Computer geeks please help I've lost files!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
I turned my laptop on yesterday and my logon has totally reset itself.
I've lost all my word/excel files and photos, I've tried a system restore but that hasnt worked.
The funny thing is my hubbies is fine and he hasnt lost anything, problem is all the important files were in my login!!:cry:

If anyone knows anything I can try to retrieve my files I'd be really grateful.

Thanks geeks
Ria x

Are you with AOL? This happened to me but they all came back. There is a problem with AOL sometimes when more than one person logs in.

If you have done a system restore hun they are lost for good. had you not done a system restore the chance were you would have been able to retrieve them.

If you go in on a user with admin privilages (must be admin) that user will be able to see any files on the laptop so if they are there, you will see them.

Let me know if u want anymore help, hubby is a dab hand with computers.

HTH

Rachel

can you re-boot your comp back to a previous date? That may help to retrieve the files.

can you re-boot your comp back to a previous date? That may help to retrieve the files.

that is a system restore ... i think...xxx

My laptop did that to me once too.. I am not with AOL.. perhaps its a laptop/brand thing...
I didnt do a restore and thankfully my dad retrieved my files.. but I think you may have to kiss the files bub bye.. bugger!

This tends to only work with software issues on the puter, files are different. I would deff check the admin privilages first, if that fails you can reset it to backup before yesterday from the boot menu to see if that works.

Rachel

you could always ask seanny - he is fab with pc's, and he is very helpful

Thanks guys, I think I have to face it they're gone for good.
It's taught me a valuable lesson to back things up.:rolleyes:

Oh my gawd I've got them all back, I did another restore but took it back to year 2000 by mistake and everything is back - spooky!:lol:

I'm off to back everything up.

Thanks geeks x

May i recommend getting a netgear sc101 with a ide hard drive (it looks a little like a toaster). You can set this up so it mirrors your hard drive. I have not had to use it yet (I say this while hugging a small tree) but it is nice to know it is backed up.
jo

Latest posts

Back