Dental problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hate dentists .... to the point i neglected going for a few years & then needed 6 fillings all at the same time (was sedated thankfully) .... i shake everytime i'm in the chair.

However, no matter how bad it is, i've learnt that it is actually less painful in the long term to keep on top of it & go to the 6 month check ups.

As much as i hate being in that chair & dread them telling me i need work doing, it's overall less stressful than not going & then ending up with major issues.

I didn't go for 7 years!! Finally went, two babies later and the conclusion from the Eastern European dentist was "you make good money you sell your teeth in my country"!
Went again after three years and was told my teeth were amazing by another dr! That was 4 years ago and it's finally coughs up with me :(

Ooh looks like I may get some sleep..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1364245051.072367.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1364245051.072367.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 91
Only two NHS in our area. Already cost me just shy of £100 so can't afford private

£100? You are being ripped off! The charge for emergency treatment, X-rays, exam and prescription is £17.50. Anything after that is an additional £30.50 making a total of £48 unless you are having complex dental work such as bridges, dentures and crowns. They should not be charging you each and every time you go to the same practice as the treatment is not finished and they have not solved the problem. It should be £48 from start to finish, no matter how long it takes and how many fills/Rct's or extractions they do! You should report them to your local PCT and let them know that you are doing it. They are ripping you of and getting away with it. Giving honest NHS dentists a bad name.....I'm actually quite angry about this! :evil:

Last edited:
Oh bless you I've had some cracking toothache in the last few years so I know how you feel it's worse than childbirth !
Call nhs direct tell them your in agony and they will give you the number of an emergency dentist they can't keep passing the buck someone has to help you :-(
Good luck Hun hope your pain free soon xx

£100? You are being ripped off! The charge for emergency treatment, X-rays, exam and prescription is £17.50. Anything after that is an additional £30.50 making a total of £48 unless you are having complex dental work such as bridges, dentures and crowns. They should not be charging you each and every time you go as the treatment is not finished and they have not solved the problem. It should be £48 from start to finish, no matter how long it takes and how many fills/Rct's or extractions they do! You should report them to your local PCT and let them know that you are doing it. They are ripping you of and getting away with it. Giving honest NHS dentists a bad name.....I'm actually quite angry about this! :evil:

This is true witching two months of treatment but its over three months since my initial consult.
Initial consultation and treatment £48
(End November)
Second emergency consult £17.50
Prescription £8.00
Then I went for a second opinion at a different dentist £17.50

I'm
Now going to need further treatment I think, we'll according to other dentist, who said I need a root canal :(

X

Within not witching

I can't believe (well I can actually!) that your hopeless dentist has left you in agony all this time and hasn't even prescribed painkillers for you!
I had a terrible abscess under a crown once and the stupid dentist didn't really know what to do and just kept fobbing me off with antibiotics (I'm already on strong painkillers for a back injury). In the end I was rushed to a&e as my face swelled up so bad it was becoming difficult to breathe and the pain was off the scale. The hospital had to remove the crown and drain the abscess and they said they couldn't believe the negligence of the dentist to just leave me like that, i could have had fatal consequences! and they said nobody should have to suffer like that and they would never turn anyone away even if all they could do was offer better pain relief so I really think if you can't take the pain anymore you should try going to a&e. I also wouldn't go back to the crappy dentist who has got you into this mess. Really wish you well and hope you get this sorted quick xx

This is true witching two months of treatment but its over three months since my initial consult.
Initial consultation and treatment £48
(End November)
Second emergency consult £17.50
Prescription £8.00
Then I went for a second opinion at a different dentist £17.50

I'm
Now going to need further treatment I think, we'll according to other dentist, who said I need a root canal :(

X

Did you go to a different practice for your second opinion or a different dentist at the same practice? Also, is it the same tooth that is the problem from the initial treatment or a different one, because you get a years guarantee for most treatment unless they did a filling and told you that you would need RCT at a later date. It's hard to explain, but basically dentists get paid for the work they do so there is a lot of opportunity for frauding the NHS (not that I am saying that is what is happening here) a few years ago in my practice the dentists who owned the practice were claiming for work that they hadn't done but worse, they were doing stuff like fills on patients and claiming, knowing that fills would fail and really they needed RCT's or extractions. Then when the fills failed and the patient came back in pain, they did what they knew they should have done in the first place and claimed again....thus getting paid by the NHS twice. They have now lost their license and cannot work, but I'm sure this stuff still goes on....:evil:

I feel your pain.

I had an abcess and had a tooth removed by the nhs, the dentist told me the rest of my teeth were fine. 1 month later I was at a private dentist getting 3 teeth out including 2 wisdom teeth. 1 had a crack in where he pulled the last one out and had become infected and my whole face was swollen. Never been in so much pain in my life.

I used co codamol and nurofen and would of prob overdosed on the amount I was taking. Tried clove oil but it burns so have to be carful then used bicarb and salt in my gum and that drew the infection out. Even chewed a clove of garlic, that was so painful.

Tooth pain is the worst pain alongside child birth. I hope you get it fixed soon. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Xxxx

Jeeze lovey I feel for u I was treated the same by my dentist for 2 wks being fobbed off and run around and had to wait nearly a month for an extraction on a wisdom tooth due to an abscess which refused to bugger off. To top it the dentist refused to extract and I had to wait for a referral at hospital, I took antibiotics for 6 wks from start to finish I really hope they sort it soon its horrific! Not an ounce of sympathy from the either gits!

Did you go to a different practice for your second opinion or a different dentist at the same practice? Also, is it the same tooth that is the problem from the initial treatment or a different one, because you get a years guarantee for most treatment unless they did a filling and told you that you would need RCT at a later date. It's hard to explain, but basically dentists get paid for the work they do so there is a lot of opportunity for frauding the NHS (not that I am saying that is what is happening here) a few years ago in my practice the dentists who owned the practice were claiming for work that they hadn't done but worse, they were doing stuff like fills on patients and claiming, knowing that fills would fail and really they needed RCT's or extractions. Then when the fills failed and the patient came back in pain, they did what they knew they should have done in the first place and claimed again....thus getting paid by the NHS twice. They have now lost their license and cannot work, but I'm sure this stuff still goes on....:evil:

I went to a different NHS practice..
It honk he is saying that the tooth pain, which he says is a gum infection, is completely unrelated to the initial filling he gave me. I bag to differ as there was an overspill from the filling I could clearly feel with my tooth which was the "white thing stick between my teeth"
I'm now feeling really sick and a wee bit dizzy so think these antibiotics are not agreeing with me. An taking no more. Going to be in the phone at 8.30sm and they will be having me and my 3 children sat in their office until they can see me!

Think not honk..think I am getting fat fingers lol

Are you on Cefalexin antibiotics? They're known for making you feel sick. It helps if you take them with food. Could you maybe manage a bit of mashed up banana to take them with? You could also ask the dentist/doctor to prescribe you some anti sickness tablets like cyclizine so you can persevere with the antibiotics as they are very good ones for gum infections. Hth xx

Are you on Cefalexin antibiotics? They're known for making you feel sick. It helps if you take them with food. Could you maybe manage a bit of mashed up banana to take them with? You could also ask the dentist/doctor to prescribe you some anti sickness tablets like cyclizine so you can persevere with the antibiotics as they are very good ones for gum infections. Hth xx

Them be the ones :( I am still managing to eat lol, nothing puts me off my food have just had to modify it. Took them with mushy squashed cheesy pasta and have a flap jack to dissolve in tea for my next one

Charvey - have you not the money (or can you find the money to visit a private practice) I don't even bother with the nhs dentists anymore, had to many problems over the years.

I go private now even if it means not paying the bills, there's nothing like toothache !! I'm just saving up to be sedated & have some work done. (Been getting toothache since Xmas eve on a daily basis, finally realised I've got to get it sorted so am having to save as it's so expensive) I'm at the minute living off painkillers daily, not good!
I need a couple of teeth out & about 6 fillings :( then an invisalign brace & whitening! the last part will be done in year 2036 at this rate though.

A couple of years ago I was in a similar kind of situation to you, nhs emergo dentist took a tooth out but snapped my roots & left them in,took 9 days of persistent pain before the nhs referred me to an oral surgeon who got them out in a split second!

Another case was when an 18 year old dentist (he really was about 18) lol tried to take a tooth out with an abcess under.

My husband has had some bad stuff done with the nhs too, he had four fillings & all four fell out the same afternoon? Went back & had them re-filled & the same happened !! He went private & 2 years later all four fillings are still in.

These are the reasons I'm scared of the dentist & won't have work done with out sedation.

Really hope you get it sorted hun, my daily coping mechanisms at the minute are panadol extra, ibruprofen, oral gel & warm salt water & listerine mouthwash. Let us know how you get on xx

Charvey - have you not the money (or can you find the money to visit a private practice) I don't even bother with the nhs dentists anymore, had to many problems over the years.

I go private now even if it means not paying the bills, there's nothing like toothache !! I'm just saving up to be sedated & have some work done. (Been getting toothache since Xmas eve on a daily basis, finally realised I've got to get it sorted so am having to save as it's so expensive) I'm at the minute living off painkillers daily, not good!
I need a couple of teeth out & about 6 fillings :( then an invisalign brace & whitening! the last part will be done in year 2036 at this rate though.

A couple of years ago I was in a similar kind of situation to you, nhs emergo dentist took a tooth out but snapped my roots & left them in,took 9 days of persistent pain before the nhs referred me to an oral surgeon who got them out in a split second!

Another case was when an 18 year old dentist (he really was about 18) lol tried to take a tooth out with an abcess under.

My husband has had some bad stuff done with the nhs too, he had four fillings & all four fell out the same afternoon? Went back & had them re-filled & the same happened !! He went private & 2 years later all four fillings are still in.

These are the reasons I'm scared of the dentist & won't have work done with out sedation.

Really hope you get it sorted hun, my daily coping mechanisms at the minute are panadol extra, ibruprofen, oral gel & warm salt water & listerine mouthwash. Let us know how you get on xx

The panadol/ibroprofin is helping a lot today..
I can't afford private at the mo but as soon as this is done I am going to a private dentists and taking out a family dental plan.
Going to ring them today and see when he can get me in as still very very sore x

The panadol/ibroprofin is helping a lot today..
I can't afford private at the mo but as soon as this is done I am going to a private dentists and taking out a family dental plan.
Going to ring them today and see when he can get me in as still very very sore x

You have to hun, Insist and don't leave until they sort you out, as already mentioned earlier you migh be having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics,if nothing else at least they might ease the pain

I'm sticking to my NHS dentist. My oh 's crown fell off the other month, caused a lot of pain to went to his private dentist, the dentist said it could be saved and would cost £60
For the work needed. Then after the appointment he was told to go back a week later where they said they needed to do a new crown etc... And the old one was put on temporarily. When they tried to take the old one off they had used the wrong glue and it was permanent again.
A bit worried he went to see mine and all my family's dentist who couldn't see the need in a new crown and in his opinion was just a money making thing.
My oh has now canceled all appointments with his private dentist in favour of mine (and he can now afford whitening at the village dentist compared to his old city centre practice).

Back to charvey, I hope your sat in the dentist right now. If not go tomorrow, don't give your children breakfast, tire them all out so they are grouchy and see how fast you are seen to with screaming and crying hungry /tired children lol xoxo

I'm sticking to my NHS dentist. My oh 's crown fell off the other month, caused a lot of pain to went to his private dentist, the dentist said it could be saved and would cost £60
For the work needed. Then after the appointment he was told to go back a week later where they said they needed to do a new crown etc... And the old one was put on temporarily. When they tried to take the old one off they had used the wrong glue and it was permanent again.
A bit worried he went to see mine and all my family's dentist who couldn't see the need in a new crown and in his opinion was just a money making thing.
My oh has now canceled all appointments with his private dentist in favour of mine (and he can now afford whitening at the village dentist compared to his old city centre practice).

Back to charvey, I hope your sat in the dentist right now. If not go tomorrow, don't give your children breakfast, tire them all out so they are grouchy and see how fast you are seen to with screaming and crying hungry /tired children lol xoxo

Tomme, your lucky to have an nhs dentist that is decent, there aren't many about.

For me, private is better, plus i can pay for sedation which you cant do with the nhs x

Latest posts

Back