Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Full leg/bikini line/underarm £15!

I was given my spray tan kit & tent as a gift, and my tan solution costs me approx £xx per tan. My training was £60, and I charge £10 a tan. I make £xx profit per tan, meaning after my first 8 tans I had paid off my training. The same as in 8 tans, my insurance for the year is paid. I work from a beauty room in my parents house which is included in my board, £100 p/m (i get 2 rooms, me and my cats food paid and access to my mums car) which i take out my wages from my part time job. Therefore I don't feel a £10 tan is cheap, it's £8 for 10 minutes work, considering I work A LOT harder for half that at my job, I think it's really profitable. But I do have very low overheads.

That's only tans, thats not including my hair extensions, lashes, nails or waxing.
So how many tans do you have to do to make back the money on the solution, the additional accessories required, the additional cost for your folks home & contents insurance, petrol and if you are using your mums car for business the additional car insurance costs? Please don't think i'm having a go but you seem to have missed these things out when calculating your profit. Or is this all figured into your whole business P & L?

I was given my spray tan kit & tent as a gift, and my tan solution costs me approx £xx per tan. My training was £60, and I charge £10 a tan. I make £xx profit per tan, meaning after my first 8 tans I had paid off my training. The same as in 8 tans, my insurance for the year is paid. I work from a beauty room in my parents house which is included in my board, £100 p/m (i get 2 rooms, me and my cats food paid and access to my mums car) which i take out my wages from my part time job. Therefore I don't feel a £10 tan is cheap, it's £8 for 10 minutes work, considering I work A LOT harder for half that at my job, I think it's really profitable. But I do have very low overheads.

That's only tans, thats not including my hair extensions, lashes, nails or waxing.

What about your profit after you've paid your tax and NI? I think you are underselling yourself by only charging £10.00

So how many tans do you have to do to make back the money on the solution, the additional accessories required, the additional cost for your folks home & contents insurance, petrol and if you are using your mums car for business the additional car insurance costs? Please don't think i'm having a go but you seem to have missed these things out when calculating your profit. Or is this all figured into your whole business P & L?

I don't pay insurance on my mums car as its a lease, I also dont pay for petro as thats factored into my board to my parents. I don't have a clue about home insurance as its my parents house and I'm 19 lol.

Also if I raised the price of my tans, I'd get no business at all. I raised them to £12 and got NOONE, £10 is pretty much the going rate in my area.

I don't pay insurance on my mums car as its a lease, I also dont pay for petro as thats factored into my board to my parents. I don't have a clue about home insurance as its my parents house and I'm 19 lol.

Also if I raised the price of my tans, I'd get no business at all. I raised them to £12 and got NOONE, £10 is pretty much the going rate in my area.

Then you are one very lucky lady if you do not have to pay any of these items. Most of us have to factor all these costs and more into our prices to make a good profit and your prices wouldn't even cover those x

Saw shellac on a salon notice board for £10 :/

my day job boss' daughter is advertising shellac for £8!! somehow i dont quite think its shellac, and the shellac she had on her nails the other day was no shellac colour iv ever seen, was like a luminous green :s unless this can be done with layering/additives or whatever

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

I just got a request yesterday from a client saying "how much for a full set of gel enhancements? I don't want to pay rediculous!". exact words. I gave her a price (which is a fair and normal price for my area and products) She say "no way, I can get them for less than half that" I said that's fine and to have a nice holiday season!

no way she's getting a full set of CND Brisa's for less than half of what I charge. I suspect a local NSS "gel" manicure in her future.

I had a text once asking if I did or could point her in the right direction for a full set of acrylics for £12 max ..... I said not me & don't know anyone that cheap !!

Just seen today at a local salon Spray tan acrylics, shellac and eye brow wax £20.00 omg how they can make a profit of this is beyond me haha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Also at the same place high and low lights full head including cut and blowdry £35.00, this salon did ruin my hair once lool

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

and what about tax and national insurance and all the other costs of running a salon?

do you do your own accounts or pay an accountant?

I think maybe your example illustrates the original points of this thread that if you are a fully operating business paying all the costs associated with a business then to charge at low low prices does not make a respectable profit.

I think fair play to you for seeing an opportunity and going for it but it doesnt sound like your costs are realistic of what others are paying

and what about tax and national insurance and all the other costs of running a salon?

do you do your own accounts or pay an accountant?

I think maybe your example illustrates the original points of this thread that if you are a fully operating business paying all the costs associated with a business then to charge at low low prices does not make a respectable profit.

I think fair play to you for seeing an opportunity and going for it but it doesnt sound like your costs are realistic of what others are paying

And as Loveleelady has pointed out - therein lies the problem all us other techs have with people who aren't really running a business at all... You have NO true overheads apart from product costs. That's NOT a business in the true sense of the word. I'd be interested how much your parents would charge for a spray tan once the overheads THEY'RE paying on your behalf were taken into account. But good luck to you, grab it whilst you can because once you're in the "real world", you may see things a little differently and have to charge more. :)

Of course its a business don't be ridiculous! I pay overheads but I still think those who don't have them all to pay- If there getting money out of what they do when they go to work everyday it is a business!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Only just started lash extensions and someone asked how much for mid jan, my price £30. Her reply was I can get them done for £10 I thought I'd see if you were cheaper :( How ever annoying. Why would you even do it?!

Of course its a business don't be ridiculous! I pay overheads but I still think those who don't have them all to pay- If there getting money out of what they do when they go to work everyday it is a business!

Not quite.

Almost all of these 'hairguessers' (as I call them) have a part-time or full time job doing something else. Hair & Beauty is not their business; not even their career - it is their hobby. It is absolutely no different to me making some cupcakes in the evening and selling them cheaper than the local bakery. I am not undercutting the local bakery, I am simply charging all that I am worth. If I were to try and charge more the response would be "Thanks, but I can get them from a real baker for that money!" (as proven in this thread by someone who put their home tans up by £2 and lost all 'clients').

But it's all fine with me - at the end of the day I do serious people who spend serious money on a serious professional doing their services and I appreciate not everyone can afford (or wants) to spend £100+ on their hair, and these people have to go somewhere. Hairguessers provide good value for money on Facebook in the same way as Farmfoods provide cheap frozen food - I am unlikely to find fresh tarragon, cranberries or Stinking Bishop on their shelves (nor a staff member who knows what to do with them) but the bargain basement price reflects that. Everyone has their place in life and there is room for everyone in our wonderful industry. We all start at the bottom. :)

Just seen a local "SALON" offering semi perm lashes, eyebrow tint and shape for £22!!! Also, book the package and get a further 10% off!!! That's £19.80 for all 3 services! Throw in that donut and I'm sold!!!
Now, you don't have to be a rocket science to work out these places are not money making businesses.... They are more often used as cover ups for illegal businesses that need to launder their money.... Sad but true...

You are the ridiculous one if you think paying zero overheads and charging low prices counts as a business.

A business counts when the taxman knows about it. And if he knows about it then so do the local authorities - particularly if you are a 'homeworker'. And neither of these entities will let a business operate for free.

And if a business cannot operate for free then this has to be reflected in the prices charged for services rendered.

And that would mean the 'business' could not charge the insane prices we have seen mentioned on this thread.

By the way, I only use the word ridiculous as it was the polite turn of phrase used in the above post.

I would have chosen something a little more polite perhaps, particularly as it is the season of goodwill to all men.

Peace and respect.

xx

Facebook offering full set of acrylics £5 omg xx

There comes a point when a service is devalued .... I've spoken to several clients about this recently and they agree.
There is a few local places doing eyebrow shaping for £1.50-£2 and we've rescused a fair few of them after some clients have taken a chance likewise I saw a poster earlier this month for a full head of foils for £30 including cut and style.
I've also heard on good authority there is another local salon using shop bought box colours and using whatever shampoo/conditioner is on offer at the supermarket & decantering into salon size bottles.

Now my business is based on value and QUALITY for money but that doesnt mean rock bottom prices for rock bottom services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back