Complaints about smell from salon.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne7174

Reaction score
I have recently taken on a small beauty room at the back of a hairdressers in my local town centre, I have been happily working away doing nails manis and pedis and waxing. I use NSI Products (Acryllics) Above the salon is an Estate Agents and this week they have come down and asked me to get some kind of extraction system installed as the are getting high on the smell from me ! Now I have a window in the salon that I have open when I work and I put all my rubbish into a bin with a lid and my desk has a fan on it, I really dont know what to do as I cant afford lots of money on an extraction unit and I feel that I dont really warrant one either, and I think even if i did invest in an extraction unit they would still moan as they will still smell something ? I dont leave the salon "high" and I sit right in it. Im at my wits end and considering quitting the shop as its really got me down. Ive ordered a fumigtor from NSI to see if that helps but apart form that is there any advice anyone on here can give me to deal with this very awkward situation ? Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved
Joanne x

I can't advise you on extraction, however, I think having a fan on whilst working is only going to blow the vapours around, making the problem worse. Hth.

Okay, they can't get high from the "fumes" of a nail salon--they are being dramatic. (lame) A window fan that is placed in backwards will suck the air from your room to the outside. I also use an "effusion lamp", the absolute best is the "Lamp Berger" search it on the net, but beware of imitators--none of them have the correct wick that was invented and patented by Dr. Berger over 100 yrs. ago. Use this for 1/2 hour to an hour first thing in the am or at the end of the day by the front of your salon and it will actually clean the air and last for a couple of days. I started using it in my house because of my son's asthma and allergies 15 yrs ago and it did wonders, so when I opened my shop, I of course put one in there and my clients love it.

I agree with C-C they are being pathetic. I work from home and don't have anything but an open window. My family don't get high, if they did my husband would be out selling seats! Seriously though I just can't imagine how the fumes would carry that far. Sensitive little things! ;)

Is it men that are complaining or women, I usually find men are slightly more sensitive that us women!

why cant they keep their window shut?

Its men and a lady complaining and apparently the fumes are going through my ceiling and into their offices through their floors, The fan on my desk is to remove filing dust so its not a normal fan its built in to my desk so I dont think thats making the smell waft further, Its making for a very uncomfortable atmosphere as the guy I rent the room from doesnt want to upset the estate agents !

I will admit that I cannot bear the smell of acrylic, so we dont do them in my salon. I would think you would have to fit an extractor to make this whole problem go away.

I would start out by trying the window fan and the Lampe Berger, you can check them out on this site: lampebergershop.com
I know that the price might seem a little spendy, but they are worth it.

Hi

Ashleigh and Burwood also sell these fragrance lamps - i have one in my beauty room, they are fab! Also good for reducing dust in the air and smell georgous!

Thanks for your suggestions I will look into the lamps, so how do these work are the just like a strong scented candle that overpowers the other smell ? sorry to sound totally dumb ! I really dont want to fit expensive extractors because I have a feeling they will still moan and I will be terribly out of pocket, because I will end up moving out and leaving all this lovely salon allready prepared for the next person, I have spent close to £500 putting a sink and hot water into the room already as the previous beatician just used to boil a kettle ! Thanks again for your comments Joanne x

Latest posts

Back