Difficult Massage Client (long Post sorry)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I defo agree it best not to continue your relationship with any of her family.

I also wanted to send you a massive *hug* as that mustve been awful for you hun xx

ohh that's awful , what a dreadful experience , i feel for you.
But i would definitely 100% not have them back in to my salon , remember your the boss you can do what you like and if something makes you feel uncomftable in your own workplace its just a big no ,no.

we had a similar experience with a male and the police got involved ( before i had my salon) and it turned out he had been going round the same area doing exactly the same to other therapists so its a good job he had been reported for the safety of other therapists in the area he was set to target next.

Hope you feel better and never see them again x

After being up and running for three months undertaken excllent training and having had a few funny/difficult/nice clients I have met the mother of all difficult ones. I am interested to hear how more experienced therapists would deal with this one! trying to keep it short first visit, 35 year old turns ups with her mother, i was unsure who the treament was for due to the crazy booking phone call I had received. It turned out to be mother although the daughter stayed for the whole full body Swedish massage talking and helping me by whisking towels and cushions out my hand. The lady was my last appointment that day and as soon as I had completed the massage to cries of "how do keep your arms in such good condition" the daughter asked for a manicure for mum due to a family event the next day long story short I did a file and polish. Daughter then tries to book a 8.30 full body for the next day, after explaning I do not book before 10 o clock she very reluctantly went, also during the file and polish she picked every nail colour/product up and tried to tell me how much better her own varnish was. I then did two very difficult massage for the daughter and sister the following week which included dealing with a two week old baby and eight year old. She booked and paid for eight treatments for mum and a further one for her self and bought a gift voucher. She can for a full body Swedish bringing her young daughter which was again a very difficult treatment to carry out professionally but I do feel I did the best in the circumstances, on finishing she promptly pushed me into a seat and began massaging my neck! it took me a couple of seconds to work out what was happening buy which time she was attempting to remove my tunic! during which it turned into a scuffle. I stood up and told her it was not acceptable to act in this way but she did not seem to understand and simply said she would let me know when she required her next treatment and went waving and smiling. I am going to refund her final payment but I do not know if I should refund the eight she bought her mother, she will not be in the country when her mother comes and her mother enjoyed her treatment very much i feel guilty, it is not about the money I gave her a very good discount for the bookings due to amount, your thoughts would be very helpful as this has upset me. Sorry for the length of the post but it is not an easy situation to explain.

Oh my god!! I am shocked. Read this after you directed me from another post. I know it may sound a bit OTT but this woman attempted to assault you and there is no way she should be allowed to get away with it just because she is female, if she were a man things could have been a lot more serious. I feel you should report what happened to the police, the next therpist she tries to get all handsy with may not be as able to defend herself. How dare she!!? x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

gosh i am appalled. I cant believe you havent reported this woman for assault! I dont care who it is or isnt, she stepped out of line, tried to remove clothing.

Its an assault and if it were me id be reporting her. Also re the other treatments , I would be refunding and asking the police to return the money and infomring her that she is banned and why.

its awful and im appalled that you went through that!

tigi
xx

How very strange! How old was the mother? The only time i would allow another into a room whilst doing a treatment would be if a carer needed to be present,or a parent if treating a minor. im not sure a massage could be very relaxing with another person there talking?
as for trying to take off my tunic- i would show her my essex acts licence-proving im reputable! certainly not refund & call the police!

Only you can really say whether you thought she intended to actually assault you.
You say that the daughter works in a different country so if they are a different nationality maybe they have a different way about them and come from a touchy feely culture.
Remember many countries hug,kiss eachother all the time, men as well, and also many cultures use forms of massaging eachother from babies to adulthood.
What we consider odd may just be different.

Just to add.Remember you are in control.You are providing the service YOUR way from the out you need to be confident and assured.Do not let other people/clients take control over your service and your working space.
Set rules in your working environment and stick with them.
You will find all sorts off ways some clients can take advantage if you let them. By wanting to borrow varnishes to turning up with their kids and no money.You must become a stronger person its all part of ongoing training but start as you mean to go on.

Last edited:
OMG! This is shocking - hope you are ok.

At first as I was reading your post I thought maybe she might have a medical condition, maybe altistic (sp) or something else that would give a different behaviour. I am being very careful with wording here as I would hate to offend anyone.

I think I would say just one person is allowed in the room at a time, & the daughter made you feel very uncomfortable so will not be seeing her again & she is not to attend/come along with her mum! x

Only you can really say whether you thought she intended to actually assault you.
You say that the daughter works in a different country so if they are a different nationality maybe they have a different way about them and come from a touchy feely culture.
Remember many countries hug,kiss eachother all the time, men as well, and also many cultures use forms of massaging eachother from babies to adulthood.
What we consider odd may just be different.

Excellent point!
That could be the case.
I once had a new client from a different nationality & during her appointment she gave me 3 big hugs! She was just really friendly & did not make me feel uncomfortable - but that is a good point to make! x

Excellent point!
That could be the case.
I once had a new client from a different nationality & during her appointment she gave me 3 big hugs! She was just really friendly & did not make me feel uncomfortable - but that is a good point to make! x

Yours was too Emma she might have had something like Aspergers.We do need to be aware of conditions like this.

"if it was a male"......
What difference does that make?
If youve been assaulted by male or female then you should call the police!!
The gender of the client has nothing to do with it!!!

Definately agree on this one. It sounds like she was trying to come on to you. Don't hesitate. Call the police!

Yes yes, this one is definitely for the police to deal with. And sounds like this isn't the 1st time she's done this!!

If you seriously believe that the women was trying to sexually assault you then yes get the police involved but be very aware of the implications and be very sure that you really believed this was her motive.Because the police will take the accusation very seriously..they have to.
So she will almost certainly be arrested and charged and if it goes to the cps it may get thrown out which will probably be the case through lack of evidence or it may go to court,crown court.Whatever happens her life and reputation will be in ruins or maybe yours will so its all very well saying get the police involved but it will become very very serious from then on.

Just to add.Remember you are in control.You are providing the service YOUR way from the out you need to be confident and assured.Do not let other people/clients take control over your service and your working space.
Set rules in your working environment and stick with them.
You will find all sorts off ways some clients can take advantage if you let them. By wanting to borrow varnishes to turning up with their kids and no money.You must become a stronger person its all part of ongoing training but start as you mean to go on.
Completely agree with this.

Only you will be able to judge if it was assault or not, but from what you have said, I suspect she may well be one of those who think they know (or want to know) it all and was pushing the boundaries, especially as it seems that she has taken over more on each visit.
I don't allow anyone else in my treatment room unless it is a child.
Some clients are a pain (and have no idea), so it is down to you to set the rules.

Latest posts

Back