it is all an experience in your career, take it and learn from it to make you better :green:

:hug:

i think its really important to understand a competition and know who you are up against..standards in comps are always rising and it is hard to stay on top!!!!

i can sympatise with lisa as when you have won in something before and then you compete in exactly the same comp a few months later and come 2nd or 3rd you will feel abit disheartened as nobody likes to place lower than have previously come.....but its just the way it goes its not until you look back a couple of days later like i did after birmingham and think ' hang on a minute i placed in the top 4 in all 5 comps i entered...now that is another achievment'..

competitions are serious but don't go stressing yourself too much as you just fall to pieces it is all an experience in your career, take it and learn from it to make you better :green:

:hug:
So true hun. You should be very proud of achieving so much in so many comps over just two days. I wanted to wait outside and mug you for a bit of crystal lol!

You are also the coolest dude I have came across in comps. You never stoped chattering. I am surprised you managed to do any nails at all far less such amazing ones! WELL DONE!:hug:

i think because i chat so much in the salon i do the same in comps, so i you have to sit next to me in a competition...you'll have to tell me to shut up pmsl :lol:

Liza is sooo right..... it takes a hell of a lot of practice to get that winning place and to keep going takes sooo much effort....
....for me personally ive had my little turn...........i just havent got the time and money....( do you know how much it can cost to compete!??!!!) atm.... i havent done a comp im.... omg .....2 yrs.... and the last comp i felt crap after... i didnt want to pick up my brush or resin in the comp arena for a v long time.... i know my comp nails need work and i need the time to dedicate to it...... one day i may compete again.... one day..............lololol

Jess
xox

oooh i still dont know whether to go for olympia or not :confused:

Latest posts

Back