DIY acrylics!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenorcutie

CND EA
Reaction score
so yesterday i receive a phone call at the salon from a lady who needed some advise.....................................................
her daughter has been doing her own acrylics (untrained) and spilt nail glue all over her kitchen sideboard:irked:.............and wiped it off with HER HAND!!! shed stuck all her fingers together and they were burning. she said her hands were all blistered and she'd lost the skin on the top of her fingers.

The mother told me she had rubbed yogurt over them to sooth them but wondered if when id done my training i was told what would remove this much glue from skin.

WELL..................i really felt like saying "actually no, i dont know how to remove that much glue from the skin because no TRAINED nail tech would be so stupid as to wipe a whole bottle of nail glue up with their hand!

This really really bugged me. no wonder ppl think acrylics are damaging when you get people like this doing it for themselves.

Then to make matters worse we had an 18year old coming in to get glammed up for her party and when i asked what she was getting she replied "oooohhh ive asked for an acrylic nail kit, so i cant wait to do everyones nails"
i had to walk away before i punched her!

How do you deal with these people? its hard enough learning to do acrylics properly when you've had training. nevermind just buying a kit and away you go.
Rant over.......promise

Haha, I have to say I found both of these things funny! Your first girl has found out for herself how dangerous mucking about with chemicals can be, lesson learned! She won't make that mistake again, and her mum will probably ban the products from the house. As for your 18 year old, she's probably going to attempt doing her friends nails, who more than likely wouldn't pay salon prices to have them done anyway. They'll go around with shocking looking nails (that probably won't last more than a couple of days anyway), who knows, it might just spark enough interest in her to get proper training, if not she'll end up giving up because it's so much harder than it looks. They are so not a threat to your business, there'll always be people who want to give it a go, but they'll never be as good as you.

They now sell acrylic & gel kits in supermarkets!!! :(

When I was food shopping on Friday there was a bunch of young girls deciding on which to get for there sleep over!!

xx

oh god, i bet their mums will love having to pick acrylic off the carpet and acetone burn rings on her wooden furniture!

it just made me mad! especially the 18year old as if i was getting a dodgy kit to do myself then id be the last person id tell (if that makes sense!) i wouldnt be going to the nearest nail tech and saying "woohoo im getting an acrylic kit!"
as long as she doesnt phone and ask me for advise when she glues herself to her client!!!​

I dont so much hate that they are doing it - because i know they are gonna end up giving up because they are getting rubbish results. I hate that some people will sit in front of you telling you that they are gonna do it on them, and then on everyone, as if its just as easy as that, as if our job isnt a skill!

I had a party a few weeks ago, and one of the girls said she would like shellac, so she can see how i do it before she buys it. Because "they are like £17 a bottle you know!?" (im guessing thats the going rate on ebay) after telling her you dont just buy one colour and paint it on i got "oh yeah i know you need a lamp but they are only like £10" :eek: I give up on her after she argued that she wouldnt need a base or top coat because we say you need those for normal polish and she has worn normal polish without them fine before. Ommmmggg i just wanted to say to her do you understand how stupid you sound!

Then when leaving she said.. "you know how iv had my nails done by you now, can you get those polishes any cheaper than £17"

My oh my!!

ive lost count of how many time ive been asked where you can buy shellac and is it expensive because it looks soooo easy to do!

i love telling them its only available to professionals who have done the relevant training. Usually the price of the lamp alone puts them off :D

ive lost count of how many time ive been asked where you can buy shellac and is it expensive because it looks soooo easy to do!

i love telling them its only available to professionals who have done the relevant training. Usually the price of the lamp alone puts them off :D

I had the same when I had placed a ad on a selling page on fb, I had someone asking me about where she could buy the gel and brushes etc, when I told her she would need a uv lamp to cure the gel she was a bit miffed as to why. I had to laugh and had great fun in telling her why. Her response was "oh so that's why it's always sticky" x

come on ... most of us have had a go from an early age at doing our own manicures ... leg waxing ... hair ... nails ... facials etc and we are maybe not trained in those things! People (especially teens) are always gong to give it a try. Let them get on with it and make their messes. It's part of growing up. It's only to be hoped they do not get hurt in the process. Nail adhesive is dangerous stuff in the wrong hands .. potentially one of the most dangerous.

Supermarkets are full of hair dyes for people to dye their own hair and they also sell hairdressing scissors for people to cut their hair.......but its not driving Hairdressers out of business, because they are professionals and the amateur can't hope to get the same results.
It's the same with us......people will always have a go at doing their own nails, but won't do very well without training, training is the key! Without training you are and always will be an amateur.
So I say go and buy your silly Rio kits and try it! I will see you when you realise you are not professional!

Im quite lucky because i use Bio Gel and you can only buy it through the company after training with them. Also if your cought buying it off ebay they have threatend to sue people. I dont think that people should be aloud to buy gel and acrylic products inless youv done the training!!!

I think te first girl and her mother have much more to worry about than glued together fingers and a damaged worktop, the clear lack of any common sense never mind intelligance!

The second girl, good luck to her. You only have to look at the number of threads on here from Geeks who have had training that are having problems. Those that want to buy cheap products of a supermarket shelf, let them, if you have done even half a decent job on their nails they will realise they can't get anywhere near that with their DIY kits.

They have been selling these kits in one form or another for must be over 20 years, I can remember getting one and making a right mess, must have been about 12/13. It made the stick on ones look good :D

14 yrs ago I was bought a DIY fibreglass nail kit for Christmas from my parents.:o It was from boots and yes I got in a right old mess! :irked:Didnt Put me off though and look at me now! My gel nails are not perfect yet but getting there - have had many happy customers and my Shellac business is Booming! I've also dyed my own hair successfully and unsuccessfully, waxed my own legs before qualifying etc etc. Yes DIY is not ideal, but it is inevitable. It's always been there and always will.

The professional treatments are there for those that need and want them so that is your target market and who you should be aiming for. DIYers will not make us surplus to requirements believe me! :D

E x

When I was younger I got a uv gel kit bought as a surprise for Christmas. I wasn't qualified but as it was available in a catalogue and came with instructions, my mum obviously didn't think much to it. When they are available this way, some people don't think they are actually doing anything wrong

Luckily I only did my own nails, and looking back they weren't the best :) but it made me realise that I love doing nails and here I am qualified :)

You will always get people who DIY. Hopefully they will go on to do a course and learn properly like I did. Sadly for those who choose not to do courses, and let themselves loose on the paying public without insurance etc then more fool them. I wouldn't worry about it xxx

When I was younger I got a uv gel kit bought as a surprise for Christmas. I wasn't qualified but as it was available in a catalogue and came with instructions, my mum obviously didn't think much to it. When they are available this way, some people don't think they are actually doing anything wrong

But they aren't doing anything wrong! They are buying a kit aimed at use by the general public from a legitimate source. It's the ones that are obtaining professional products through dodgy sources, or imitation products and trying to pass themselves and their products off as something they are not that are doing something wrong.

I think it's really important to make the distinction and not lump everyone into the same category to be scoffed at.

Just like we can slate all discount salons, an awful lot of people go to them regularly and never have any problems, just like an awful lot of people go to trained, insured techs and do have problems. We can sit here and feel superior because we are trained but I bet a lot of them are more skilfull than a lot of us.

And lets face it, more people have died from home hair dye kits then ever have, or are likely to, from home nail kits.

I started with a DIY kit! And it went from there, not ling after i did a correspondence online starter course, retail cosmetics (make up, skin care, mani pedi) then did my cert three in nail technology, now i have my cnd master qualification :) truth is... We all start somewhere ;) no matter the mess we make!

But they aren't doing anything wrong! They are buying a kit aimed at use by the general public from a legitimate source. It's the ones that are obtaining professional products through dodgy sources, or imitation products and trying to pass themselves and their products off as something they are not that are doing something wrong.

I think it's really important to make the distinction and not lump everyone into the same category to be scoffed at.

Just like we can slate all discount salons, an awful lot of people go to them regularly and never have any problems, just like an awful lot of people go to trained, insured techs and do have problems. We can sit here and feel superior because we are trained but I bet a lot of them are more skilfull than a lot of us.

And lets face it, more people have died from home hair dye kits then ever have, or are likely to, from home nail kits.

I didn't say they were doing anything wrong, it is how i started so i'd be a hypocrite if i said it was wrong. What I meant was because they are so readily available in catalogues to the public who aren't qualified, they won't realise how some qualified in the industry feel about it. Sorry, I'm not the best at wording things :) xx

I didn't say they were doing anything wrong, it is how i started so i'd be a hypocrite if i said it was wrong. What I meant was because they are so readily available in catalogues to the public who aren't qualified, they won't realise how some qualified in the industry feel about it. Sorry, I'm not the best at wording things :) xx

:hug: I get what you mean, I didn't quote you to have a go, it was just that you said some people buying these kits don't realise they are doing anything wrong.

I just don't think anyone should get too het up about DIY kits. If people are happy walking round sporting lumpy, bumpy, one nail on, one nail off sets then let them get on with it. If that is the standard they are happy with they will never see the value in what you can do for them, and they will never be the Clients you want to, or will ever, build a long lasting relationship with.

Don't think I'll b the only one to have got nail glue on their self.....lid stuck on and I'm ashamed to say I used my teeth to try n open. Oh dear, glue on teeth not good look! Fortunately it was only my sis sat in front of me laughin her head off! X

Latest posts

Back