Discounting products because a client says it is cheaper online?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanie_87

Reaction score
I had a customer walk into my salon today off the street and asked how much a conditioner was. I told the lady the price and she said "oh ok, I'll leave it, I can get it cheaper online" I just replied "ok thanks very much, take care". The lady wasn't horrible about it, she just said she was able to get it cheaper. Afterwards my partner said I should have just sold it for the price she had seen it online for. He said selling a product for slightly less profit is better than not selling it at all. I just absolutely hate discounting my products and services but am starting to think I am wrong. What do you other geeks think???

Hey.

Im sure others will post their views so heres mine.

Was she a regular client to your salon?
If so i would reply online companies dont have the overheads that salons do and probably buy in mass bulk so affording them to sell for less online,however in the salon you have the overheads and normally when purchasing retail it will be when clients have been in for a service.

If she wasnt a regular i certainly wouldnt have discounted!!

I definatly wouldnt lower my prices on retail or anything else or even start getting into that whole competition thing if im honest

My clients pay my price for my services and pay my price for retail.

x

She may well get it cheaper online, but did she factor in postage? Also when ordering online she doesn't get it "now" as she would from you. You are much more convenient.

I too loathe to give discount because it can be bought elsewhere. If it was a minimal difference and I genuinely thought she was nice I may have said "ok well as you are a good client I would like to offer you a one off discount if you would like the product today at the same price" however was it a product recommendation? As to KNOW the item was cheaper online after you suggested it seems a little sus to me. She may just use the line in an effort to gain discount from people (I know my boyfriend would regularly be happy to try that one - I wouldn't).

Another problem with discounting is that if they tell people you did it for them... others sometimes begin to expect a discount too and it snowballs. I think you did the right thing :)

Last edited:
This is the reason we don't allow our salons to sell SwissDermyl online. I wish I had a penny for every time people have said "thank goodness" about that!
We had a call only today from a lady who has a big salon and has been with another well known brand of skincare for years. She said she's fed up with people buying it from Jersey and on eBay, and was thrilled that we said we police it vigorously.
We are all about protecting our salons' revenues!

If she can get it cheaper elsewhere then toddle along to there. Does she realise many items are only guaranteed when bought at a salon? Do you reduce your price when someone says oh I can get x at another shop and do it myself? No! So why discount unless its a sale of stock you want to shift? Xoxo

We have to accept that the internet is where a lot of business is going, I offer discount to clients that book treatments, sadly as more people buy online we have to change how we sell or risk ending up with shelves full of unsold stock. I would say in future that yes she can get it cheaper online but could you offer her a free consult to check that shes using the correct products....people like to buy off people imo.

I would have offer 20% discount and remind her she would need to pay P&P if she goes on-line.
Less profit is better than no profit.

We have to accept that the internet is where a lot of business is going, I offer discount to clients that book treatments, sadly as more people buy online we have to change how we sell or risk ending up with shelves full of unsold stock. I would say in future that yes she can get it cheaper online but could you offer her a free consult to check that shes using the correct products....people like to buy off people imo.

I understand your sentiments completely but I would expand on the positives to clients. There is something much more exclusive about buying from a salon;

1-2-1 consultation - offer a skin consultation
Genuine products guaranteed
Build a client/therapist relationship
No postage
Regular reviews
Correct product purchase can be less costly in the long run

This is the reason we don't allow our salons to sell SwissDermyl online. I wish I had a penny for every time people have said "thank goodness" about that!
We had a call only today from a lady who has a big salon and has been with another well known brand of skincare for years. She said she's fed up with people buying it from Jersey and on eBay, and was thrilled that we said we police it vigorously.
We are all about protecting our salons' revenues!

I think I know which company you're talking about Lynn as I use and stock their products, just the other day I had a client buy a product and then brought it back and said "I can get it on line for quite a bit cheaper, I'd like my money back". I offered a discount but I couldn't compete with the on line "Jersey" company as I'm a small business and have to pay postage & packaging:(

If I had the money I would get rid of the lot and go with a decent company who look after their therapists and stockist.

I understand your sentiments completely but I would expand on the positives to clients. There is something much more exclusive about buying from a salon;

1-2-1 consultation - offer a skin consultation
Genuine products guaranteed
Build a client/therapist relationship
No postage
Regular reviews
Correct product purchase can be less costly in the long run

Sorry hon, I should have clarified but yes this is actually what I was getting at and is in fact what I do, but unfortunately there will always be a percentage of people that want the cheapest option.

Latest posts

Back