Contaminated acrylic brush?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jee-nails

Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't been doing acrylic enhancements for a few months but decided to practice on my nail trainer the other day. When I was finished and was cleaning my brush in clean monomer I noticed that when I wiped my brush it left a yellow mark on the pad,coming from the furrule. I have used this brush since to put acrylics on myself and ive had no problems with lifting or anything else. My question is this.. can I still use this brush on clients or do I need to buy a new one? Is it contaminated and is there any way to clean it. Its hardly been used, I always keep in in its box, and I really dont want the expense of buying a new one.

Thanks in advance.

It might leave a yellowing colour on the enhancements if u use it due to the glue in the ferrule breaking down so you need a new one, but im not the best so im sure someone with more knowledge will answer better

hi hun
I've had that problem with my brush and I have bought a new one and kept the other until I could find out what was wrong with it.

if i were you id bin it, and get a new one , as you dont want to risk the implications on your clients, its worth it in the long run xx

try rinsing and cleaning, rinsing and cleaning, rinsing and cleaning in monomer quite a few times. Brushes shouldnt contaminate so easily and should last a busy technician quite some time. Even cheaper brushes are still designed for this industry. Maybe it's your monomer thats contaminated (or perhaps your powder, as often powders dont have UV inhibitors, only the liquids) Keep your main supply of powder and liquid in a cupboard out of the light.

Right here is the scoop .....................

A busy technician will seldom contaminate the brush, because the brush never goes DRY.

When you do not use your brush and the monomer dries in the brush you will ALWAYS get this problem.

If the contamination is only at the ferrule and you make sure you do not touch the bead with this part of the brush, you may be able to continue to use it for much longer. If you see the white powder looking at all yellow in colour when you have sculpted your zone 1, then get a new brush and save the old one to use for something else.

The yellow is not due to the adhesive in the brush breaking down (although it can happen), it is due to the old monomer residue that has dried. Some brushes like Creative brushes, are hand tied and use no glue or adhesive in the ferrule and they can still contaminate if allowed to go dry.

Moral of the story is .. keep using that brush. Busy technicians do not have this problem.

Geeg:

What if it's only happening in Zone 3? Tried my first set of sculpts on myself last week and noticed it after a couple of days just around my cuticle/zone 3 area:sad: Thought then maybe it was because my monomer might be contaminated so a couple days later I e-filed the yellowing area and filled w/brand new Retention but then noticed yesterday doing the same thing?:suprised:

Geeg:

What if it's only happening in Zone 3? Tried my first set of sculpts on myself last week and noticed it after a couple of days just around my cuticle/zone 3 area:sad: Thought then maybe it was because my monomer might be contaminated so a couple days later I e-filed the yellowing area and filled w/brand new Retention but then noticed yesterday doing the same thing?:suprised:

are you using a primer??
as if you get primer accidentally onto the cured product, this can turn it yellow, try to keep the primer on the natural nail only ( if you are using t)
hth x

Right here is the scoop .....................

A busy technician will seldom contaminate the brush, because the brush never goes DRY.

When you do not use your brush and the monomer dries in the brush you will ALWAYS get this problem.

If the contamination is only at the ferrule and you make sure you do not touch the bead with this part of the brush, you may be able to continue to use it for much longer. If you see the white powder looking at all yellow in colour when you have sculpted your zone 1, then get a new brush and save the old one to use for something else.

The yellow is not due to the adhesive in the brush breaking down (although it can happen), it is due to the old monomer residue that has dried. Some brushes like Creative brushes, are hand tied and use no glue or adhesive in the ferrule and they can still contaminate if allowed to go dry.

Moral of the story is .. keep using that brush. Busy technicians do not have this problem.
Thanks for that Geeg some interesting facts there .......... had this happen to me too when I bought a new head for my brush, however once all of the gum had been worked out of it and I'd played around with it a few times the problem went away.:o

* Yes, I Always use primer:) I use the No-Lift but I've Finally got time to take this "old set" off and will put a fresh set on paying Very close attention to placement etc. of primer:confused: Since I'll be using a new bottle of Retention and CND powders (AND cleaned my brush really good in monomer) hopefully there'll be No yellowing:rolleyes:

Hi all,

I haven't been doing acrylic enhancements for a few months but decided to practice on my nail trainer the other day. When I was finished and was cleaning my brush in clean monomer I noticed that when I wiped my brush it left a yellow mark on the pad,coming from the furrule. I have used this brush since to put acrylics on myself and ive had no problems with lifting or anything else. My question is this.. can I still use this brush on clients or do I need to buy a new one? Is it contaminated and is there any way to clean it. Its hardly been used, I always keep in in its box, and I really dont want the expense of buying a new one.

Thanks in advance.
ive also had this problem before
a geek gave me some advice a while ago she told me to leave my brush in monomer over night this did get rid of most of the yellowing but mine by then was quite bad so in the end i just bought a new one.
good luck

* Yes, I Always use primer:) I use the No-Lift but I've Finally got time to take this "old set" off and will put a fresh set on paying Very close attention to placement etc. of primer:confused: Since I'll be using a new bottle of Retention and CND powders (AND cleaned my brush really good in monomer) hopefully there'll be No yellowing:rolleyes:

Why are you using any primer at all with Retention+?? THAT is problem number 1.

2nd problem is you are using a very strong acid primer that does not belong to the Creative system!! Retention+ is a primerless system.

3rd problem is that you are getting the primer you should not be using on the product which will turn yellow every time. The primer ,that you shouldn't be using in the first place, if used correctly within its own system, should only ever be used sparingly and ONLY on the natural nail and never on old product.

Lastly. a new monomer requires a new brush specifically to use with the new monomer or you can have problems there too with chemical contamination.

Maybe a class with Creative on how to use Retention+ correctly would help.

GEEG!!!!! You brilliant woman, you! This is the answer I've been looking for, as my Moxie brush has the tell-tale yellowing and I couldn't figure out why. THANK YOU!:hug: :green:

I read loads on here about brush contamination, I have never had a contaminated brush such that my enhancements have yellowed, never had it.

I do get sometimes a bit of yellow on my table towel if I discard a bead or wipe my brush but it has never affected my nails and I think it's more to do with the couch roll than the brush being contaminated.

If your brush is contaminated, I have been taught that it will show up on the enhancement straight away...yellow....having never experienced it myself I can't quantify that in my experience.

**Geeg:
Thanks for the advice, always appreciated! Our instructor at the school I graduated is a "Masters w/Creative" in fact:rolleyes: Had instructed us using the Retention etc. and did make sure to explain to us that it is considered a "primerless product" :) But we had another instructor who told us that a good part of clients do tend to be "lifters" and instructed us to use the No Lift along w/the Retention:confused: So we did as "instructed" needless to say but I also must say we Never had any complaints for all the clients we did of any yellowing?! But we didn't do the full sets of sculptures either (only tips w/overlay) and all, it was just on myself a couple weeks ago when I finally ventured to do a set on myself to try and get away from "tipping". So I got mine soaked off today, when I put another new set on this time I'll do it without any primer and see what happens*

* Well, got a "fresh" set on couple days ago and Yeah - no yellow:green: I'm a happy camper and used EzFlow's Boogie Night "hot stuff" , looks quite nice for the holidays I must say :) Happy Holidays to All**

Latest posts

Back