Could i get in trouble for this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxhaylzxx

Reaction score
I am working part time in a salon and i am just setting up mobile. Basically i have said to afew clients that i am thinking of setting up and alot said that they would come with me. I havent given them any contact details for me, but they keep asking. If i give them anything like my card could i get in trouble for this? My boss knows that i am doing mobile plus its not in my contract that i cant. Its my clients that are now asking me and i cant help it if they want to follow as they always ask to book in with me anyway. Surely if i left then they would look me up if i didnt give them a card. What are your thoughts with this as i dont want to get into trouble. XX

Thinking from the Salon Owners point of view, I don't think I would be too happy if one of my staff was to do this, it's basically taking custom from the salon, if they happened to find you themselves and call you then fair enough, but using the salon as a place to advertise the fact that you are going mobile isn't something I personally would do, nothing wrong with trying to better yourself, everyone wants to do that, but maybe it's not a godd idea to do it in a way that could harm anothers livleyhood, all the best with your new venture x

I would say that this is bad practise, its entirely your choice and many therapists i have no doubt would do this but i would suggest not doing this, try and build up your client base outside of your work place. People can look you up if you leave.

As i said im not making an judgements but try and think of it the other way round if you were a employer, you meet the same people on your way up as you do on your way down....so be nice xxx

You will probably get disciplined or sacked if you get caught soliciting clients in this way. It is not acceptable practice for an employee to work in competition with the salon.

ye i know thats fine im not going to start giving out cards or anything it just came up in conversation one day. You know them conversations where the client says have you ever thought of working for yourself and i just said im thinking of going mobile. They just said well let me know when you do and ill book in. I personally havent said anymore but they keep saying about it. I wish i had never said anything now but i do understand what you are saying. I will just start my advertising form next week which are my plans and if they see it then fair enough if not i will not say anymore about it. Thanks for your comments. xx

Where I worked before, my old boss always knew I wanted my own salon.

When it came to the time I was setting up, I told my boss with 6 weeks notice that I would be leaving. She asked me to work another week as she was having time off, which was fine. I was hoping to keep my job for the full 6 weeks but knew she wouldn't want me there.

Now, I did the wrong thing. I spoke to a handful of clients. I told a girl who was getting married the following month, and 2 clients who had said to me in the past they would be lost without me. I felt bad and my boss found out, I left with my head hung in shame (after I had covered her time off.)

I felt I had done the right thing at the time, and my boss was under the impression I had told EVERY client, which definitely not the case. I think at the most, I spoke to 5 clients. My boss also told some of my clients, who then came to the salon to ask why I was leaving and where was I going...what was I to do? I couldn't say "Eh, I don't know my mobile number..."

So, all in all. I would say if your clients ask, tell them to keep their eye on the local paper, as if you leave, you will put an ad there. Then you are not doing the wrong thing.

Also, good to note, but I only told those 5 or so people, I have had 40 clients now find me where I am. Word of mouth is very powerful.

Good luck. x

Ye thats it i think i have told three people, i have told them not to say anything yet and i can trust them as they came to me at my current place through either already knowing me or close friends and family telling them about me. I will just tell them to keep an eye out when the time comes. Like you say word of mout is powerful! Obveously cant leave where i am yet untill i have got my regular clients that will keep me going. So god knows how long that will take but until then i shall not mention it at work. Thanks for your replies they have been helpful to me. xx

If you were touting for trade in my salon i would sack you effective immediately.
It is the unwritten rule really, and lets face it wouldnt do your new business any good when you clients asked for you and they were told you were dismissed!!

I wasnt ''trouting for trade'' It was said in a conversation that i was thinking of setting up mobile. As they were asking me about getting my number i was just windering if i could get introuble for that which i know i can so i am not going to.

I wasnt ''trouting for trade'' It was said in a conversation that i was thinking of setting up mobile. As they were asking me about getting my number i was just windering if i could get introuble for that which i know i can so i am not going to.

Very wise.
If clients love you, they will find you by themselves.

If you are good at what you do, you can easily make your living without hurting anyone else.

Do as you would be done by x

Do as you would be done by x

Totally agree with this little saying.

Turn it on its head, could be you 5 years down the line and you are employing staff, you have worked your heart out for those 5 years to build it up and along comes *you* thinking about leaving and telling clients.............not very nice is it? If those clients are loyal to the owner, she will find out believe me and you will not have a job much longer, so be very very careful.

I can say all this from my own experience and I found out what she had been up to after I dismissed her for a different reason and all the clients she approached are still with me now!

This thread has really helped me out as I am in a similar situation at the moment and was wondering what to do! Thanks guys! x

Just my 2p worth, but I dont think your boss is going to be very impressed that you have mentioned it to clients, I'm not an employer but if I was I wouldnt be very happy with the situation no matter how the conversation came about between you and the client(s). I agree that when you go advertise maybe place an add in the paper, definately set up a website and leaflet the local area. Let the clients find you if they want you to continue to do their treatments rather than 'poaching' them from your current employer. Also the advertising enables you to gain new clients which will enable you to build up as mobile.

Hope this helps

Emily

If the client keeps asking you for your details just tell them straight that it would be unprofessional and bad practice for you to give them your details whilst your still working at the salon, I'm sure they would respect you more for your professionalism anyway and stop asking you.

I am not sure that I understand what you are saying. Could be my hormones! Are you saying that you are working part time in a salon and are or are intending to go mobile while you are still working there but build up your own business, which would, in effect, be competition to the salon you are employed with? So therefore you will be working for your own competition?

I am sorry but I would not employ you at all if you were working mobile or for any other salon. If your employer is aware of you being mobile or going mobile then he/she is a fool for keeping you on and if that is the case then it is his/her own fault for being so naive. However if they do not know of your intentions then it is just simply wrong of you to mention to any of the salon's clients what you are doing.

Its up to you!
You could say "I dont think its fair I give you my details whilst I still am an employer here, however you will see my mobile details advertised in due course ;)"

How about "adding" your clients as friends on facebook, then when you have set up you mobile business "create a group" and they will see it with your details and join?

I too definatly think having a full page spread/ large advert in your local paper with a photo of you on it too, would be a brilliant way to let everyone know your details!

Maybe do leaflet drops down the roads you know your clients live too!

To be honest its not nice from the employees point of view, but like you said there has nothing in your contract to say you cant! Your employer should have thought about adding this clause to your contract when she was getting it drawn up. So to answer you question, I cant see how you could get in trouble, its not like you are breaching your contract!

I once worked for a lady, who opened a salon just down the road from the salon she used to go to, from which she poached one of the therapist in the understanding that she would bring loads of clients with her!
When I left that salon I told a few clients (3) where I was going, one of which still comes to me 9 years on!

Good luck with you new venture, I hope you have a very sucessful business.

Love Emma x:hug:x

Ok thank you for the replies i do know what im going to do now so no more need be said. The place i work is on a holiday park and so most of our clients only come once apart from the few local people that come and they followed me there in the first place. Not that thats an excuse so i have told my supervisor my intentions as we never see the owners we are left to out devices and she said thats fine as she also keeps saying(so i hear through the other staff(none therapists)) thats she keeps saying she is going mobile. So really i am not working for my competition and am only staying their while i bulid up my base as i have a mortgage to pay and bills etc. Thanks for the replies but no more need be said now :) xx

I understand your predicament. I've been going to the same hairdresser for four years. If she were to move I would do whatever it took to track her down! Yes, it was thanks to the salon that I found her, but - as a consumer - it is her services I want and am loyal to, not the salon's. Sad but true!

I completely agree that therapists shouldn't actively promote their solo ventures while working elsewhere, but if you're good your clients WILL follow you wherever you go. Of course most salons want to employ the very best therapists, but the flip side of that is that when they leave, there's the possibility that so will some of your clients!

I am working part time in a salon and i am just setting up mobile. Basically i have said to afew clients that i am thinking of setting up and alot said that they would come with me. I havent given them any contact details for me, but they keep asking. If i give them anything like my card could i get in trouble for this? My boss knows that i am doing mobile plus its not in my contract that i cant. Its my clients that are now asking me and i cant help it if they want to follow as they always ask to book in with me anyway. Surely if i left then they would look me up if i didnt give them a card. What are your thoughts with this as i dont want to get into trouble. XX
if i was ur boss i would not b very happy u r takeing money from the shop i would sack u on the spot sorry

Latest posts

Back