Difficult client tips, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplerose

Reaction score
I had a brand new (older) client get a Shellac on hands and feet last Thursday (22nd Aug). She contacted me 3 days later to say that 3 of her nails had chipped. I asked her if she could take a photo of them and send it to me so that I could assess the nails. She said she couldnt so I said I would fix them for her. My next available appointment was not until the following Thursday (I dont work everyday). She arrived to my salon on Monday but I was busy and could not see her. Thursday arrived (yesterday) and she never showed for her appointment. My salon is by appointment only and you have to ring the bell to be let in. Her appointment was at 5:30pm. By 5:40pm I rang her to see if she was coming, but I got her voicemail, I went to the door to see if anyone was sitting outside, then I sent her a text. I closed the salon at 6pm as she was my last appointment.
I then get a text from her at 8pm last night to say she was very unhappy with me. She got there at 5:20pm, rang the bell, got no answer and apparently waited until 5:45pm. (If she did, she wasnt outside when I checked!! And why didnt she ring me to say that she was there!) Now she is asking when I will be free to fix her nails!
How do I put it nicely that it is well over a week so that natural regrowth, etc will have happened and I will not be able to fix her nails without charging my usual price?!?

How frustrating! Luckily I've not had this happen to me (yet) but I can honestly say you've answered your own question.
She's trying to get a "free one" out of you, tell her that she's now over the 14 days that Shellac is "guaranteed" for. Also explain to her that they may have chipped or come away if she was not following aftercare, which would void the 14 day thing completely. If she had a genuine problem she would've found a way to show you the damage and she would've answered her phone when you called her the day of the appointment!
Tell her you'll replace the shellac at your full price, if she refuses and says she's going elsewhere... Let her! You don't need clients like that!
Hope this makes sense and hope it helps! X

I can understand. I hate it when something never goes to plan, and when you try and get to "see" the problem, there is nothing shown or excuses. But i agree with Poseidon94, you have to keep your business going so you need to explain its full price as it was pass the date and time given etc, and if she refuses, then not a problem, you'll always get other clients.

A couple of quick comments: presumably you left a voice message and there was your text which will prove that you were there and waiting for her.

You cannot 'guarantee' a 2 week wear for Shellac especially for a new client as has been suggested

And there are not always plenty of clients to replace a 'difficult' one especially if your 'book' is not full

You have your phone log so you need to be comfortable with arguing with her and sticking to you guns or doing a bit 'damage limitations' customer care

Did you get a quick look at her nails on Monday? X

I had a brand new (older) client get a Shellac on hands and feet last Thursday (22nd Aug). She contacted me 3 days later to say that 3 of her nails had chipped. I asked her if she could take a photo of them and send it to me so that I could assess the nails. She said she couldnt so I said I would fix them for her. My next available appointment was not until the following Thursday (I dont work everyday). She arrived to my salon on Monday but I was busy and could not see her. Thursday arrived (yesterday) and she never showed for her appointment. My salon is by appointment only and you have to ring the bell to be let in. Her appointment was at 5:30pm. By 5:40pm I rang her to see if she was coming, but I got her voicemail, I went to the door to see if anyone was sitting outside, then I sent her a text. I closed the salon at 6pm as she was my last appointment.
I then get a text from her at 8pm last night to say she was very unhappy with me. She got there at 5:20pm, rang the bell, got no answer and apparently waited until 5:45pm. (If she did, she wasnt outside when I checked!! And why didnt she ring me to say that she was there!) Now she is asking when I will be free to fix her nails!
How do I put it nicely that it is well over a week so that natural regrowth, etc will have happened and I will not be able to fix her nails without charging my usual price?!?

You're not going to like my answer, but I think this poor client has received very poor service from you and that she deserves a free service, and I don't often say that.

She let you know very promptly, within 3 days, that for whatever reason, her manicure was not lasting.
YOU decide you can't see her for a week (?) because YOU have decided in your business not to work every day ... That is not offering anyone service. That is no customer service IMO

She made the effort to arrive at your salon in good time to show you her nails but you couldn't even take a quick look at them for her? You were. Too busy? I think that is pretty shocking and didn't even show her common courtesy.

So it becomes past 14 days and because you couldn't/wouldn't see her in a timely fashion you have now decided to play the 'well it's past 7 days so I can't do anything and you are going to have to pay for it', card.!!

I think this lady according to your own version, has had shocking treatment from you. And that you should completely refund or re-do her nails. If not, I think you deserve to loose her custom.

I don't think this client is 'looking for a freebie' I think she just wanted her manicure fixed after 3 days as anyone would, and got no help from you ... I as a client would be very very annoyed had I been treated the way she has.

Last edited:
If I paid for a manicure and it chipped after 3 days then these things happen but to be told nothing could be done for a week I would be seriously p'd off.

Great Customer service is not special it's expected and never forgotten.

Treat others how you'd like to be treated

I have to agree with Geeg.

I don't work everyday infact until school starts up again I only do 1 day a week BUT when I've had clients having issues I put them in, I open up and get them happy with their nails again.
Its actions like this that give clients the feel good factor and will of course happily pass on your details. Word of mouth is so important in our field!!

So, call her up, apologise for not fitting her in sooner and give her that free treatment she deserves before you do lose her.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have to say although I sometimes flinch at Geeg's no nonsense approach to saying it how it is, I completely agree with everything that has been said.

I work my nail business around another part-time job but if any of my clients (and especially a new one) have experienced issues within the first week of a treatment I would do my utmost to accommodate them and rectify the problem, even if that meant working earlier or later than normal or opening up the diary on a day when I do not normally take appointments, including a Sunday if necessary.

Never under estimate the power of word of mouth when it comes to poor customer service.

I completely agree.
I work 4 days a week in a nursery and work 2 days a week being mobile.
I have just sorted two clients out with there extensions recently. I have gone back to them when it was convenient for them and not for me and have completely sorted it out and did it for free. You have to look after your clients. Without them you have no business!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Agree with Geeg, she let you know after 3 days and you didn't offer her an appointment until another 4 days later? Surely for the sake of a couple of Shellac nails, you could've spared an extra 20 minutes either side of your day?

I have a child and even if it meant him sitting there as my babysitter may not have been able to stay that extra time I'd ensure for my own reputation that I'd go the extra mile to keep the client happy, bearing in mind it's not her fault.

Latest posts

Back