Diet and cancer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tablets or you can get a powder called lepecol xx

Thanks ladies, I'll have a look. So are they tablets/caplets or are they a drink?

I take capsules

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to be able to eat anything but I have to be careful now. Eating certain foods make me feel ill and I'm still not sure what the ingredient is that's doing it. I can eat a certain bag of crisps and feel really ill afterwards or if I have a fry up in the morning i feel ill. I have to grill bacon/sausages as if I fry them I get ill (must be the grease) lol little things like that I have to think about. I'm trying to eat heathy now by eating more fish and vegetables. I'm not sure I can eat the 7 a day they are now saying we should eat though. Didn't do well with the 5 let alone more! Lol x

I used to be able to eat anything but I have to be careful now. Eating certain foods make me feel ill and I'm still not sure what the ingredient is that's doing it. I can eat a certain bag of crisps and feel really ill afterwards or if I have a fry up in the morning i feel ill. I have to grill bacon/sausages as if I fry them I get ill (must be the grease) lol little things like that I have to think about. I'm trying to eat heathy now by eating more fish and vegetables. I'm not sure I can eat the 7 a day they are now saying we should eat though. Didn't do well with the 5 let alone more! Lol x

I think the Australian way to remember it sounds easier, they say 5 and 2 so 5 veg and 2 fruit makes it sound less scary

My gall stones used to give me those symptoms. It would be good to get yourself checked out at the doctors.

What I recommend is keeping a food diary for a few weeks, and parallel to this, write down your symptoms at different times of the day and on a scale of how much pain you are in. There may be a pattern to this, and it would certainly help the doctor with is diagnostic.

Since being told i may have to have my gall bladder removed (im 27) and my gut no longer has the ability to absorb certain nutrients (i also suffered constant ibs, tummy upsets, heartburn and gastritis) i have bucked my ideas up about not eating filth all the time. I never used to eat often and when i did it was a large greasy meal. I joined the gym, increased my water intake, quit coca cola and am slowly introducing clean and lean foods into my diet while eliminating processed ones. I never used to eat any veg at all and had 1-2 portions of fruit per month. I've slowly increased it to 1-2 a day. Its hard work trying to re-train myself to not skip breakfast and eat a big mac for a quick lunch. Only small changes have seen a big difference and after being underweight with a bmi of just 15 i have put on half a stone in 4 months! Sounds a little but i never gain passed 7.5stone but i am now 8! This thread is very interesting and will help educate me further into eating properly so thank you for starting it :)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Since being told i may have to have my gall bladder removed (im 27) and my gut no longer has the ability to absorb certain nutrients (i also suffered constant ibs, tummy upsets, heartburn and gastritis) i have bucked my ideas up about not eating filth all the time. I never used to eat often and when i did it was a large greasy meal. I joined the gym, increased my water intake, quit coca cola and am slowly introducing clean and lean foods into my diet while eliminating processed ones. I never used to eat any veg at all and had 1-2 portions of fruit per month. I've slowly increased it to 1-2 a day. Its hard work trying to re-train myself to not skip breakfast and eat a big mac for a quick lunch. Only small changes have seen a big difference and after being underweight with a bmi of just 15 i have put on half a stone in 4 months! Sounds a little but i never gain passed 7.5stone but i am now 8! This thread is very interesting and will help educate me further into eating properly so thank you for starting it :)

Well done! I have had my gallstones for over 10 years and I manage them well. They only grumble now and again.

Well done! I have had my gallstones for over 10 years and I manage them well. They only grumble now and again.

Well done to u too, Was this by diet control?
Im trying no fried foods, lower fat and lower salt and of course refined sugars. Its working well but sometimes i get a flare up for no good reason. Im waiting on a scan, i fear i have let it go too far and i may have to be operated on.

Growing up i could eat anything, there wasn't anything that i had to avoid incase my body rejected it, but then so could my mum, dad, brother, other family members of all ages, right to the oldest they could eat anything too and all my friends as well, so it wasn't just an age thing then.
The food is just not the same now and our bodies are rejecting alot of it

Lots of water. You can add lemon for taste. I grew up in a holistic home. So this sort of talk about bowel movements was totally normal. Not in a gross way.

As an adult, I take one table spoon of food grade Diatomaceous earth in my water or juice each afternoon. You can do your own research and it must be food grade. I don't push it on anyone, but it helps keep everything cleared out. It also helps with my hypoglycemia. And added benefit the high amount of silica is great for skin, nails and hair.

Not related as such to the original post (sorry Rinn) but I agree your food makes a huge difference to your health in so many ways.

Before I fell pregnant I used to eat terribly. As a former insomniac (though can't sleep tonight as my hormones are on a power trip and I can't stop worrying!) I used to midnight snack and eat and sleep at all the wrong times. I have since changed my diet, at the start I was so nauseous I couldn't eat much, even the thought of drinking turned my tummy! however I got past that stage, changed supermarkets and started eating lots of fruit and veg (which my whole family loves anyway) and cut out almost all processed foods. Of course I still have a cheeky treat but not like I used too. Not only did I find my sleeping improved but when I had my haemoglobin (iron levels) checked at 28 weeks my results came back to that of what is expected of a pregnant woman at 12 weeks :) and what's more even though my 12 week haemoglobin results were within the correct range, my 28 week levels were even better. My midwife said it was all done to my new and improved healthy diet.

I've also lost weight in good way during my pregnancy- you can visibly see it, im literally just bump. A few people have commented on the fact as well :) and said how healthy I look and at 36 weeks I can't complain!

Sadly now im bunged up, pregnancy plus a couple of meals out last week have done me in, my body isnt used to larger portioned, richer foods. So im trying to get back on track this week and have enjoyed salad and fresh veg in abundance this weekend. I just need to learn to drink more water now. I've bought some lemons too to pop in my glass... shame the G&T isn't it though ;) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

My OH is in hospital tomorrow for a colonoscopy - his dad had bowel cancer a few years ago. We've talked about overhauling our diet and exercise and this thread has totally motivated me! :)

I was reading a very interesting article this morning about bowel cancer. Where I live is a hot spot for this type of cancer

It's interesting that it's so common where you live Rinn. Do you know if there have been any studies done in your area to suggest why?

Great posts ladies, thanks so much for participating.

Corinne , agree with you totally about drinking water, between 1.5 and 2 litres daily, i believe it should be plain water though, some suggest that any fluids count which I don't agree with . For instance my SIL drinks nothing on coffee all day , maybe 10+ cups a day. Not good. I think that must have a detrimental effect on your energy, I'm sure it's false energy.

Dpoppy, was it food was only eaten in season, no microwaves, no fast ,frozen or processed foods. And of course much, much more physical activity? Yes the preservatives can't be good for us. I try and grow a lot of our own vegetables, if I cut a lettuce in the afternoon, it'll be wilted and deteriorating in ashort time, you would be cutting a fresh one every other day at least but a lettuce you buy in the shops can last a couple of weeks! Not good.

It's interesting that it's so common where you live Rinn. Do you know if there have been any studies done in your area to suggest why?

I'm only assuming here Corinne but a lot of the people I know here would eat a lot of fries, ham, low fiber, cups of tea but little or no water, little or no fruit and veg...all individually known to be bad for bowel health so when the diet is a collection of all these , it's a recipe for disaster I guess.

I have ulcerative colitis and although I am in remission at the moment I never feel well. Hope this isn't too much information but sometimes I don't go to the loo for days and I get such bad wind all the time but everytime I try to eat healthily I just feel really bloated and uncomfortable and I almost feel better eating crap! It's annoying because I really want to eat better to help my body but I can't feel terrible all the time. My tummy gets so bloated at times that I look pregnant and my trousers are so tight I have to leave them undone :( if anyone has any experience of this id really appreciate some advice. Also I find eating healthily a nightmare to know what's good and what's not for example I've been having soya milk instead of regular milk as it makes me feel better but I read an article on that the other day about how many hormones are in it and that's bad! I can't win!

I have ulcerative colitis and although I am in remission at the moment I never feel well. Hope this isn't too much information but sometimes I don't go to the loo for days and I get such bad wind all the time but everytime I try to eat healthily I just feel really bloated and uncomfortable and I almost feel better eating crap! It's annoying because I really want to eat better to help my body but I can't feel terrible all the time. My tummy gets so bloated at times that I look pregnant and my trousers are so tight I have to leave them undone :( if anyone has any experience of this id really appreciate some advice. Also I find eating healthily a nightmare to know what's good and what's not for example I've been having soya milk instead of regular milk as it makes me feel better but I read an article on that the other day about how many hormones are in it and that's bad! I can't win!

A nutritional therapist could really help you. If you look up the British association of nutritional therapists (BANT). you might get someone who's close by you . It's worth a shot.

A nutritional therapist could really help you. If you look up the British association of nutritional therapists (BANT). you might get someone who's close by you . It's worth a shot.

Thanks Rinn will have a look. I've seen a dietician at the hospital but that was pretty pointless really. Will give it a go x

Almond or rice milk is good, it is very confusing I agree, over the years we have been fed lots of confusing information.

I would defiantly take Rinn's advice as I went to see one about 10 years ago to help with my ME and it was amazing the difference I felt.
It was really hard at first but I remember feeling amazing!
I've since tried to go back to the same lady but she moved abroad but I'll take Rinns advice and see if anyone near me.
Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back