Disaster - nails falling off whole.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemzj

Reaction score
Ok i posted on thursday to ask if i could use shellac on enhanced nails (gel) and the response was yes (this is what my client wanted)
Anyway on friday (yesterday morning) I applied natural tips (with CND gelbond)- blended - applied gel (not to thick) then applied shellac and cured.
3 have fallen off and when i say fallen off i mean the whole enhancement (tip, product and shellac all in one piece)
what have i done wrong????
i didnt scrubfresh the finished enhanced nail before applying shellac but then again that would not be the casue because the whole thing has fallen off x 3 - she is a hairdresser and i made them short.
she has literally well bitten nails and tiny tiny fingers - please help i could cry this has never happened before and now i am scared xx:cry:

It's probably a lot to do with her very short bitten nail beds would be my guess. Not a lot there for the enhancement to adhere to, plus if she is a biter she may have helped them off a bit with her teeth!

One other thing though re the shellac application I would have removed the inhibition layer from the gel enhancements & lightly buffed the surface before application. Not 100% sure if you need to do both these things tho, maybe someone who has applied it over gel can confirm? Have only used it on natural nails so far tho as I find polish stays on well over enhancements anyway.

I did this on one nail.....I had 1 broken nail so i tipped and used Brisa gel and then Shellac. This nail came off relatively easily the next day when i flushed the toilet. I normally wear CND l&p which lasts for weeks on me and has only come off with extreme trauma so I did post on here and the general consensus was that I didnt build the apex enough for strength (ive only just been trained in Brisa so had no experience of it on my own nails). I havent replaced the nail yet to see if it makes any difference doing this so Ill be interested to see your replies........

It's probably a lot to do with her very short bitten nail beds would be my guess. Not a lot there for the enhancement to adhere to, plus if she is a biter she may have helped them off a bit with her teeth!

One other thing though re the shellac application I would have removed the inhibition layer from the gel enhancements & lightly buffed the surface before application. Not 100% sure if you need to do both these things tho, maybe someone who has applied it over gel can confirm? Have only used it on natural nails so far tho as I find polish stays on well over enhancements anyway.

see she normally has gels, i have done acrylics on her and they last but the gels were done elsewhere so its my first gels on her, i used my brisa lamp but with some gel i had spare - the only clear gel i had - it wasnt brisa but surely the lamp cured it better than my bog standard lamp x

If the nails came off in 1 bit then they wearnt on to start with , that's nouthing to do with the shellac shellac is just a color think of it as a polish with benifits!

Like already said it could be down to her natral nails or lack of them, or could it be your prep or aplication of the gel?
What prep did you do?
What gel did you use ?
How many layers ect
did you cap

When you finished building the nail did you remove inhabition , shape , and then do your finish gloss?

Oh don't be to sure of that (eply to the written it couldn't be the gel thing LOL, not the above posted). Always use the lamp designed to go with the system. The Brisa doesn't cure anything better than other lamps, it is just the only thing that cures Brisa and Shellac.

In this case it could have been a number of things, I will bet everything I own that it has nothing to do with you putting Shellac over enhancements, or leaving inhibitionlayer on top...

The very well bitten nails could be a major issue, but so can the incompatible gel and lamp too. In this case you just don't know for sure, and you wont be able to know which it was, but trust me shellac has nothing to do with it:hug:

see she normally has gels, i have done acrylics on her and they last but the gels were done elsewhere so its my first gels on her, i used my brisa lamp but with some gel i had spare - the only clear gel i had - it wasnt brisa but surely the lamp cured it better than my bog standard lamp x

posted at same time ,
ok short nails ect won't have helped but you have to use the recomended light for the gel , with out the right light anything you do is trial and error really ,
there's soooo many threads on this at the mo , I can't give you the link to doug schoons site ( I'm on my phone) but someone else might give you the link there's an essey he wrote about curing UV gel and the right light I think every nail tech shuld read it .

If the nails came off in 1 bit then they wearnt on to start with , that's nouthing to do with the shellac shellac is just a color think of it as a polish with benifits!

Like already said it could be down to her natral nails or lack of them, or could it be your prep or aplication of the gel?
What prep did you do?
What gel did you use ?
How many layers ect
did you cap

When you finished building the nail did you remove inhabition , shape , and then do your finish gloss?

i know its not the shellac i just wanted to explain what i did, i sanitized, cuticle away, wiped clean, scrubfreshed, buffed, applied tip with glue, blended, dusted off, primed, applied 3 coats of gel curing in between.
it obviously is my fault somewhere, i will try again and use the older lamp with this gel

posted at same time ,
ok short nails ect won't have helped but you have to use the recomended light for the gel , with out the right light anything you do is trial and error really ,
there's soooo many threads on this at the mo , I can't give you the link to doug schoons site ( I'm on my phone) but someone else might give you the link there's an essey he wrote about curing UV gel and the right light I think every nail tech shuld read it .

i know - i should know better really - thanks for advice everyone

Ok i posted on thursday to ask if i could use shellac on enhanced nails (gel) and the response was yes (this is what my client wanted)
Anyway on friday (yesterday morning) I applied natural tips (with CND gelbond)- blended - applied gel (not to thick) then applied shellac and cured.
3 have fallen off and when i say fallen off i mean the whole enhancement (tip, product and shellac all in one piece)
what have i done wrong????
i didnt scrubfresh the finished enhanced nail before applying shellac but then again that would not be the casue because the whole thing has fallen off x 3 - she is a hairdresser and i made them short.
she has literally well bitten nails and tiny tiny fingers - please help i could cry this has never happened before and now i am scared xx:cry:

If you look back at the responses to your posts they were suggesting for you to 'try and see', some rules can be broken some not, all I can suggest is that shellac would not cause your gel enhancments to lift, it would be more probably be prep, issue or other.

Shellac has no reason to be used on gel, L&P nails, however if you want o spend another 40 min and your client wants to pay then , why not, however traditional enamel with topcoat will work fine or, just gel topcoat. x

If you look back at the responses to your posts they were suggesting for you to 'try and see', some rules can be broken some not, all I can suggest is that shellac would not cause your gel enhancments to lift, it would be more probably be prep, issue or other.

Shellac has no reason to be used on gel, L&P nails, however if you want o spend another 40 min and your client wants to pay then , why not, however traditional enamel with topcoat will work fine or, just gel topcoat. x

ensure that you remove surface shine of gel with 180 grit file then shellac

Oh don't be to sure of that (eply to the written it couldn't be the gel thing LOL, not the above posted). Always use the lamp designed to go with the system. The Brisa doesn't cure anything better than other lamps, it is just the only thing that cures Brisa and Shellac.

In this case it could have been a number of things, I will bet everything I own that it has nothing to do with you putting Shellac over enhancements, or leaving inhibitionlayer on top...

The very well bitten nails could be a major issue, but so can the incompatible gel and lamp too. In this case you just don't know for sure, and you wont be able to know which it was, but trust me shellac has nothing to do with it:hug:

I agree totally. It will have nothing to do with the Shellac and is almost certainly using the Brisa lamp without using Brisa Gel! :)

Hi just a thought but you say you scrub freshed before you applied the tip if I remember correctly this should only be done after applying tip and only to the natural nail and not where the tip is as scrubfresh or similar will weaken the bond under the tip and if she has such tiny nails this might account for it. Incidentally I wear brisa gel nails and have been wearing shellac ever since the "event" and I have had no problems at all " really" lol.

Latest posts

Back