Dealing with a Boss who can't say "No".

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perfected

Reaction score
I work in a spa that has been open just a little past a year last November. I love it there, there are seven of us that work there (including the front desk gal) and we all get along like a dream.

I am currently the only nail tech working there. My boss C. apparently has a very hard time telling clients NO. This has lead to some serious schedule cramming. IE: December 19th I had to squeeze a mani and pedi in one hour. I usually take 35 minutes for a mani, and 45 minutes for a pedi. So 20 minutes shaved off each client's service total (each person was getting a mani/pedi.)

Yesterday, my last appointment was a couple celebrating their 38th anniversary. The man was getting a more deluxe pedi that usually takes about an hour, and the woman was getting the reg. pedi. There was a note on the books about doing the man's pedi, then having him sit in another chair, putting on the soy booties, and letting him sit while I started his wife's pedi. HUH? And then someone could remove his booties later and he could put on his socks and go. I'm sorry, but no. The couple were not in any rush at all, and I completed his service in the pedi chair. This way, it looked professional, he was able to enjoy a foot/leg massage, and our poor desk gal didn't have to do a nail tech's work! (Besides, no one should be bending over on the floor to do something that can and should be done in the pedi chair!)

Today, day before Vday, we are PACKED. While I'm grateful for the business, I am upset about one thing. One of the express pedis, which should be 25 minutes, has been cut down to 15. That's not an express pedi, that's a polish change. Apparently the front desk gal said that when she first booked things, she didn't cram them like that. And then I asked the boss, and she said she didn't know, she didn't book it, to ask T, and I told her I already did. She stood there, staring at the computer, saying, "Huh. Huh... Huh.". Yeah, like Huh, I caught you lying to me? She rearranged things, crammed things together, and doesn't want to admit it to me. I simply told her that I don't mind doing back to back appointments, but I need my time for the services.

I stress out about this kind of stuff. Big time. How do I tell her to not pack my appointments like sardines when she can't say no to clients?? (I think yesterday's appointment note was her idea anyways, since I'm guessing the lady asked if they could get pedis at the same time, and since we can't she probably told the lady her idea.)

Ugh...not looking forward to today's crazy day. :irked:

I understand how you feel. It would irk me too. Could be that it is about getting as many clients through the door, which in turn is all about making money. I agree that business is business, but it is not an honest one if clients are paying for a 25 minute service and only getting 15 minutes.

How do your other colleagues feel? Perhaps a staff meeting to put your view points accross?

I know for a fact that the second in charge (and a massage therapist) isn't happy about it either. I don't know what the others feel, but I know if I say anything to the second in charge she'll definitely mention it to C. (Which is why I mention things carefully.)

I think that maybe you will all have to present a united front and sit down to discuss this together. If there is more than one person unhappy, then the boss will have to listen. Good luck x

As a client a would stop coming when I had to pay for a 25 minute pedi but received a 15 minute one.
Don't the clients complaine ?

Minette

Since the clients are coming in as a group when this happens, they probably don't even realize. The work looks acceptable and no one gets cut, so they probably are unaware. I think she uses that to her advantage. Today while in the back she praised me at how well I was doing on time. I told her it was my worst work ever and I felt like I was working at a discount salon. She just kept repeating that it was V. Day weekend and they knew they were getting short services. She wouldn't even let me finish. I'm sure they were aware they were getting the express services, but what I did was less than what they paid for. Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Sometimes I have this issue because my boss likes to give everyone what they want as far as appointments. I first tried leaving a note in the appointment book and that worked for the day but after I just politely asked if he could be a little more cautious in booking my appointments because I need a certain amount of time for each service. Clients have complained about other stylists "rushing" them out of the salon to take the next client and they feel that all they are is just a dollar sign. I admire your professionalism =)

Are your clients not complaining that they are not getting the time they are paying for?
This sounds awful! I think you need to have words with your boss. I'm guessing she isnt beauty trained? xxx

She is a massage therapist, so it's slightly different. Mostly I have the alotted times required for services, but on days like today, it's just insane. I made it through the day though, Thank God. I have four clients tomorrow, and they are pretty spaced out. From 11 to 6. Monday just can't come fast enough!! :)

is there a way you can just book your own appointments? in my salon we dont have a front desk person, we just handle our own books. It works way easier but then again, if a sylist has to book for me they respect my time limits. I agree with Pp that you need to have a sitdown with #1 and #2 in command... they can't be forcing you to do half bit services or you'll end up losing clientele...

We don't have a way to do our own books. It's computer booking, with online booking as well. Not that online bookings cause commotion. It's more like the boss going back in and squishing. lol

This isn't good because it makes you look bad,not the boss not anyone else but you.You cannot give a relaxed,100% treatment if you are rushing.I have it in the salon as well sometimes.Last week in fact I had a full body and scalp aromatherapy massage plus an eyebrow reshape and as I was just getting to the back on my clients body I heard another client being told that I wouldn't be long:eek:Now I knew I would be at least another 20 mins and I felt quite uncomfortable and not relaxed which imo is crucial to giving a good massage.As a result I ended up rushing.I hadn't been given enough time,the room I was in was needed because the non surgical facelift equipment was in there and we only have one(as they cost a lot of money)

Anyway,a staff meeting is definately called for so everyone is aware,inc your boss that timings are there for a reason.We all have to cram things in at times but it shouldn't be too much as at the end of the day the clients are paying for your time as well as their treatments and if they feel we are rushing chances are they wont come back.

I had this problem too!

What I did was, I wrote up a list of all of my services and the MINIMUM time each would take, PLUS five minutes after each appointment for going to the toilet, washing and sanitising my hands etc.
I told everyone who worked there (I was the only nail tech also) the if they were to take any bookings for me, it HAD to be allotted the minimum time because even though the service can be rushed, I still had to clean up and set up, put stuff in for sterilising, etc, etc. and if they pushed too much into too little time, I'd have to get someone else to clean up for me so I could keep up, or else the clients would start getting infections a God-knows-what! This worked for me, because no senior hairdresser wants to be cleaning up after a lowly nail tech! (their thoughts, not mine ;-) and no business owner wants to INCREASE the risk of giving their clients some sort of infection or disease.

If this doesn't work, get someone your boss doesn't know to book in for something or other, and then when she gets short-changed, to complain.

If neither of these things work, ask yourself how desperately you need to work for someone who can't respect your want to provide clients with the very service they are paying for?

She is either way too nice and doesn't want to turn anyone away or it's all about getting as much money in as she can. I had a salon owner who couldn't understand why I wouldn't make my standing clients sit around and wait while I crammed someone in who waited til the last minute to think about getting their nails done. Since I was a booth renter I had the right to stand up to her and say that my standing client's are more important to me then someone who only thinks about themselves and expects us to drop everything for them. One time she actually had a customer come back, brought in another nail tech for the one person, stuck that customer in a corner by the shampoo bowl, in a crammed in room with hair stylists, and gave her a pedicure and full set. I was furious because it gave the impression that the nail part of the salon operated that way. But when someone makes up their mind to do something w/o any consideration for not only you, but the customer/client, there really isn't much you can do about it. They aren't going to change. You either have to accept it or move on.

Easy, do them in the correct amount of time and make your boss explain to the lines of people waiting that she double booked you. Also, start calling the crammed bookings in advance and tell them somone has made a mistake and double booked so you cant do the appt and is another time suitable. You could also say just checking this is what you booked for as my boss has not set aside enough time.

Lol. I'd be fired for sure if I did that! I have thought about it before. I'm sure if I just took full allotted time for the services and ran "behind" but was actually on time as far as what I needed, she would learn quick.

I haven't really talked to her more about it since, but I have noticed today and next Saturday is booked up with parties. And my timing? Perfectly spaced out like it should be. :) I even have little patches of time blocked out between certain services. I think I woke her up a little last time when I said I felt like I was doing my worst work ever and felt like I was working in a discount salon. She knows my work ethic is better than that and understandably I was very upset. I think she is just too nice and tries to fit everyone in. I also think she likes to make money. Even though we are all here to do that, timing is important. :)

Latest posts

Back