Decorating UGH UGH

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, let's backtrack. Bought our house 2yrs ago, its a fixer upper and we've been fixing things up ever since :wink2:

Our basement family room originally had nasty 1970's fake wood panelling that we painted white as a temporary solution and a nasty wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookshelf thingy that just ended up collecting more and more junk (as you'll see in a picture that was taken about 6mths after moving in)

As we speak, my husband is putting up new walls. He tore down the old panelling, discovered there was no insulation between them and the concrete foundation (hence explaining our heating bills and the humidity factor). He put in insulation, repaired some joists... And is not putting up the new gyprock (sp?) over the insulation which we'll plaster and paint. He tore down the old shelving unit, etc.

Now, question is, looking at the size of the room in the picture (which really doesn't give it justice for it's size) and the color of my sofas (which are coffee with milk in color?) what colors would YOU suggest?

I'm leaning towards cream and spiced pumpkin (like pumpkin pie?) to go with my sofas and to create a cozy warm, relaxed 'countryish' room without all the "kitchiness" if you know what I mean (no gingham! no flowers!)
Hubby is against the pumpkin :-(

Any ideas? Here's the room as it looked before with my sofas http://image14.webshots.com/14/1/1/25/158710125pCpqcf_ph.jpg taken from the staircase.
The loveseat will now go where the bookcase is, and the long sofa will go under the window to open the room up, while the tv will go on the wall to the right opposite the window. (toys to go in corner at the end of the wall next to loveseat)

Looking forward to some suggestions :wink2:

PS: please excuse folded laundry on sofa and wild rugrats in the room LOL

PSS: just looked at pic again and realized it had to be closer to 1mth after moving in as no curtains on the window LOL Like I said, shelves became place to put things I ddint want to deal with right away LOL

Hi Victoria,

I have just tried to look at both your piccies, but both links are coming up that I am forbidden to look at them, so sorry I can't give any opinion on your colour scheme. Try uploading the piccies again, I havent a clue why the link won't let me see them.

Love

Joan

sorry i can't give you my opinion as i have tried to lok at by won't them maybe if you put them in your gallery then we can have a look
jenny

I really like that colour hun its very inn this year , i have my living room that colour . And is that your little girl? very cute xx

Yes, those are my two girls. One is NOW 2.5yrs and the other is 4.5... I should post a more recent pic of them beside me, they are soooooooooo tall.

The room will be huge when it's done and re-arranged. I'm trying so hard to convince hubby to let me do pumpkin LOL I've wanted a country 'rustic' living room for some time and bought that living room set with that in mind, with plain pine coffee tables and I have wrought iron candle sticks and wall sconces.....
etc.... (upstairs living room is 'modern' with hubby's old living room set and I DETEST IT.. it's freaking pink YUCK) lol

Any other ideas, other than spiced pumpkin & cream that my hubby 'might' let me do? LOL

what about a nice coffee colour ?? like a few shades darker than your couch ?? its not a dark brown more like a dark beige, if you get what i mean:green: i will try find a link for a colour chart for ya and put it up, xx

if you go to www.dulux.co.uk and go to colours it brings up a whole range i looked in neutrals and it has loads of biegey colours on there, hth luv dee x

My husband was leaning that way...
But the problem is: it's a basement with only one very skinny window that even on the brightest days.. it's not very light in there. On the picture it's bright because there are no curtains on the window.

Also, I'm a big fan of 'contrast' :green: But thanks for your idea.

I've been on the benjamin paint site and the behr site where they have this software where you can decorate rooms.. I just can't decide on anything other than pumpkin. Nothing else speaks to me and hubby hates it.
:irked:

Latest posts

Back